Time to put rifles away

sparko

Moving on to silent hunting...Ferreting again In about 2 weeks...Really lookig forward to this year, anyone else?

Used to love my ferreting had my first ferret 30 odd yrs ago prefer to let the beaters have a go these days ,but I have still got a few nets and a brand new MK 1 Deben locator so never say never !

Used to love my ferreting had my first ferret 30 odd yrs ago prefer to let the beaters have a go these days ,but I have still got a few nets and a brand new MK 1 Deben locator so never say never !
Well .. my daughters are in Rushton and Kettering so if you fancy a day out ........

Moving on to silent hunting...Ferreting again In about 2 weeks...Really lookig forward to this year, anyone else?

I love ferreting can't get enough my old hob frostie is deaf but still hunts like a beast and is the only ferret I've seen who will drag a small rabbit out of the hole and let me take it from him in essence retrieving the rabbit, I'll be gutted when he will no longer be with us but got a couple of nice ones coming up through the ranks.....

I've been ferreting for well over sixty years and it is still my favourite winter sport. Won't be starting for a month as the cover here is way too thick. I really believed this was going to be a bumper year as there were more rabbits about in the spring and summer than I have seen for years. In fact I boosted the ferret stock to a dozen to cope. Should have known better, VHD and myxi have decimated the stocks so it will be a job to get my quota. Trouble is now the season is so short with young about pretty well all year. When I started you could ferret from October to late March and never see a young rabbit.

I've been ferreting for well over sixty years and it is still my favourite winter sport. Won't be starting for a month as the cover here is way too thick. I really believed this was going to be a bumper year as there were more rabbits about in the spring and summer than I have seen for years. In fact I boosted the ferret stock to a dozen to cope. Should have known better, VHD and myxi have decimated the stocks so it will be a job to get my quota. Trouble is now the season is so short with young about pretty well all year. When I started you could ferret from October to late March and never see a young rabbit.

Same over this way and the trouble with the young rabbits about comes more possibility of digging my record is a 7ft dig in bloody hard frozen conditions a couple of years ago a big mistake going out that week that's for sure......

Well .. my daughters are in Rushton and Kettering so if you fancy a day out ........
Know the area well as I lived at Rothwell and stalk on an estate close to Kettering ,I really wish my kids had gotten into Fieldsports something about ferreting hearing that thump thump thump stays with you forever .

Out stalking this afternoon in north Herefordshire, saw shed loads of young rabbits (no shootable Roe though).

Like you I can't wait to get ferreting, I go every week all winter. I love my stalking but ferreting is just good clean fun. Not been a good year for bunnies though which is a shame.

3 ferrets ready to go, new batts in the finders & collars, but need to wait a a week or so, now seing some mixy about so may slow things down a bit. Mixy always seems to come round just after harvest here, is it the same else where?
Cheers Pete.

I should be out with my ferrets today. Landowner has had his sheep round the warrens this week.

The only problem is how much of a fight the Mrs. puts up about it when she finds out!

i love abit of ferreting, my ferreting partner is of this morning but i,ve just come back from a week stalking last night so best not push my luck. lol
stav

Know the area well as I lived at Rothwell and stalk on an estate close to Kettering ,I really wish my kids had gotten into Fieldsports something about ferreting hearing that thump thump thump stays with you forever .

Thats the one `thumping underground In a shallow bury`....Sort of compares with scanning fields for hours then spotting a buck...Something you cant or dont want to forget

Back