Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seal attacks gundog retrieving a duck

Poor sod, never heard of that happening before!

are navy seals meant to be operating in our waters??
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Must admit I've never given it a thought before, I will now. What a horrific thing to happen, then having to put your own dog down. Thoughts go out to him

I've had a few close calls with seals over the years mainly with pups or there mothers protecting pups on land. I centainly wouldnt pick a fight with one (very big teeth).
    I can't imagine what a mess the poor dog was in and my heart goes out to the owner having to put it down.

Its a bit disconcerting when you are out deep wading in the half light after bass and they suddenly appear and swim around you!

Even more so when you're freelining mackerel and hook one on 8olb braid!!!!!
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

They say nothing is new under the sun. Many years ago I read a book written in pre-victorian times about wild sport in Scotland. The author, who would be strung up for shooting the species now he did then, decided to try to secure a Grey Seal . He took a huge Mastiff dog down to the beach near Nairn and encouraged it to grip a seal so he could rush down and bring his musket to bear on it. To his surprize the seal "crushed the giant dog's head with one bite."

Are you allowed to cull seals today I mean, can you get a variation on your FC. or is seals still a taboo subject?

Seal culling is allowed to protect salmon nets but only under license. Even then it's almost to be done covertly to stop all the anti's kicking up a fuss. Might be a different story if these 'harmless' creatures attacked one of their dogs or even worse a child.