Seal attacks gundog retrieving a duck

Must admit I've never given it a thought before, I will now. What a horrific thing to happen, then having to put your own dog down. Thoughts go out to him
Wingy

I've had a few close calls with seals over the years mainly with pups or there mothers protecting pups on land. I centainly wouldnt pick a fight with one (very big teeth).
I can't imagine what a mess the poor dog was in and my heart goes out to the owner having to put it down.

Andy

Its a bit disconcerting when you are out deep wading in the half light after bass and they suddenly appear and swim around you!

They say nothing is new under the sun. Many years ago I read a book written in pre-victorian times about wild sport in Scotland. The author, who would be strung up for shooting the species now he did then, decided to try to secure a Grey Seal . He took a huge Mastiff dog down to the beach near Nairn and encouraged it to grip a seal so he could rush down and bring his musket to bear on it. To his surprize the seal "crushed the giant dog's head with one bite."

David

Seal culling is allowed to protect salmon nets but only under license. Even then it's almost to be done covertly to stop all the anti's kicking up a fuss. Might be a different story if these 'harmless' creatures attacked one of their dogs or even worse a child.

There are now between 300-400 seals at the estury of the Ythan at Newburgh.
The salmon population of this once great fishing river has been decimated.
The Scottish Government (unfortunately) does not have the balls to give the go ahead for a licensed cull there !

ATB

CVK

This would have been so traumatic and tragic for the owner and completely unexpected. I was in Brora on Wednesday and took this photo of a seal lurking in the esturary near the bridge, will be keeping my water daft cocker away from tidal areas.

[SUP]P1060884.JPG[/SUP]

Last edited:
Its a bit disconcerting when you are out deep wading in the half light after bass and they suddenly appear and swim around you!

That is a fact.

I was waist deep in Carlingford Lough here one summer evening a couple of years ago. (Fly fishing for Mackerel - brilliant sport by the way). Bloody big seal appeared about six feet away. I actually fed him a couple of of fish and he messed about for a few minutes and cleared off.

Most people don't appreciate what a big strong animal a seal is. Probably four times the weight of a labrador and completely in his element in the sea. They are a nuisance at times no doubt, but a fantastic animal all the same.

That is a fact.

I was waist deep in Carlingford Lough here one summer evening a couple of years ago. (Fly fishing for Mackerel - brilliant sport by the way). Bloody big seal appeared about six feet away. I actually fed him a couple of of fish and he messed about for a few minutes and cleared off.

Most people don't appreciate what a big strong animal a seal is. Probably four times the weight of a labrador and completely in his element in the sea. They are a nuisance at times no doubt, but a fantastic animal all the same.

even more disconcerting when you are 4 miles off the tidal water fishing a salmon river and one pops up inthe pool looking at you from a few metres away!

even more disconcerting when you are 4 miles off the tidal water fishing a salmon river and one pops up inthe pool looking at you from a few metres away!

That'll work.

I was fishing the sea pool at Ballisadare in Co Sligo this time last year. There was no water and about a 1000 fish lying up in the tide pool, which is right in the middle of the vilage about 500 yards of the estuary. A bloody great seal popped up about ten yards from me. There was complete chaos. The river keeper was not at all impressed. There were muttered comments about "f##king seals" and "the f##king 243".

Hi,

October is the start of the seal's breeding season. I understand that they become very protective of their area at this time of the year for obvious reasons.
Used to Sea Kayak, where you're sitting, floating with only a layer of plastic between you and the sea in a 16.5ft long, 22inch wide 'boat'. I have had seals bang the underneath with their flippers in curiosity but usually they just swim in your wake popping up now and again. It can be a bit disconcerting when alongside up pops a seals head, about the size of a football, seems to grin at you and then plops under again . However, they never did me any harm.
My sympathies to the dog's owner.

went bassing one night little place called sennen cove was talking to my mate and only half looking where i was going jumped down off a low rock
only bout 3 feet high and instead of landing on the sand i landed on a bloody great seal that had hauled itself up for the night it let out a bellow and so
did i frightend the pish out of me had a job to recover my kit used my mates rod to scrape mine out of the way of its head it kept trying to whip around
and bite me was mighty up set had to wash sand out of my reel ......not so cuddly as they look my mate was creased up laughing at me

Back