Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 days with solway stalker

2 days with solway stalker

ive just been for a couple of days stalking with colin(solway stalker) on one of the package deals he advertised a short while ago and thought id let you know how it went. first of all i must say a huge thank you to the man himself and ian. both of these guys obviously know the ground well and worked bloody hard in order to get us a shot. on the morning of day 1 we went for a stalk in search of a buck, we didnt manage to spot a buck but it was a fantastic start to the day seeing the local area and getting to know our guide. we were out that evening to look for a boar and find them we did, my friend managed to connect with a young boar which he is still grinning like a silly bugger about. i wasnt so lucky but the boar was guys main reason for wanting to come along so this really made his trip. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0429.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	459.0 KB 
ID:	19708 on the morning of day 2 we were out the door and heading off to the ground that the reds call home. we went our seperate ways, guy with colin and myself with ian. within minutes i could hear the stags roaring and we began the search. after sneaking across the dead ground and along the tree line and hearing the stag roar a few more times we knew we were close and my smile started to get even bigger and my heart rate rose. edging closer to a vantage point and keeping as low as possible i somehow managed to end up upto my knees in cold, smelly water(i must buy some highleg boots and gaitors) with ever so slightly wet feet. ian called me a bit further forward so i could see the stag and he looked an impressive beast but he was a bit too far to shoot, on the plus side he was heading our way so i was making myself ready when all of a sudden a hind called out and he fled with her. onwards and upwards we went but to no avail. on our way back to meet up with the others ian spotted a nice royal which we started stalking in to but then the wind swirled and he was off never to be seen again. two close calls and i was loving it even without getting a shot. in the afternoon colin would take guy and myself to look for goats and possibly a stag if one presented me with a shot. an hour later it would be smiles all round as we both managed to take a goat. we had quite a lot of time left so colin very kindly said we would go in search of a stag. we were walking along a track near some young trees when guy started getting rather excited and almost shouting about a stag we had walked past! quite how we hadnt seen it is beyond me but there he was, standing broadside at around 160 metres staring right at us, i still couldnt see him!! colin and guy were both trying to tell me where he was but i was being as blind as a bat. all of a sudeen i spotted his antlers, that was it, i was down on the ground with the rifle on the bipod and taking aim, safety off and the trigger squeezed.........the shot was good. he went around 30 yards i would guess before succumbing to the shot. i was ecstatic, my first wild red stag!! i didnt actually realise how good he was until we went over to him Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	394.5 KB 
ID:	19709 im still grinning like a silly sod now. a fantastic 2 days with colin and ill definitely be asking him for some more outings. colin if you read this then thank you so much mate, youve no idea just how much i enjoyed it. apologies for the naff write up but im knackered out and have all my kit to sort out. cheers guys

well done, sounds like a good couple of days.

Cracking stag mate. Its always good craic being out with Colin.

Good couple of days Ziggy , yours was the best beast in the larder but only by a couple
    of pounds , We were right on the top of the hill with Jase and Kev yesterday, (hope Kev does a write up)
    he had 2 good stags , Need to rest my legs today , back up there Monday
    Nice to meet you both
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

cheers guys, spoke to rachel on the way back and shes itching to get up there now, i think the photos i sent her may have something to do with it. thanks again for some great memories.

Ziggy, what did you decide to do with the head ??

hi kev, sorry to disappoint you bud. there was a slight disaster back home. i really couldnt afford to have it stuffed and after much arguing and whatnot ive ended up with just the antlers but ive still got the photos and the memories of a fantastic two days. i hear your trip went really well, so pleased you managed to get your first and second. i cant wait to go back, ive been suffering serious withdrawel symptoms(being a mardy git) since getting back home. was good to meet you all mate and i owe you a celebratory beer.

ziggy glad to see you had a fantastic trip that looks a lovely head bet your made up mate
    regards pete .

yeah im over the moon pete, genuinely am. when ive got some more cash sorted out i really want to go back and ill give you a heads up and see if we cant kidnap you for a weekend, you would love it. ill give you a call this week and go through it all with you . cheers bud

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

Sounds like a great trip and that is a cracking stag - makes my one-antlered beast from Sutherland this year look like its in-bred, dwarf, no-mates cousin!

You must have gone out with Colin a few days after I did. Whilst we didn't manage to connect with a boar my mate and I had a grand evening out. Colin is absolutely out of the top drawer, and we'll definitely be booking with him again once we've got the dates sorted for next year.

Edit: Pete, you'd love it up there mate - glorious country, lots of deer, pigs and goats, and some of the best river and shore fishing to be had. No further than that long-range shooting weekend we went up for.

Last edited by willie_gunn; 02-10-2012 at 07:58.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!