trophy prep equipment

Boil it for 20 mins and scrape it if you want it really white peroxide it. beatles didnt they make music in the 60.s lol

Bushwear did sell the beetles, don't know if they still do, don't seem to be in the latest catalogue, I do remember
they were expensive, I have no experience of them but have been told they stink so need to keep well away from house.

Imo better just to boil them, but do it outside Burrco boiler but they are also expensive. old tea urn works fine and can usually be picked up for not very much.

or a gas ring and a big pot, know one chap that uses an old twin tub washing machine just sets it to a boil wash.

Scots -stalker Show your wife this picture and tell her how lucky she is lol
ANTLERSTHEBIGBOY.jpg

If you're doing a stove top, don't boil, just simmer. Boiling can flake the bone so it becomes all crumbly afterwards, and can also cook the grease in so it is permanently stained.
You can simmer the meat and carp off easily, pressure wash the brain pan, then use thirty percent hydrogen peroxide to bleach the bone, and it'll come up lovely. :)
If I'm in no hurry to clean mine up, I will often leave them out on the hill to let nature take it's course. Doesn't take long for maggots to clean the bone up nicely, then they just need peroxided to whiten.
But in winter I simmer them. I have to do this in my workshop though on a camping gas stove because I don't want that smell in my kitchen! :D

I use the maggot/compost bin method. Boil outside using camping stove and old pot. Add some Vanish/oxi crystals to the pot for a better finish and the peroxide if need be.

D

so just a bucket , put the head in and add maggots ? no prep ?

skin and poke as much solid matter off as possible.
i boiled slightly before maggoting to speed it up
they are hungry things but not miracle workers

I find the elevation helps keep it drier and the smell down but the down side is the number of maggots that are not in contact.
also allows relaying of eggs and more maggot growth.
alternative is bag it so the plastic is close to the skull all over so the little crawlers can get back on board when they are so fat they roll off.

Jesus that's got to be the messy way gray gunk all over the place maggot **** running in the brain cavity .Boil scrap and bleach done in an hour.If you have a power wash can be done in a few minutes.:drool:

i have to agree with 6 pointer i have tried both methods and the boiling and cleaning out wins for me the misses goes ballistic with the stench from the maggots not to mention the neighbors kicking off. but the most important thing i found was the skulls go really brittle if left out for the maggots, i just use a berco boiler on simmer outside it works a treat and you can do the biggest of heads in it or when doing a roe wrap a stainless wire around the coronet to hook over the top so it keeps the antlers out of the water. atb wayne ps

Back