Another old banger for transport

Brithunter

Bearing in mind the reception my post received about the Audi A6 and some of the comments made especially about it's age. It being a 95 vintage car well I have now got the chance to compare it with a another old banger that is only a few years younger but once again of the "executive" class of motor. This time there is still Germanic influence but from BMW this time as the car was designed an developed under their auspices and ownership.

The car in question is a Rover 75 2.5L Connoisseur:-

P9160239.jpg

of 2000 vintage so yep it's 12 years old. This one only has 80k on the clock though. Powered by the same KV6 engine as used in the Freelander:-

P9200253_zps73e47852.jpg

Well it's a very different beast to drive from the Audi that's for sure. It feels more solid and the ride reminds me of the XJ6 Jaguar 4.2L Series 2. A friend bought a 74 LWB one in 1978/9 so it was hardly an old nail before someone says so :p. Sitting in the drivers seat the shape of the windscreen from inside and the shape of the front side windows and pillars brought back memories of even earlier and an older friend at work picked up a really nice condition Mk11 2.4 Jaguar. I had not thought of Eddie in years yet sitting in the drivers seat brought it all back. He got that dark blue Jaguar in 1977 as I recall.

The Audi is certainly "sportier" than the Rover 75 and has a firmer ride but on the whole I prefer the Rover to drive it's more relaxing and certainly comfortable. Oh yes the Rover 75's are also cheap to buy :D. Now I have to find a copy of Autocar and read their review of the 75 ands ee what they have to say and see I agree with it.

Got an estate 75 cdti, top car, my second one actually, returns 55-60 mpg, BMW engine, solid car and cheap! I could sell it all day long even with 100k on it!

Not the best of engines , head gaskets can be a problem, steel liners in an alloy block when you lift the head the liners tend to come with it, expensive job, was quoted £2500 for a head gasket job by Land Rover dealer

£2,500! you could just go out and by a new (used) Defender 90 circa 1972 with 250,000 miles on the clock, fraying insides, rusting and with door panels in 5 different colours.

My son has not long sold his one, same spec I think, only real fault was fuel consumption.
It never got better than 25mpg, and he drives like an old woman, around town you could watch the fuel gauge drop.
But it was very reliable and extremely comfortable, I liked it, but wouldn't want to run it myself.

Neil. :)

Bearing in mind the reception my post received about the Audi A6 and some of the comments made especially about it's age. It being a 95 vintage car well I have now got the chance to compare it with a another old banger that is only a few years younger but once again of the "executive" class of motor. This time there is still Germanic influence but from BMW this time as the car was designed an developed under their auspices and ownership.

The car in question is a Rover 75 2.5L Connoisseur:-

P9160239.jpg

of 2000 vintage so yep it's 12 years old. This one only has 80k on the clock though. Powered by the same KV6 engine as used in the Freelander:-

P9200253_zps73e47852.jpg

Well it's a very different beast to drive from the Audi that's for sure. It feels more solid and the ride reminds me of the XJ6 Jaguar 4.2L Series 2. A friend bought a 74 LWB one in 1978/9 so it was hardly an old nail before someone says so :p. Sitting in the drivers seat the shape of the windscreen from inside and the shape of the front side windows and pillars brought back memories of even earlier and an older friend at work picked up a really nice condition Mk11 2.4 Jaguar. I had not thought of Eddie in years yet sitting in the drivers seat brought it all back. He got that dark blue Jaguar in 1977 as I recall.

The Audi is certainly "sportier" than the Rover 75 and has a firmer ride but on the whole I prefer the Rover to drive it's more relaxing and certainly comfortable. Oh yes the Rover 75's are also cheap to buy :D. Now I have to find a copy of Autocar and read their review of the 75 ands ee what they have to say and see I agree with it.

"Executive class"????......a "ROVER"?....hardly!!....those were the days!!

that was your first mistake.
LR Dealer will always bend you over.
£2500 is about their standard angle of entry!
:rofl::rofl: OUTSTANDING:rofl::rofl:

I shall try and remember to use this one myself when talking about Land Rover dealers! Thank you.

Simon

:rofl: I see the same old worn out platitudes have already started coming out ;).

Firstly the head gasket problem is usually associated with the inline 4 cylinder "K" series engine and not the KV6 engine used in these V6 Models 76's. As I mentioned it's the same V6 that is used in the larger engined Freelander. It's not the Honda V6 that some so called dealer was telling me that the car has nor is it a BMW engine as again I have been told :rolleyes: the Engine is a Powertrain product and is the same as Land Rover use.

