The Queen's Landy

novice

While walking through the car park at the Midland Game Fair the other week, I clocked an impressive looking lwb land rover (it was the leather cover over the substantial looking winch attached to the front bumper that caught my eye!). Looking more closely, it was marked up as 'Royal Parks', so I assume it had come up from Bushy/Windsor etc. What really impressed me though, along with the hella roof mounted lamp, was what appeared to be a 'gun turret' (for want of a better description) which appeared to allow a rifle to stand up in the back of the truck and shoot over the lamp. I take it this set up is used as part of culling operations in the royal parks.

My main queries are, has anyone ever used on of these, do they do a swb version and, most importantly, do they ever come up on public sale (in the way that FC vehicles do)? It would be just the ticket for a bit of fox lamping methinks!

Novice

You mean one like this?

9k=

Farmer won't be too pleased about you dropping engine oil all over his crops :stir:

I drive an ex royal parks landy for work, although mine is in standard form and doesnt have a winch bumper extra lights etc etc, the only thing i will say about it is the engine is far better than any other td5 i have driven, it goes like the clappers, and anything over 340miles from £100's worth of diesel is an acheivement.

anything over 340miles from £100's worth of diesel is an acheivement.

You have just convinced me that a quad and trailer is a better choice than a Defender 90, however much I want one :(
My last fill of diesel was at 348 miles, cost me £30

Neil. :)

my 130 defender 330tdi (yes i have the misfortune of having a works and my own defender) will do about 420 on a tankful so a fair bit more than the td5 but i think the royal parks one has been fiddled about with under the bonnet. Strange thing is I dont even really like landies, but there comes a point where they are the only vehicle that will do the job if your doing serious off road work such as forestry in remote areas.

my 130 defender 330tdi (yes i have the misfortune of having a works and my own defender) will do about 420 on a tankful so a fair bit more than the td5 but i think the royal parks one has been fiddled about with under the bonnet. Strange thing is I dont even really like landies, but there comes a point where they are the only vehicle that will do the job if your doing serious off road work such as forestry in remote areas.

I drove Landy's for twenty years and thought just like you there was nothing to touch them. Just bought Hilux equally as good. You only have to look most Gamekeepers drive Japanese 4x4 these days. The 2'000'000 Defender Landy was rolled off the production line not so long ago being built since 1948 in similar form. The Hilux has only been produced since 1960 and has sold 30'000'000 that's one heck of a statement as to how good they are also in the best car survey the Defender was pronounced the worst vehicle for reliability.

Jimbo

Land rovers are fine when someone else is paying the bills!

Have a look at all the guys who are now self employed, don't know one with a Landy!

Back