Latest Blog

Matt

I had a tear in my eye halfway through reading that as I clocked the date she was born and new what was coming in the story. That was one of the most fitting acknowledgements I have ever read and all credit to you for taking the time to write it.

I have lost a few dogs over the years and you never forget them and their good points and bad, although the bad points now make you smile whereas at the time they made you swear!!!

My Springer went a very similar way to yours aged 8 years and she also let me know when she had had enough. She sat in the car with me all the way to where I had chosen to finish life without lifting her head lifting from my lap as she was allowed to sit on the front seat next to me for her final journey. She knew...

P.S Ignore the critics. They are the least knowledgeable. That's why the write, because they cannot do...

Last edited:
Very well written piece - as Jamross said, it brings a tear to the eye. I have an 11 year old Lab who has been brilliant, but can't do much work now due to arthritis in one foreleg; she is happy wandering around the garden, and still has a healthy appetite (typical Lab). I dread the day when the decision has to be made, it will hit me very hard.

Well written article, I also know what it feels like to lose an old friend, unfortunately they are here but for a short time.

As the previous poster said ignore the critics, for every one who finds fault there will be many more who appreciate.

A nice article Matt and just like the others have mentioned it brought back memories of some of my previous pals and a tear to the eye. I shall have to read the rest of your blog now, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

very well written.i had a springer named bob which i got when i started as a keeper.Very similar story i was gutted when we had to part ways.i hav a ten month old lab now grate dog but he is no bob.

Thank you all for the very kind comments, Sika was a joy to be around and it was a rather difficult blog to write. Time to start another chapter and create some new memoires without forgetting the old ones.

Matt

That was beautifully written and very emotional. Sika sounds like she was a joy to own and lovely addition to your family.
My old Border Collie is getting to the stage of "letting us know" and I'm dreading it. Luckily, the love and joy dogs bring into our lives outweighs the time we have to say Goodbye to them.

I have been there - they all have something special - started training a lab two years ago for stalking and she is such a good pal. There are little pups out there just waiting.

I have been there - they all have something special - started training a lab two years ago for stalking and she is such a good pal. There are little pups out there just waiting.

You are so right there, I just haven't decided which route I'm heading as yet.

That was a hard read for me i lost my best mate 2 years ago "Mac" the dog in my avatar he was 14 when he went don't think ill ever have another like him i know exactly how you feel ave had loads of good dogs over the years but he stood out head and shoulders above them
Thanks for the read Drag

Thank you so much for all the heart warming comments, I've decided on getting a German Wirehaired Pointer as my next pup. Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

I dread the day I'm put in the same situation. I currently have 4 dogs.
My 4th dog, a GWP bitch, has been......challenging.
I guess 2 labs and a cocker spoiled me in the ease of having dogs stakes.
My first lab is the smartest dog I've had and now the eldest at 8. She's slowing now and starting to stiffen up.
I thought the cocker was bolshy...he's a teddy bear compared to the GWP.
The GWP does what she's bred to do with great gusto and is very obedient..you just have to get used to the idea that what you have is a hairy crocodile that is totally mind set on you. As much as she belongs to me I belong to her. She's possessive, head strong, jealous and tough (yes the GWP, though the Mrs could just as well fill the same list)
Would I get another? I'm not sure I would.

The GWP does what she's bred to do with great gusto and is very obedient..you just have to get used to the idea that what you have is a hairy crocodile that is totally mind set on you. As much as she belongs to me I belong to her. She's possessive, head strong, jealous and tough (yes the GWP, though the Mrs could just as well fill the same list)
Would I get another? I'm not sure I would.

Oh boy this sounds interesting! :eek:

matt like you and many others on here been there done that dreading the thought of ever going there again with billy my fox terrier
but that piece was very well written and i felt a little of what you must have felt like i sometimes think its good to talk about the good ol dogs
that a lot of us have had and lost good luck with your next one well done and thanks for sharing

Back