Please share your 6.5 x 55 set up

AllThingsShooting

Please could those of you using 6.5 x 55 share your set up and ammunition preferences!

Variation will be back shortly and looking forward to spending some money.

Thanks

B

FN commercial action. Wilson Arms barrel. Leupold 3-9 glass.

PPU 139 grain shoots very well (sub MOA) but is slow@ 2600 fps. Federal Classic 140 is faster, and shoots clusters, but is expensive. Handloads are the best. IMR 7828SSC under a 120 grain HP is fast and exceedingly accurate.~Muir

Sako 85 in 6.5 x55 Wood stock and blued. Atec .30 moderator, helps to maintain balance.( Don't use the 6.5 sizing mod it causes a problem on 180 grn ammunition) on top, Schmidt & Bender. Zenith 2.5 x 10 x 56 illuminated on F7 reticle.

Preferred Ammunition 120 grn Norma BT sub .50 inch three shots

For me it's the best one I have found, really accurate, reliable, good work horse.

Good luck

Phil

Last edited:
Sako 85 synthetic stainless shooting factory Federal powershock 140gr SP seems to work fine for me. Remington, ppu and Winchester all grouped far worse than the federal in my rifle. Mod is a Lawrence precision nexus compact and the glass is a z6i 2.5-15x56. I went all out when I got my setup but i got it to last :D

Steyr mannlicher pro mountain
ase utra north star mod
s/b 8x56 klassic Hungarian
only ever tried Norma 120 gr bt's in it as I have the same set up in 308 using 150's .
has worked out a very nice rifle so much better than the 243 and filled the gap between my 22.250 and 308 well .
regards
norma

Thanks all...

I think I will go with Norma...

I have a steyr pro hunter 2 at the moment an love it so was thinking to either stick with the brand or go custom. Although I really like the Sako 85!!!

Anyone else had this issue: Atec .30 moderator, helps to maintain balance.( Don't use the 6.5 sizing mod it causes a problem on 180 grn ammunition)

Sako 75 finnlite,
Optilock rings/bases (low).
Sonic moderator, (quietest i've heard and thats alot)
Zeiss 3-12x56 varipoint ret 60 and avs.(to be replaced with a HT when they send it).
Ammo loves all privis 139+156 shot 100's of deer with these and never had 1 let me down.
But aquired some remmy 139's and it also shoot them into 3/4 inch 3 shot groups.

FN commercial action. Wilson Arms barrel. Leupold 3-9 glass.

PPU 139 grain shoots very well (sub MOA) but is slow@ 2600 fps. Federal Classic 140 is faster, and shoots clusters, but is expensive. Handloads are the best. IMR 7828SSC under a 120 grain HP is fast and exceedingly accurate.~Muir

Those FN Commercials are something else huh Muir?

Tikka M65 wood blued with zeiss diavari 3-12x56 using norma vulkan 156g

also

mauser action, schultz and larsen barrel in custom walnut stock - zeiss diavari 3-9x36 - federal 140g SP

Anyone else rate sonic moderators? I haven't heard one!!!

Yorkshireroestalking is there one of your videos that provides a good example?

Standard 1943 made Husqvarna M96 Swedish Mauser, fitted with a Faldt dual use military/target aperture sight.
One of the 20,000 made for purchase by the FSR on the understanding that IF they were mobilised they'd bring their rifles with them; the gov't would then repay them for their purchase, and at the their call up they'd get to keep the rifles!

Feed it reloads using either 4895 or Rel 19 behind a SMK 140gr target bullet (it's a range use rifle, not a stalking one)

In DK this caliber is very popular so i also have one for many yers. My first.. A Carl Gustaf from Sweden.
i am reloading with Lapua Mega 155 gr. Hole in H.....

TDH

Howa 1500 6.5x55 s&b 8x56 Atec cmm4

Tikka t3 6.5x55 Swarovski Z6i 6-24x50 BT Atec maxim

Use Barnes 120g ttsx at around 2900fps stops everything in its path can't recommend them enough......

Tikka T3, stainless/synthetic, S&B German 8X56, T8.

140 grain Hornady Interlock pushed by R19 or N160.

Last edited:
Sako 85 synthetic, Ase Utra Jet-Z mod, Zeiss Victory HT 2.5 - 10 x50, 140 gr Federal Power-Shok

Last edited:
Anyone else rate sonic moderators? I haven't heard one!!!

Yorkshireroestalking is there one of your videos that provides a good example?
No not yet, I got 1 for my 22250 and liked it that much went and got 1 for the swede, 2 mates heard mine and have placed orders now.
I hear 100's of rifles a year and these are the quietest mods i have heard if you get the correct for calibre ones not .30 cal fits all.

Mannlicher Classic Halfstock, Swarovski 4-12x50AV, ASE Utra Jet-Z mod, used Federal 140gn Power Shoks from day one, this combo shoots under 1" easily.

Cheers

Chris

Back