Thread: Young Hind or hybrid?

Young Hind or hybrid?

Had this solitary hind walk past the high seat lastnight but the spots and black edging on the rump had me wondering what I was looking at. Any suggestions other than 'a deer' LOL

I see what you mean with the spots but it's potentially more just a coat variation from a standard red hind. the markings inside the ears are not sika (the thumbprint vrs an outline) and there's no horse shoe around the caudal patch, the tail also seems too long for a sika.

to me it looks like a normal red hind, but it 'could' be she's been cross bred with a sika and is slowly starting to show some of the signs and markings sika bear, but I'm not sure. we do know they cross-breed so it's only a matter of time.

thanks for sharing though, good footage and great clarity!

reminds me of this article -
    Last edited by PKL; 08-10-2012 at 08:07.

PKL- Thanks for the feedback and article makes interesting reading. The video was taken with my Panasonic Lumix which is a great wee camera, but as the deer was only about 30yrds away at first then easy to take shots (with camera ) . If it is hybrid it is even more interesting as the footage was taken on the edge of the Queen Elizabeth forest near Gartmore, where not aware any sika have been recorded!

A hind for sure andy, Next time I'm up, am sure I'll get you a closer look at it....

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Now now Billy, you shoot anymore of my deer and there won't be any left. 6 in one night is taking the p*ss

Yound red hind, good footage.

I have heard of odd Sika stags showing up in that area, so worth watching out for signs of hybridisiation