Balancing rifle in sling

otisthedog

With a stainless mod (northstar) and 12-25 bipod (ie a biggish one), my rifle constantly wants to slip round on my shoulder when carried barrel up (unless I steady the stock with my right hand... pain in the *rse). Trouble is, I can't carry barrel down as much of my stalking ground has long rushes and heavy undergrowth. Without buying a whole load of different slings to try... anyone got a simple solution?
Admitted the bipod could probably go but, then I never know when I might need it - it's also useful for putting the rifle down.

Carry the rifle in front of your shoulder. Loop a cord through your belt and allow the rifle to droop forward. You then hook the loop over the hand grip such that the tension stops everything going forward. Fine tune to fit. Just grab the grip , move forward and your loop releases.

Alternative is to use a sling that holds the rife across your chest.

Bottom line is your carrying too much weight.......and maybe the rifle is as well ;)

Stan

I have a similar problem. I have found an answer of sorts. I use a long sling and loop the sling round the comb so that when I am carrying the rifle, the sling in effect attaches at the bottom just below the bolt. The sling is still attached at the std point near the toe of the stock. Regards JCS

I have a similar problem. I have found an answer of sorts. I use a long sling and loop the sling round the comb so that when I am carrying the rifle, the sling in effect attaches at the bottom just below the bolt. The sling is still attached at the std point near the toe of the stock. Regards JCS

Sounds like a great idea JCS - will try, thanks. Cheers for the other options folks :)

what kind of coat do you wear?
I use the pocket opening straps on mine, looped around the pistol grip to hold the rifle upright.

one pop and its free.

there is a thing you can buy that attaches to your belt which whilst it looks comfortable does look tricky to use with a coat that goes past your waist

what kind of coat do you wear?
I use the pocket opening straps on mine, looped around the pistol grip to hold the rifle upright.

one pop and its free.

there is a thing you can buy that attaches to your belt which whilst it looks comfortable does look tricky to use with a coat that goes past your waist

HA! Just bought a replacement jacket (thin cheapy realtree job) and first thing I did was cut off the pocket straps as they got in the way :). Typical.

Have actually found something kicking about the house that seems to be perfect... a 'magnetic net release' for fishing nets to be clipped on waistcoat. Basically two strong magnets.
Clip one to a belt loop on trousers, and the other to the bottom of rifle sling near the QD swivel at the butt. Carry rifle barrel up but the butt is held at your belt. Quick tug and it comes away.
Will have to try in the field but seems to work quite well!

That looks very interesting, does the bit of cord that goes around the pistol grip not get in the way of firing etc?

no mate you get used to the feel of it after a while but of course you know its there and sort of learn to disregard it i had lot of trouble with heavy pes mod slipping my rifle off my shoulder or trying to go horizontal even when carrying diagonally acroos my back then i got the z aim problem solved stays upright even when climing steep banks or over obsticles my only gripe is i wish they would make i thicker version its well made and strong its just that for belts straps braces ect i like meaty versions

There used to be a thing advertised as a 'Rifle Holster' it was a hook that fitted on your belt towards the middle of your back.
The idea was that you slung the rifle over your shoulder then pushed the rifle to the rear and the plastic coated hook went round the stock in the region of the pistol grip and held the rifle in place, rather good bit of kit.
I have one some where in my garage but am loath to search for it as it was chucked in there back in the early eighties!!

no mate you get used to the feel of it after a while but of course you know its there and sort of learn to disregard it i had lot of trouble with heavy pes mod slipping my rifle off my shoulder or trying to go horizontal even when carrying diagonally acroos my back then i got the z aim problem solved stays upright even when climing steep banks or over obsticles my only gripe is i wish they would make i thicker version its well made and strong its just that for belts straps braces ect i like meaty versions

Thanks for that mate might give one ago for my other rifle instead of swapping slings every time I use the other one.......

There used to be a thing advertised as a 'Rifle Holster' it was a hook that fitted on your belt towards the middle of your back.
The idea was that you slung the rifle over your shoulder then pushed the rifle to the rear and the plastic coated hook went round the stock in the region of the pistol grip and held the rifle in place, rather good bit of kit.
I have one some where in my garage but am loath to search for it as it was chucked in there back in the early eighties!!

Like this one http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

Back