Tooth Ageing In Foxes?

Paddy_SP

I believe that one can determine the age of a fox from a sectional analysis of its teeth, in much the same way that dendrochronology works. I therefore removed part of a lower jaw from one I shot last night as the first step in doing just this. Robert Bucknell wrote in 'Going Foxing' that you should 'soften the tooth in acid', but he didn't say what kind of acid, or for how long one should immerse the said dental appendage. I would therefore be most grateful for any advice anyone here can give me in helping me move on up the ladder of vulpine anatomical knowledge...

A solution of Formic acid/sodium citrate to 1 decalcify the tooth 2 then mount in paraffin wax 3 slice sections on microtome 4 alcohol to remove wax 5 fix to slide 6 stain with H & E 7 read under dissection microscope with transmitted light at about 30x magnification. Best of luck.

A solution of Formic acid/sodium citrate to 1 decalcify the tooth 2 then mount in paraffin wax 3 slice sections on microtome 4 alcohol to remove wax 5 fix to slide 6 stain with H & E 7 read under dissection microscope with transmitted light at about 30x magnification. Best of luck.

Many thanks - that is most appreciated! :)

I'd say this one is on the older side,wouldn't you?

DSC002100001.jpg

Back