Clocks change

2130martin

Excuse my inexperience and potential ignorance but........when the clocks change,does it affect deer movement/behaviour/timings etc or do they only get affected by the daylight/darkness??

It only has an effect on you its your timetable that has changed not the deer's they don't know the clocks been changed, will make a difference later in the year as the days become shorter but gradually not right away.

Davie has a point though it may make a difference to him in an urban area, just that hour of difference and the change in the activity patterns of people and traffic, could have an effect on them.

That explains a lot if ther'e normally out at 0700hrs and the clocks go forward then they don't seem to appear until 0800hrs and all this time I thought they were just having an extra hour in bed!
LOL ha ha

An old stalker I used to know firmly believed it did effect deer especially Roe in areas near roads. In the summer they have time to aclimitise to noise build up due to earlier daybreak and a steady increase in noise. In winter daylight bang instant noise. I believe there is substance in his thoughts.

Nutty

It will be light an hour earlier in the morning so they should be out earlier same in the evening it will be dark an hour sooner, just carry on as you have been doing, just go an hour earlier AM and PM

Yes,but i meant if the locals/natives arent moving around until the "hour" as previous the deer should hang around longer or doesnt it work like that???

;) Well done lads disturbance plays a big part it effects the deer and will also effect the drivers at this time of year more conflict with deer on our roads.

2130 martin,

Your ground, your deer. Go out the days before "change" with a notebook and pencil and record. Go out the same period after the "change" and do the same.

Your reference will be Dawn & Dusk. If nothing else changes (external activity) then you will know what "your" deer think about the change you made on your watch :)

Stan

I generally notice an increase in RTA's around the time when the clocks go back but normally evenings as the time that the deer begin to move suddenly coincides with 'rush hour'! It is probably also combined with the fact that the last of the crops (sugar beet in particular) are harvested, and the start of the game shoots. Fireworks and fog are also contributory factors at the same time.
Other than RTA's, I don't suppose they notice too much.
MS

Back