Rowan Berry mystery.

Schiehallion

At this time of year on our hill paths there are numerous small piles of wet, possibly part digested Rowan berries.
I have never seen what leaves these deposits and they are found almost exclusively on the footpaths.
I know that migratory thrushes (fieldfares,redwings) feed on the hill rowan crop but I have never seen them frequent paths after feeding. Maybe they eject them from their crops for some reason while picking up grit on the tracks? Or are the culprits Pine Martens?
No doubt some venerable and more knowledgeable hill man than I can solve my little mystery?
S.

Pine martens, juveniles.

juveniles don,t yet have the enzymes in their gut to break down the berries.

Over here (Norway) we have nearly the same thing. The woods and roads are full of crap with undigested cranberries. I put them down to foxes.

Definatly Pinemartens. Birds digest away the fruit from the seed very efficiently. Thats how nature has arranged the spread of seed away from the parent tree. If you want to raise Rowans from seed you need to mash up the berry and wash off all the pulp before sowing or the seed will fail. Isnt nature amazing sometimes. David

Jays can digest rowan berries, they have pretty strong guts - think acorn!

Although berries will break down in most birds digestive systems, it will certainly colour the s***.

by breaking down the berry in the gut, they then deposit the seeds in a clump of fertilizer.

That will be Pine Martens they leave their signature in rowans all over my garden path and patio.

John

On the subject of berries, shot a fox last year that was stuffed full of yew berries. I though they were poisonous then was informed by a gardener that its only the stone that is poisonous to us. Thought it would be the same for the fox.

On the subject of berries, I though they were poisonous then was informed by a gardener that its only the stone that is poisonous to us. Thought it would be the same for the fox.
Not quite true I'm afraid, all parts except the berry flesh (aril) carry taxin , a complex alkaloid.

Has been used to treat cancer but will kill equally well.

Also not safe to assume that because one species can tolerate certain compounds, that others can.

Not quite true I'm afraid, all parts except the berry flesh (aril) carry taxin , a complex alkaloid.

Has been used to treat cancer but will kill equally well.

Also not safe to assume that because one species can tolerate certain compounds, that others can.

Thanks for clearing that up. Ater I was told they were safe to eat I tried one, very sweet.

Thanks to the hillmen for your knowledgeable replies.
Kind of thought it must be Martens if not birds.
Funny thing is on one stalkers path there are piles (about as much as a handful) of these berries every 50-100yds of track and between 50 and 100yds from the burn-side where the rowans are and way out on the hill from the forestry.There must be far more Marten activity after dark than we realise. I see them fairly regularly but they must be quite numerous if this really is Marten sign. Even more strange is that while stalking the other day we traversed one of the high ridges (about 2900ft) and found the same thing among the high stunted vegetation and lichens. Never thought Martens would stray that far from cover??? Unless there are more species than just Pine Martens which regurgitate them and fieldfares or foxes also exhibit this trait.
Not sure this mystery is definately solved yet.
More discussion required.
S.

The thing which makes me doubt foxes is, although I know foxes are pretty good climbers, I can't see them plucking berries from spindly trees overhanging deep,steep rock girt hill burns and ravines?
S.

Not sure if it's pine Martens, the must be an aw'ful lot in D&G as the foot paths was littered with them weekend.
My thoughts was the field fairs had gorged them selves on them , then regurgitated the excess.

The thing which makes me doubt foxes is, although I know foxes are pretty good climbers, I can't see them plucking berries from spindly trees overhanging deep,steep rock girt hill burns and ravines?
S.

Just going to say the same, don't be fooled by the PMs reputation as a woodland animal, I've seen them well out into the hill, same with badgers and otters. Especially in July august when there are a lot of frogs.

Back