Thread: Using Quad Sticks - a method that works for me

Using Quad Sticks - a method that works for me

Attachment 19553We've all got our opinions and preferences for what shooting sticks we use depending on where we hunt.

For what it's worth, I thought I'd share some of the things I've learnt from using fibreglass quad sticks, both here in the UK and also in Africa. (PDF file attached)
    I should declare that I'm a bit biased as I manufacture them, but it may be that some of you guys who've either purchased or made your own (like I did some years ago) will pick up the odd tip to improve your quad stick technique in the field where it matters most.

Equally, if anybody can offer further tips, then please do as we're always learning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quad Sticks - Tips for deployment.pdf  

Ooooooh the okikoki? sorry could not resist

Using quad sticks

That's what its all about!

Ask limulus his open a lot better once you get the hang off it you need to have a month before the season to practice

Agree totally, reminds me of that old saying "perseverence pays" which is why I posted the item.

I'm guessing that these can be used as a bi-pod if required, and speed is of the essence.

Will the following modification of your technique work for you?

With rifle slung upside-down on your shoulder, & using both hands, spread the legs in a bi-pod well out to your front. 'Crutch' of the sticks at groin height - see what I just did there ? :0)

Rght-hand grasp over the fore-end of the rifle, lift to take weight off sling and roll the rifle outwards so the sling drops clear. Your rifle should now be at the trail and pointed towards the target.

Rifle on the sticks just behind the sling swivel, take a couple paces forward and you now have a shouldered rifle on a bi-pod.

If time permits, take weight off rear sticks and using left hand, deploy them back towards you. Drop rifle butt into crutch of rear sticks to give you a fully deployed quad-pod.

Give it a go - if it works, then I have to tell you this technique is patented in China, and licensed in the UK. Each subsequent deployment of your sticks (practice & stalking) will cost 5 - payable by bank transfer to my account in the Channel Islands.

Please, don't thank me - no, really, don't!!

For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training,
    DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching. Go to - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

I'll try to put into text what a couple of mins on the phone usually sorts out.
    I'll be making a video soon that will help too.

The sticks I make have a piece of tape on one stick. Take this in your left mit between thumb and index finger.
    Allow the back sticks to slightly fall away from you (they will only open about an inch at this stage)
    Using your second,third and little finger push the right hand stick towards your right shoulder at the same time as flicking the back sticks directly away from you (sounds complicated but its a piece of pish once you've practised for 6-7 years)
    The bands on the sticks stop them opening too far.
    Now holding your rifle by the palm grip place your rear swivel pin immediately in front of the rear stick 'V'.
    Now lower the fore-end into the front 'V' so that the front 'V' is immediately behind the front swivel pin/bipod.
    The rifle is now in place to shoot.
    Hold the front 'V' with your left hand and, should the target move, either push the sticks to the right and swivel or pull the sticks to the left and swivel (push or pull depending what you're comfy with, either way you end up swivelling on one 'point' of the ground)

and thats what its all about

Hope this helps

Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks