BBC news website - Golden Eagle found shot

Beggers Belief
Lets hope the the person/persons involved are caught and punished but I won't hold my breath maybe the police already know but its a hard one to prove sadly
shame they cannot revolk thier SGC/FAC under the law of probability
not good news for the shooting community.

PJ.

shame they cannot revolk thier SGC/FAC under the law of probability
PJ.

Because that's a great suggestion ain't it...... how many times have we heard of a person wrongly accused? somebody with a axe to grind against a neighbor? etc etc
Now I'm not condoning what they done here, personally I think they should be in prison for it. But if you start that were do we stop??? do we put them in prison because we think the done something???

IF indeed this bird was shot, it is really appalling.

Once again the shooting fraternity finds itself on the backfoot.

Bob

Beggers BeliefLets hope the the person/persons involved are caught and punished but I won't hold my breath maybe the police already know but its a hard one to prove sadlyshame they cannot revolk thier SGC/FAC under the law of probabilitynot good news for the shooting community.PJ.
If that was the burden off proof, I would have lost my SGC nearly 30 years ago. I won't go into details, but a well-respected member of the community made an accusation against me. The police arrived to confiscate my SGC, but realised that there was more to the matter than they had initially been led to believe. My accuser was subsequently convicted of assault (for a different case several years later), amongst various other 'issues' that were subject to formal investigation. It is the only time in my life that I have been accused of committing a criminal act, and I cannot fault the way that the police dealt with the matter, but it could very easily have ended my invovement in a sport that I love.

Last edited:
Because that's a great suggestion ain't it...... how many times have we heard of a person wrongly accused? somebody with a axe to grind against a neighbor? etc etc
Now I'm not condoning what they done here, personally I think they should be in prison for it. But if you start that were do we stop??? do we put them in prison because we think the done something???
i
you need to edit some of your wording as makes no sense.
neighbours with grudges etc hardly ever get any further than police enquires and as for any action taken are minute compared to the numbers of SGC/FAC holders
but maybe you believe all the hype that is posted on the web with no factual proof what so ever.
Those that act illegally are the only ones who have to be concerned
As for was it shot lets hope a proper examination was performed before they stated that fact.

PJ.

Totally abhorrent if it was intentional.
I suppose it could have been accidental – an eagle predating a pheasant/partridge during a shoot? Strange things can happen – on a driven partridge day I saw a partridge fly into a telephone wire and drop straight to the ground, so not beyond the realms of possibility that it was an accident.
We also assume that SGC and FAC holders are beyond reproach, unfortunately there are still rogues around who may bring the sport into disrepute.

A terrible thing to happen to such a magnificent bird. However with tail and wing feather damage had it been a shotgun that caused the damage I would have expected leg and body injuries as has been said it is not beyond the realms of possibility it was an accident. Easy to lay the blame on shooting. Lets hope the bird makes a full recovery.

A terrible thing to happen to such a magnificent bird. However with tail and wing feather damage had it been a shotgun that caused the damage I would have expected leg and body injuries as has been said it is not beyond the realms of possibility it was an accident. Easy to lay the blame on shooting. Lets hope the bird makes a full recovery.

My thoughts exactly I'd have even thought an odd pellet or two would have been recovered had it been shot. Some people too quick to make assumptions although results already achieved in most quarters I think.

Why would anyone won't to shoot such a rare bird in the UK. I just can't beleave some people.

Regards
craig

Rspb media release

"
Condemnation as golden eagle found shot

RSPB Scotland has today (10th Oct 2012) condemned the shooting of a golden eagle, found barely alive, by a walker in Dumfriesshire.

The bird was discovered on Saturday 6th October on a grouse moor near Wanlockhead, close to the Southern Upland Way. However, it is not clear precisely where the shooting occurred.

The eagle, an adult male, was recovered by Scottish SPCA inspectors and is undergoing treatment at its new rehabilitation centre near Alloa.

Examination by vets showed shotgun pellets had caused injuries to the tail muscles and one wing. The bird also had extensive feather damage, suggesting it had been floundering on the ground for some time and had not been able to feed. It is too early to tell whether the bird will recover.

Stuart Housden, Director RSPB Scotland commented “With one golden eagle already found poisoned this year, and a second bird the apparent victim of an illegal trap, this is yet another appalling incident. Whoever pulled the trigger must have deliberately targeted one of our most iconic birds, with lethal intentions.

“Whoever it was has access to a shotgun, and the confidence to use it in this area. Much has been made of an apparent recent decline in the illegal poisoning of Scotland’s birds of prey, but this, and other recent criminal incidents, show that efforts to stamp out the illegal persecution of strictly protected wildlife have a considerable way to go.”

"

I would like to see the following RSPB media release reporting on a crime that I witnessed today:

"Condemnation as garden bird found mauled to death.

RSPB Scotland has today confirmed that the mauled body of a goldfinch was found in a garden in Aberdeenshire. Local vet's have confirmed that a dental imprint taken indicated a serial killer in the area has struck yet again, an obese overfed feline known locally as Tabby.

The bird was found at around 4pm by a 5 year old boy who with his father was re-filling the bird feeders in the garden, only to find the blood-soaked carcass of the technicolour avian beauty.

It is known that a number of domestic cats regularly patrol the area to cause fear, distress and death to the defenceless birds, killing hundreds of birds each week.

The RSPB will be unrelentless in tracking down the so called owners of these household 'pets' in order to prevent continued avian-murders taking place, in broad daylight and in front of impressionable children. We will continue to lobby for the awareness of this heinous crime - unless it significantly impacts on the collection of funds for our charity. In which case we will forego the witch hunt in favour of a minority group that persecute other birds once in a blue moon"

ends

+1 to virbus, quite good that

But i would add if it has been shot it is a disgrace, and whoever done it should be severly punished as doesnae help the shooting community at all or help when trying to get licences for buzzards granted

Althou same again as last eagle allegedly trapped in angus, both are in very high profile areas, both are fairly near estates that may have had some form in past allegedly and found in fairly public places. Depending how hard it's been hit and travelled but i serously doubt any keeper would be stupid enough to shoot 1 near the southern upland way.
Plus very little nesting areas (goldens nest on cliff faces right) in that area tend to be more rolling hills so most goldens are transient (also know a couple are radio tagged too) so prob do very little harm apart from a shoot day possibly by scaring moving birds
I would also have thought would have suffered pretty serious damage if had been shot by a keeper as generally sec 1 semi's up that neck off woods, so usually have plenty off fire power. IF and a big IF it was shot i'd have imagined would have had so much lead in it wouldnae get far

Wether or not it has been shot, damage has already been done to shooting community again

+ 1 to you too, countrryboy.

If it was intentional it is deplorable, and whichever way it has been reported or whether mis-informed, it is a taint on shooting.
Unfortunate as it may sound, I should imagine there are firearms users out there who think they can get away with it or indeed just use a firearm as a tool and may not even think it is wrong?

Let's face it, there are significantly more firearms holders in the UK than there are members of shooting organisations and forums. They use the gun as a tool and don't get involved in the wider shooting community or engage in the discussions and topics that engulf our chosen sport or pastime. Ergo, they don't keep up to date with developments or legislation so just get on with things as they see fit, maybe as they always have and they won't change. Rather like the attitude within some demographic groups to drink-driving - always done it and it will never happen to me so why change?

The main thing here is that this fantastic bird of prey recovers and the wildlife officer of Dumfries has the investigation under control and if any one hears anything regarding how the bird got in this way please contact the police.

I know what your saying lads, that you ( me included ) cant believe that anyone would be stupid enough to take a shot at one of these magnificant birds of prey, but it looks like someone has been !! im sure if a gun was on a peg shooting that they would notice a bird of that size drifting amongst the game birds :confused:

Back