Gutless method

Thats an interesting watch, thanks for sharing. Do you know why do they have to keep the testicles? Is is a requirement or that they are worth something?

Oli

Proof of the sex of the animal taken, it has to remain attached to prove to any official that stops them to inspect their permit, and that they have the correct permit to harvest a cow or bull.
Cheers
Richard

I would imagine that keeping the testicles proves the meat you're carrying is from a buck, whereas without them you may have shot a doe and are just saying you shot a buck without a way to prove or disprove it.

I would imagine that keeping the testicles proves the meat you're carrying is from a buck, whereas without them you may have shot a doe and are just saying you shot a buck without a way to prove or disprove it.

I reckon that chap used to work in a knacker yard.

That's a cracking vid but I love the look of those knifes might have to get me one.

99% of the deer I shoot for meat I'd do this way.We usually call it "Taking the weels & backstraps".
As we dont see much snow in this part of the world the skin is left on the back legs to help keep them clean.
I usually dont take the front weels,& I always try to smash these anyway with the shot.
Often there is a "little bit long way" to carry out & quick time to prevent spoilage is important.

Somehow,I dont think that guy has worked in a knackers. Look at his hands. I don't think he's ever done much manual work.lol
Jewellery in a butchery vid ???

Cheers Sharkey

He's done that a few times i'd say

A stupid question but why does he not jist gut/gralloch it? When he was taking the tender lions out it looked a bit off a struggle, would have thought forthe 30odd secs it would take him to do a quick/rough gut would make it a lot easier.

He's done that a few times i'd say

A stupid question but why does he not jist gut/gralloch it? When he was taking the tender lions out it looked a bit off a struggle, would have thought forthe 30odd secs it would take him to do a quick/rough gut would make it a lot easier.
I believe it is used when the whole animal is not going to be recovered immediately, sometimes it can be miles away from the nearest track let alone tarmac, this way it is jointed up on site, and even de-boned in some cases.
Cheers
Richard

I understand that part about jointing in field, but i thought it would be easier to gut the beast even very roughly to take the tender loins out, u could then get easy access, see and get hands in easier, as it looked akward for him with the stomach in his way quite often, and he was making things look easy, imagine would be a real pain for less experienced folk.

He did make a very quick and tidy job of buterching it thou

I understand that part about jointing in field, but i thought it would be easier to gut the beast even very roughly to take the tender loins out, u could then get easy access, see and get hands in easier, as it looked akward for him with the stomach in his way quite often, and he was making things look easy, imagine would be a real pain for less experienced folk.

He did make a very quick and tidy job of buterching it thou

When I do this I usually am not to fussed about the rib eyes.I'm usually more concerned about the 100 kgs or more I've got to lug back.
In the part of the world the vid is taken the law states that all usable meat must be recovered,so for that reason he took the straps this way.
On an animal over 100kgs in some remote area it makes complete sense to use this method.

Cheers Sharkey

That still doesn't expplain why he didn't do a quick gut to get the stomach etc out of the way to get at the tenderloins. Seems like it would make the whole process easier.

I've seen quite a few people do field quartering in Africa, and never seen someone make life more difficult for themselves by leaving the guts in place while doing it.

Have quartered a few beasts on the hill or in deep woodland like this. In both cases the only means of extraction was by carrying it out. The first case was on very steep west coast ground about five miles from nearest extraction point. The other in severely wind blown forestry. All the meat was being taken for our own consumption. All we left behind was the bones and the gralloch - and indeed the sea eagles in one case were circling above shouting at us to hurry up and were down clearing up after us when we were less than fifty yards away. Magic! One good cull Red Stag does fit into two or three large packs, but all are pretty heavy. Meat quality is just as good as if we had dragged it and then butchered it at the larder, but you do have to work carefully to avoid contamination. Make sure you are butchering on nice clean grass or a big rock slab rather than in a peat wallow. And go prepared with some cloths / bags to wrap the joints in. A couple of teenage nephews keen to get involved in stalking are also useful to help carry the packs down the hill!

I think mungo has understood wot i was gettin at. Totally understand why u have field butchered it, makes complete sense and i realise some off distances/ground/access involved.
If u watch the second clip when he's trying to get the tender lions/fillets out it does look very akward, even with him, who made everything else look easy.
I think i would have quickly slit belly and just pulled stomach out off the way even still leaving it attached; but just enough get some room and to see wot i was doing, get hands in without cutting myself.

Plus how else would i check the lymph nodes
:stir: I take it n DSC in usa.:D Tongue very firmly in cheek

Ps sharkey wot do u call the rib eyes? althou i have heard off rib eye steak, jist cannae think wot it looks like, or possibly i call them something different when i butcher a deer. Cheers

Ps sharkey wot do u call the rib eyes? althou i have heard off rib eye steak, jist cannae think wot it looks like, or possibly i call them something different when i butcher a deer. Cheers

G'day mate.

The rib eyes are what we call the tenderloins down here.
I generally wont bother with them, when doing an animal this way,usually just the backweels & backstraps.
Had chital roast last night,my favourate,although these are only the same size as a fallow, this one had been broken down this way.Time is a big consideration in our clime were the heat & flies are against you,save what you know you can, & work fast.Thats why I leave as much skin on as I can till later.Mother natures "gladwrap".

Cheers Sharkey

Plus how else would i check the lymph nodes
:stir: I take it n DSC in usa.:D Tongue very firmly in cheek
I think one of the main reasons is to reduce the amount of blood escaping from the damaged area, and don't forget there are bears in the area.
Regarding lymph nodes, i did actually post information regarding lymph nodes and their inspection, loads of views, but not one comment, so i doubt they bother, but they can't sell the venison like we can, only eat it themselves or donate it.

Was only joking about the nodes, althou even in this country u couldnae really sell a deer split in field, or out off its jacket for that matter.

Bloody hell never thought about that, defo wouldnae be hanging about to check nodes if hungry bear's were nearby, plus i'd imagine that fresh gutty type smell would really attract them. Thought there must be a reason, althou i thought might be some obscure hunting bylaw. cheers

Cheers sharkey, they are prob the best cuts off meat on the deer thou, absolutely beautiful jist flash fried, even if u dropped the guts out at very end after all other meat jointed, would only take a couple off mins to take them off esp when stomach out way, althou i know how bad the flies can be out there, bloody annoying
Which part of oz are u in, was over a for a year working years ago now, done a bit off pigging and shot odd roo's and a big bird type thing;) sssh for dog food. Done a bit tractor work/farm/fencing so off beaten track wee touch but also in syndney for far toooo long, bloody great city thou

countrryboy;45237 Cheers sharkey said:
I'm based in Sydney,but spend a few days a week on farm at Coolah, & have to travel around a "wee" bit further Nth & Sth often, doing deer management/hunting/research stuff.I do love sambar (all species really) so decided to put aside a few thousand acres for deer.No,I don't "hunt" deer on my place,as they are enclosed,but killing now is something I have to do,its work,not a recreation anymore,lol (I still have to cull a lot of animals).Still I love hunting Sambar down south & may even be tempted to pull the trigger occasionaly,though I'm surrounded by deer in my daily life & much more enjoy seeing others getting them than myself.

Cheers Sharkey

Back