out this morning

i looked out my gear last night and slipped out the house at 5.30 this morning , just over to a farm 15mins away , id let him know yesterday that id be on , even stiil i try to get through the gate with the landy as quiet as possible,so as not to wake him or his dogs ,

i park up beside the cow sheds and proceed to get ready to go , gloves, face mask ,sticks , binos , i fill the mag, pick up my tikka , and **** NO BOLT ,its still in the safe, i coulda punched myself in the face ,,

so oh well i thought i am up now , so i went home , got the bolt ( woke the missus in the process) and went back over and did the whole thing again , what a great start

by this time the sun was up,i made my way around the usual haunts , not a thing , , i got to the turning point where i head back toward the farm house, i was half way over the style when i saw 2 roe bucks grazing down the fence line about 500 yds away , i retreated back over the style and slowly made my way down the fence , keeping a large tree between myself and the bucks, till i made the tree , then keeping another between us till i was about 200yrds away , slowly i dropped my sticks and made up my mind to try and make the sheep fence that was a further 50yrds away ,

it took an eternity but i got there and both bucks were still oblivious to me , i chambered a round , and looked through the scope , the buck nearest to me was a yearling ,and had its backside to me a few feet away was a buck who looked into his 3rd year or so ( correct me if i am wrong guys )

he looked up , broadside to me and i let loose the 243, the slug hit its mark and he fell where he stood , the other buck , just stood and looked at his fallen friend , then he would bolt away a few yards then return to look again , for a full 15 mins this went on :(,

eventually he left , i proceeded to my buck and thanked him for allowing me the shot

Attachments

• roe buck 2.JPG
    roe buck 2.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 150
  • roe buck 3.JPG
    roe buck 3.JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 148
  • roe buck 1.JPG
    roe buck 1.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 130
I hate forgeting integral parts! I forgot my magazines once when I went rabbiting..... Nice Buck well done what a great morning.

ATB

Daz

Nice one, have done it myself but with the magazine! Do you not chamber a round and apply the safety when you set off though? No use a buck appearing from no where 50 yards ahead to find you have no round up!

Nice one, have done it myself but with the magazine! Do you not chamber a round and apply the safety when you set off though? No use a buck appearing from no where 50 yards ahead to find you have no round up!

ive never done this , always the bolt over a round till on target

age is almost impossible to tell, teeth/jaw might show more. however, the coronets look pretty wide and a wee bit sloping, and the face a bit grey, so you may, (I could be wrong), may just be looking at an older buck.

great day though and thanks for the write up! yes, the other sounds like a yearling, they can be pretty naive unaware of looming danger! LOL. when I first started stalking I only ever seemed to get yearling bucks,,,as I got older and wiser I realised why:rolleyes: (ie. me being loud and clumsy and out too late or back too early)

Back