Thread: Knowing your deer

Knowing your deer

I am very lucky that i have a particularly good buck in one of the woods i stalk,so whilst stalking this wood im trying to help him out by taking out any unwelcome incomers.
    Saturday morning saw me in a mexican standoff situation with one of the said incomers (lucky i was wearing a face mask ) we where stood face to face 10yds so got a good look at him before he took flight.
    I returned to the same spot yesterday, i had only hunted 50yds before spotting a buck,almost immediately i noticed it was not the same deer i expected to find,but still uninvited,he showed a typical reaction to a heart shot charging off head down, a good find for my trusted hound and probably her last for a while as she is due to whelp in the next week
    Ironically the buck was lying dead beside a badly frayed spruce sappling

spot on 8)

Cracking pic! I noticed a lot of bark frayed from some young trees the other day. One had a lot of sap oozing from it, I wonder if the deer will return to this spot regularly to feed from it...mmmm

I would it smelt lovely

She's a lovely dog. Do you take her out with you or do you leave her in the car? What do you do to keep the bell quiet?

She is always with me,more often than not indicating deer well before i have spotted them. She only wears the bell when sent to find a shot deer, so its kept quiet in my pocket stuffed with a lump of bog roll

Nice one Nell.................'M'

Interesting story nell and a nice picture.