As for being quoted two and half grand for a head gasket job you must have looked very gullible then. :norty:.

Most head gasket problems are through poor care but this was gone into a short time ago when i enquired about the "K" series engines.

As for getting it off the field the only problem is the ridged factory fitted mudflaps which ground out ont eh raos edge when entering or leaving the field. Of course finding that the front tyres were missing 5lbs of pressure did not help and nott hat's been corrected they don't ground out so much :cool:.

"Executive class"????......a "ROVER"?....hardly!!....those were the days!!

Actually I was sceptical at first until I looked at a couple and saw the specs. It is better finished is more comfrtable than that Audi but it is Five years newer. It's vastly superior to that 5 series BMW tourer the nephew had a couple of years ago but I cannot recall the year of that one. Didn't like it at all and declined the offer of driving it.

This Connoisseur has:-

Dual zone ATC.
Crusie Control with steering wheel controls.
25w per channel stereo with Cassette player................... yes a cassette player in 2000. Surprised me until I stopped to think about the customer who would be ordering a new Rover 75 in 2000 ;) they could also be had with the cassette with a CD changer or a CD player/radio or a inbuilt sat nav system with TV or DVD.
heated front seats
Electric adjustable front seats
Electric windows all round
Remote opening boot from the drivers seat
5 Speed Auto box (same as fitted to certain BMW's
Colour matched over mats
Front fogs
Front passenger Cup Holder
Full leather including steering wheel

And it does not have all the options either and it's equally well equipped if not better than either that BMW he had or this Audi A6. May I suggest the scoffers obtian a copy of the current Autocar magazine and have a read as they have just done a piece on the Rover 75. BMW tried their best to kill it off as they saw it a direct threat to their sale.

The interior although 12 years old makes the new X Type Jaguars look very 1970's Cortina what with all that black plastic. The seat in this one are Aubergine (a very dark maroon) with cream piping. I will try to get photos on it. The walnut is very dark with a reddish hue, I would prefer a lighter myself and being this vintage it's real wood and not plastic like the later ones and other makes.

Tomorrow I am taking it to get the VIS motors tested to make sure they are working properly and get expert opinion on the inlet manifold as to if the butterflies are working correctly i.e connected still or not. These features can make a big difference to the fuel consumption so I have been told.

In fact we have just come back from lunch out and a drive in the rain in the Rover. Even with the rain it was a pleasant drive.

:rofl: I see the same old worn out platitudes have already started coming out ;).

Firstly the head gasket problem is usually associated with the inline 4 cylinder "K" series engine and not the KV6 engine used in these V6 Models 76's. As I mentioned it's the same V6 that is used in the larger engined Freelander. It's not the Honda V6 that some so called dealer was telling me that the car has nor is it a BMW engine as again I have been told :rolleyes: the Engine is a Powertrain product and is the same as Land Rover use.

As for being quoted two and half grand for a head gasket job you must have looked very gullible then. :norty:.

Most head gasket problems are through poor care but this was gone into a short time ago when i enquired about the "K" series engines.

As for getting it off the field the only problem is the ridged factory fitted mudflaps which ground out ont eh raos edge when entering or leaving the field. Of course finding that the front tyres were missing 5lbs of pressure did not help and nott hat's been corrected they don't ground out so much :cool:.

Actually I was sceptical at first until I looked at a couple and saw the specs. It is better finished is more comfrtable than that Audi but it is Five years newer. It's vastly superior to that 5 series BMW tourer the nephew had a couple of years ago but I cannot recall the year of that one. Didn't like it at all and declined the offer of driving it.

This Connoisseur has:-

Dual zone ATC.
Crusie Control with steering wheel controls.
25w per channel stereo with Cassette player................... yes a cassette player in 2000. Surprised me until I stopped to think about the customer who would be ordering a new Rover 75 in 2000 ;) they could also be had with the cassette with a CD changer or a CD player/radio or a inbuilt sat nav system with TV or DVD.
heated front seats
Electric adjustable front seats
Electric windows all round
Remote opening boot from the drivers seat
5 Speed Auto box (same as fitted to certain BMW's
Colour matched over mats
Front fogs
Front passenger Cup Holder
Full leather including steering wheel

And it does not have all the options either and it's equally well equipped if not better than either that BMW he had or this Audi A6. May I suggest the scoffers obtian a copy of the current Autocar magazine and have a read as they have just done a piece on the Rover 75. BMW tried their best to kill it off as they saw it a direct threat to their sale.

