Where to practice on running boar?

gelert

Evening all,
I'm after some help,basically I'm off to france in January on the driven boar and want to do as much practice as possible,and not just turn up and hope for the best.
After some searching Iv'e naarrowed two possibble locations,
Bissley have a running boar range,but at a cost of £200 a day to hire seems rather expensive,unless I'm missing something.
Also minsterley ranges in shropshire have a running boar at a moderate £30 a session.
does any one have any experience of either club or any other club with access to running targets that alow non members.
Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved.

Minsterley is obviously much closer for you gelert but has always been out of service whenenever I have visited the site in the past. I have shot on the BSRC range at Bisley on a couple of occasions and know that their set up is in regular use and well maintained. In addition to that the reception at Bisley has always been more welcoming and the club members very helpful.

Click here,
Only .22LR is allowed on the running boar target, but it's good practice all the same.
The next and last event this year is on Sat Oct 13th.
Contact BASC SE to check availability.

Regards

Andy

Click here,
Only .22LR is allowed on the running boar target, but it's good practice all the same.
The next and last event this year is on Sat Oct 13th.
Contact BASC SE to check availability.

Regards

Andy

This event is held on the BSRC range and normally involves one go at the running boar (50m .22), one go at the running deer (100 yards centre fire) and the stalkers test shot on the static targets at 100 yards (centre fire). The cost for the day works out at £40 but there can be some add ons. I've shot it a couple of times in the past and it's a good day but the travelling gets to me especially the rush hour on the M4 around Reading in the morning.

Last edited:
Try the cheapo flights from Gatwick to Munich and there is an indoor shooting cinema located only 45 mins from the airport on the Pfaffenhofen exit on the A9 autobahn, there you can also rent rifles and they must use the cineshot sintered ammo which is much cheaper to practise with.
Just an optional idea.
Martin

One option might be to find a clay shooting ground with bolting rabbits? I remember shooting bolting rabbits an awfully long time ago, but the set-up only went one way. It would be good to shoot them L-R and vice versa. Low crossing birds would also be helpful. A go at sporting clays in general would help? Regards JCS

Last edited:
Another trick as is used by the whizzo prince from germany it is shown on his video is to have an UNLOADED rifle and a DVD video of boar on the TV and practise swinging on them and then = CLICK = BOOM so use a safety cartridge in the chamber as otherwise you will tire out the steel on the firing pin which could go poop on you on a stalk then.
Martin

Last edited by a moderator:
8x57, you modest chap. As i recall you entered the running boar twice and won both times:cool:. But i did come second.

And I thoroughly enjoyed both days at the BASC shoot probably because of the company.

I wish I could find the right location to build a couple of 50m running boar ranges and a cinema range, I'm sure that they would be well received in this country.

I wish I could find the right location to build a couple of 50m running boar ranges and a cinema range, I'm sure that they would be well received in this country.

I'm sure they would be.
Thanks for all the info,i think minsterley will get a visit,bisley's a bit far sadly, upon reflection.

8 x 57,

In this country we wouldn't want to pay the going rate, we expect range time to cost nothing.

My experience of a range in Aarhus, Denmark was for two brigades of four shooting four at a time with change at fifteen minutes.

This meant 20 rounds per individual every 15 minute slot and you only got two slots per hour.

Cost was around €300 per hour for the range so worked out at roughly €1 per shot to the shooter (plus ammo cost).

Worth it, Oh yes....

Stan

Sadly you are probably correct smullery about shooters not being prepared to pay the going rate. The main problem with running boar/deer ranges is that only one person can shoot at a time and the limited number of shooters that you can get through the range in an hour.

A few years ago some friends an I were going driven boar hunting.For practice we found siutable ground with a hill. We then got some car tyres,filled the inners with cardboard and rolled them down the hill past the shooter. Bloody good fun with supprising results. That is not as easy as we first thought!

Tusker.

I have the range designed, I have the rail system sorted, I have the location. What's stopping me building it? Exactly what Stan said!

Sadly you are probably correct smullery about shooters not being prepared to pay the going rate. The main problem with running boar/deer ranges is that only one person can shoot at a time and the limited number of shooters that you can get through the range in an hour.
Yup the brits traditionally want everything for too cheap a price which is predicated by them being shafted on their income potential in the UK unless you are a "professional".
I would have invested to put a range up on an industrial site in the midlands but this is what stopped me.
Martin

Yup the brits traditionally want everything for too cheap a price which is predicated by them being shafted on their income potential in the UK unless you are a "professional".
I would have invested to put a range up on an industrial site in the midlands but this is what stopped me.
Martin

This is something I notice too having shot at ranges / clay grounds in both the UK and on the continent. UK shooters tend to have the very latest kit however gripe about the cost of doing a bit of practice with it. In Switz, where the earning potential is arguably higher, you see a lot more buget stuff and more ammo being expended... Just my impression of course but there we are.

ATB,

Scrummy

Scrummy

You've shot at my range so know the layout. The cost of the range isn't eye watering and that includes a custom built rail system from Germany. Sadly you've hit the nail on the head though. What amazes me is the money people will pay to shoot clays yet build a custom designed range and open it to the public and see what happens, thankfully there are enough serious shooters out there who now the value of money and practice. One day when I'm feeling silly, I'll install a running boar range anyway - a lot of people would be very surprised to see how cheaply a proper one can be built - if 30 people came up with £500 each.........

Back