Over-Booted Woodland Stalkers

Klenchblaize

I'm convinced that if as much care was given to the correct choice of woodland stalking shoe as is that of rifles and optics it would put many more deer in the larder than another half minute of accuracy might.

So many of the boots I see woodland stalkers trussed up in seem more appropriate to the upper elevations of the Alps than a Sussex ride in anything but deepest winter and I really can't think why unless further proof of the power of advertising.

Below are what I use and although now ten years old and showing their age I have no intention of discarding them even though the steel arch shanks have disintegrated as this has only improved ground contact along with the now paper thin rubber sole. Exactly what you want in a stalking boot and at the expense of all other qualities. Yes, they attract moisture like blotting paper, afford little grip and render feet of Best Practice larder temp in minutes on a frosty morning but I love them and only wish Cabela's hadn't dropped them so I could stock up with a few pairs.
:cry:

IMG_2591.jpg

Cheers

K

K. I'm not sure I agree. I am quite attached to my ankles. Last winter as I stumbled about in the deep snow in a plantation, kicking myself for not bringing my snow shoes, I went through the ice in a furrow and went up to my thigh in the freezing water. I'm glad I had stout boots on this and on the other occasions that I've tripped and slipped my way across clear fells.
Regards JCS

K. I'm not sure I agree. I am quite attached to my ankles. Last winter as I stumbled about in the deep snow in a plantation, kicking myself for not bringing my snow shoes, I went through the ice in a furrow and went up to my thigh in the freezing water. I'm glad I had stout boots on this and on the other occasions that I've tripped and slipped my way across clear fells.
Regards JCS

I was thinking more carpet of wild garlic or early Autumn leaf fall than snow but ankles are good and I take the never too distant H&S point as my stalking pumps would never pass FC or Best Practice muster.

Put it down to my propensity to take things to extremes as anyone who knows me will confirm. And watch this space for 2013's new Spring craze that is sure to be "barefoot roe stalking"!

Cheers

K

Most stalking involves some degree of management and this often means clear fell, deep heather, concealed drains and ditches and other such mantraps.

You drag a stag, or even a hind for that matter, off clear fell in those and once you've got out of hospital and have plenty of time on your hands sitting about in your plaster cast you can come back on here and file a report :)

Being serious though, I've no doubt that they are well suited to some ground if the worst you have to cope with as an area of slightly longer grass but please don't venture out on clear fell or moorland type ground in these as there really is the potential to do yourself some serious damage.

I do agree,and I used to have a pair of slip on trainer type shoes from USA(Ebay)and I wore them till they fell off,they were by no means waterproof,but I don't mind getting wet feet to put a Deer on the grass,but in the winter out come the Irish Setters as I just don't like cold feet...above all you must feel and be comfortable in your gear.

come on be brave and put them in the bin R.I.P they look as though they have done there time !!!

And spend a mere $347 + import taxes on a pair of Russell Trackers that are billed as the “Ultimate Boot for tracking and stalking”??

trackerlg.gif

Pass me the Bostik!

K

Regards JCS
now then JCS, was that before, or after a rather large dram!!!, PS, you had the water & the ice, did you remeber your hipflask (or Hic flask)

A good topic to raise, i spent this year wearing a pair of salomon speed cross 3, cross country running trainers! (when is wasnt ****ing down!) They have awesome grip, are extremely light and you can feel any twig youre about to snap under feet, ideal in any beech wood and highly recommended!

salomon footwear is awesome, ive still got a knackered pair thats about 7 years old, took me 5 of almost daily use before i wore them out. so comfortable and light.

Back