The interior although 12 years old makes the new X Type Jaguars look very 1970's Cortina what with all that black plastic. The seat in this one are Aubergine (a very dark maroon) with cream piping. I will try to get photos on it. The walnut is very dark with a reddish hue, I would prefer a lighter myself and being this vintage it's real wood and not plastic like the later ones and other makes.

Tomorrow I am taking it to get the VIS motors tested to make sure they are working properly and get expert opinion on the inlet manifold as to if the butterflies are working correctly i.e connected still or not. These features can make a big difference to the fuel consumption so I have been told.

In fact we have just come back from lunch out and a drive in the rain in the Rover. Even with the rain it was a pleasant drive.

According to that specification list,my pickup is "executive" and so are a lot of trucks and tractors these days!!:thumb:

:rofl: I see the same old worn out platitudes have already started coming out ;).Firstly the head gasket problem is usually associated with the inline 4 cylinder "K" series engine and not the KV6 engine used in these V6 Models 76's. As I mentioned it's the same V6 that is used in the larger engined Freelander. It's not the Honda V6 that some so called dealer was telling me that the car has nor is it a BMW engine as again I have been told :rolleyes: the Engine is a Powertrain product and is the same as Land Rover use.As for being quoted two and half grand for a head gasket job you must have looked very gullible then. :norty:.Most head gasket problems are through poor care but this was gone into a short time ago when i enquired about the "K" series engines.As for getting it off the field the only problem is the ridged factory fitted mudflaps which ground out ont eh raos edge when entering or leaving the field. Of course finding that the front tyres were missing 5lbs of pressure did not help and nott hat's been corrected they don't ground out so much :cool:.Actually I was sceptical at first until I looked at a couple and saw the specs. It is better finished is more comfrtable than that Audi but it is Five years newer. It's vastly superior to that 5 series BMW tourer the nephew had a couple of years ago but I cannot recall the year of that one. Didn't like it at all and declined the offer of driving it. This Connoisseur has:Dual zone ATC.Crusie Control with steering wheel controls.25w per channel stereo with Cassette player................... yes a cassette player in 2000. Surprised me until I stopped to think about the customer who would be ordering a new Rover 75 in 2000 ;) they could also be had with the cassette with a CD changer or a CD player/radio or a inbuilt sat nav system with TV or DVD.heated front seatsElectric adjustable front seatsElectric windows all roundRemote opening boot from the drivers seat5 Speed Auto box (same as fitted to certain BMW'sColour matched over matsFront fogsFront passenger Cup HolderFull leather including steering wheelAnd it does not have all the options either and it's equally well equipped if not better than either that BMW he had or this Audi A6. May I suggest the scoffers obtian a copy of the current Autocar magazine and have a read as they have just done a piece on the Rover 75. BMW tried their best to kill it off as they saw it a direct threat to their sale.The interior although 12 years old makes the new X Type Jaguars look very 1970's Cortina what with all that black plastic. The seat in this one are Aubergine (a very dark maroon) with cream piping. I will try to get photos on it. The walnut is very dark with a reddish hue, I would prefer a lighter myself and being this vintage it's real wood and not plastic like the later ones and other makes.Tomorrow I am taking it to get the VIS motors tested to make sure they are working properly and get expert opinion on the inlet manifold as to if the butterflies are working correctly i.e connected still or not. These features can make a big difference to the fuel consumption so I have been told.In fact we have just come back from lunch out and a drive in the rain in the Rover. Even with the rain it was a pleasant drive.
And the prize for the longest post that has nothing to do with stalking goes to........

I see you at least got a private reg. LOL

Yes I am already making enquiries about selling it on as I don't see the need and don't have the "want" for one either. Originally it was on a "V" plate as it was registered in 01/01/2000 accordign to the little service book.

Edit:- All ready have an offer from a plate/number dealer for £400 for that number. need to check how I get the original number if possible back.

Last edited:
I know what you were smoking last night ....:drool:

Never even tried smoking. Always thought it was daft why buy something just to et fire to it and it don't even keep you warm :cuckoo:.

Plus I suppose as a child of under 10 watching an uncle die of lung cancer and he only ever smoked a pipe probably had an effect on my thinking. Don't drink much either perhaps half a dozen drinks a year.

Meanwhile the Audi's might be out to get get fr my comments. Just went to the kennels to pick up dog food and the only car I saw were three Audis, two saloons and one estate :-|.

I suggest you look at some of the stuff posted on here by others then ;).
It was a prize for 'longest' off topic post, the subject is irrelevant, your prize is in the post! Perhaps you should start a sister website - usedcardirectory.co.uk ?

Back