Please help settle an argument about bow hunting in the UK

Which would be most acceptable to bow hunt

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

treestand

Right!!

Me and friends were arguing over what people's views would be if an attempt to legalise the use of archery equipment to take/kill game in the UK.

My opinion is that small game would be far less of an issue to most people, but some of my friends think that it would just provoke the same reaction as it dose when talking about bow hunting deer.

Please choose from the poll and help me settle the argument!!

It's really not a pointless argument!!!

The bow hunting part may be... but the reaction to different species is perfectly valid
It's not my intent to have an argument about bow hunting over again, but, to see if people here have a different oppinion if deer are not the targeted species.

I think I'm right and my friends are wrong

I don't understand - why is it legal everywhere else (where it's easier to get a gun) and in the UK (who make it really hard to get an FAC) it's illegal?

I've only just taken an interest in bow hunting after a conversation with Mike from Brock & Norris - he was telling me about bow hunting in Africa. It occurred to me that my .243 was unsuitable for plains game but a bow isn't... So to my mind the bow does more damage or carries more power than the .243?

If this is the case then what is the reasoning behind it being illegal? You don't even need an FAC to buy a bow!

images

Go and find a Bow forum FFS.

Why should small game be less of an issue? If you`re going to kill it then it deserves a humane death what ever the species.
Bow hunting threads get very tedious!!

Treestand, you will never get a educated answer off these forums because most of these people don't know what a modern bow can do.

FYI I used to be very anti bow hunting, till I shot one, now I have one I understand :)

That is a group I shot at 40 yards. I can do that again and again.

That target is a foot wide made of rubber, when I shoot it my broadheads it cuts a 1 inch channel straight through.

View attachment 19457

Last edited:
Why should small game be less of an issue? If you`re going to kill it then it deserves a humane death what ever the species.
Bow hunting threads get very tedious!!

If that was a valid point, then it would be illegal to kill anything with an airgun. Surely?
Rats would deserve the same humane death as foxes and it would be illegal to kill them with dogs.
I wouldn't be allowed to kill a rabbit with a stick.

Why do we have legislation specifically for deer? If all other creatures have the same right to a humane death?

I understand that it's bowhunting again but where better to gauge UK public perception of it

I know there will never be an educated answer, but when is there ever from the public!!

I just want to see the poll and whether it's deer that provoke such strong public reaction in the UK

Treestand, you will never get a educated answer off these forums because most of these people don't know what a modern bow can do.

FYI I used to be very anti bow hunting, till I shot one, now I have one I understand :)

That is a group I shot at 40 yards. I can do that again and again.

That target is a foot wide made of rubber, when I shoot it my broadheads it cuts a 1 inch channel straight through.

View attachment 19457

Good shooting Eggy and very valid point. I don't have a bow yet but having seen what the modern ones can do I'm very interested - keep thinking about the ease of travelling abroad with them!

What about a crossbow or a spear? Should they be made legal too? Where do you draw the line when it comes to animal welfare?
The results and photos of attempts to shoot deer with crossbows are well publicised. What impression would it give the general public if this was passed as legal? Deer running around the countryside with arrows sticking out of them? Rifle shots can also go wrong, but modern rifles are undoubtedly the most humane way to kill a deer - fact! Why potentially sacrifice the welfare of a deer to satisfy your own little hunter instincts?
Keep shooting the targets and tell yourself how good you are, but use the best tool for the job when it comes to culling deer (or any other animal).
MS

What about a crossbow or a spear? Should they be made legal too? Where do you draw the line when it comes to animal welfare?
The results and photos of attempts to shoot deer with crossbows are well publicised. What impression would it give the general public if this was passed as legal? Deer running around the countryside with arrows sticking out of them? Rifle shots can also go wrong, but modern rifles are undoubtedly the most humane way to kill a deer - fact! Why potentially sacrifice the welfare of a deer to satisfy your own little hunter instincts?
Keep shooting the targets and tell yourself how good you are, but use the best tool for the job when it comes to culling deer (or any other animal).
MS

I'm sure the answer to all of your points are in other threads, try 'Africa, bow vs rifle' I wrote quite a bit on that one regarding crossbows and welfare concerns were definitely addressed.
Other than looking at that thread, you could click 'none' on the poll above?

The results and photos of attempts to shoot deer with crossbows are well publicised.

This comment just proves how little you know about the subject, in fact your whole post shows how little you know.

In every single photo I have seen of those were people shooting with target arrows not broadheads. No doubt with underpowered crossbows.

"Deer running around the countryside with arrows sticking out of them?"

How about deer running around the countryside with jaws blown off? slowly staving to death? You wont get that problem with a bow.

And of course in all those countries where bow hunting is legal the places are littered with Deer versions of this.

View attachment 19458:rolleyes:

Last edited:
We don't have a general archery season where I live tho you are welcome to use one if you wish. As it happens, I went out and shot a few dozen arrows from my new recurve last Thursday. A 3" circle at 22 yards was not a tough target with less than appropriate (not enough spine) arrows. As posted many times before, bows can be very accurate and lethal. ~Muir

I have bow hunted around the world. It's exciting up close and personal. My opinion but not everyone's. but I don't see why that if someone wishes to discuss their point why do some people have to make a big deal. It amazes me that its a hunting forum and its ok to talk about " what pick up shall I buy " aposed to " why is it we can't bow hunt in Britain".
We all have an opinion or a question. Don't like it don't add to the conversation

Andrew

How about deer running around the countryside with jaws blown off? slowly staving to death? You wont get that problem with a bow.

And of course in all those countries where bow hunting is legal the places are littered with Deer versions of this.

View attachment 19458:rolleyes:

No point getting stroppy now... :dummy:

...We all have an opinion or a question. Don't like it don't add to the conversation...

It's a poll... It opens the floor to all the various opinions and points of veiw :cuckoo:

For those of us that are generally ignorant on the subject some comparative ballistic information would be useful. e.g. striking energy, grouping details, what happens when an arrow hits ballistic jelly etc.,and for deer a direct comparison with the impact and effect of a .243 bullet. atb Tim

No point getting stroppy now...

Not getting stroppy just pointing out that it is the person behind the weapon that cocks it up not the weapon itself.

A bit like if you try to use a .22lr to shoot a deer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back