Driven boar lead card.

Glendine

Driven boar lead card.

Hi all,

This maybe of interest to some members.
Its a lead card for driven boar ranging form 20 meters to 80meters at speeds of 5km/h to 50km/h.

Its not specific to calibre or bullet grain weight but I hope its of some use.

Regards,
Glendine.

Ok for a rough guide, but every caliber and ammo will produce different results. I use a 12 guage slug gun for boar. And it took a bit of practice to get as good as I was with the rifle.

I don't speak German so I may have missed the answer to this question. Apologies for that if it is so.

How do you use the reference points?

Do you fire at those points with a stationary rifle barrel?

The reason I ask is because; I thought, perhaps wrongly, that if one shoots from a swinging barrel.. ie. a gun barrel tracking in the same axis as the target's direction of travel and matched for speed by aiming at the snout (of a Boar, for instance) and keeping "on" as the target moves. Then there will be an additional vector of velocity imparted to the bullet such that it's flight will tend to also arc in the direction of the travel of the target... Or is that theory proven wrong?

Most shots will be taken whilst swinging the rifle, (in the manner of a shotgun) tracking the game, pulling ahead, and firing based on distance and speed. However its just as viable to wait ahead of the running game and shoot when it reaches the firing point. This takes more skill especially if the boar is distant and/or fast, as it reduces the viable reaction time, you must be more accurate in timing the shot this way as the point of aim will be gone much faster due to the greater speed difference between barrel and game.
Hope this helps

It does say using a bullet travelling at 800mps or 2,600fps so whichever bullet you are using, as long as it has the same velocity, then use the table as shown.

It does say using a bullet travelling at 800mps or 2,600fps so whichever bullet you are using, as long as it has the same velocity, then use the table as shown.

"as shown"

See this is the bit where my not having any German causes a problem. Does the table show whether to shoot ahead of the running boar from a stationary, "lead" postition or is it showing a swinging, "lead" postition?

ie, should my barrel assume the indicated point of aim/lead while stationary or swinging? .... Which is it?

Ok Lets have a go at explaining, when I have finished if anybodyt else can improve on it feel free to do so.
As has already been said most shots are taking when swinging through the target, like using a shotgun, however using this chart you can (in theory) hold forward of your quarry and shoot when it reached the point indicated in the chart.
Lets say the Boar is walking along at normal speed, the Chart reckons 5km/h similar to a mans average walking pace when going somewhere other than a stroll.
Lets say the Boar is at 40m then you would fire apx 10cm ahead, on the green spot.
If it was running at speed with dogs chasing it, say 40km/h, and still at 40m then you would fire apx just under 60cm ahead, on the red spot as indicated on the chart.
Lets say it was doing it's normal thing, running at 30km/h, having been chased by the dogs but is well ahead of them, and the distance from you is 80m then you would have to let fly apx 90cm ahead of it on the pink spot.
That is the best I can do to explain it but if anybody has any other interpretation of it please feel free to tear me to bits because it is over forty years since I went to a language school.

Ok Lets have a go at explaining, when I have finished if anybodyt else can improve on it feel free to do so.
As has already been said most shots are taking when swinging through the target, like using a shotgun, however using this chart you can (in theory) hold forward of your quarry and shoot when it reached the point indicated in the chart.
Lets say the Boar is walking along at normal speed, the Chart reckons 5km/h similar to a mans average walking pace when going somewhere other than a stroll.
Lets say the Boar is at 40m then you would fire apx 10cm ahead, on the green spot.
If it was running at speed with dogs chasing it, say 40km/h, and still at 40m then you would fire apx just under 60cm ahead, on the red spot as indicated on the chart.
Lets say it was doing it's normal thing, running at 30km/h, having been chased by the dogs but is well ahead of them, and the distance from you is 80m then you would have to let fly apx 90cm ahead of it on the pink spot.
That is the best I can do to explain it but if anybody has any other interpretation of it please feel free to tear me to bits because it is over forty years since I went to a language school.

Seams a very straight forward reply.

Having never shot driven boar I can't comment but that does make sense.

Also can you shoot them like you would a 'crossing' clay, by starting behind and swinging through and maintaining a lead and then firing??

Would like to know how people do it.

might have to pop up to Minsterly for a go ( if they still have it up there )

Cheers

Jonathon

It is very much the same as clay shooting in that you follow through and fire ahead of the target.
I swing to catch the animal up and the speed of the animal will dictate how fast I swing but I keep going and as I pass the snout pull the trigger.
Obviously the speed I need to catch the animal up and pass it maintaining the same speed, will give me more lead ahead of the animal even tho I pull the trigger as I pass the snout.
Writing all this down is difficult as when I shoot at running boar I don't think about it, I just swing and fire, when and if I hit it is nearly always well forward and the pig goes down.
I did underestimate the distance and speed on one occasion and hit the poor pig in the back leg, fortunately for me my colleague further along the line shot and killed it. We didn't realise that I had hit it until we got it in the trailor.

It is very much the same as clay shooting in that you follow through and fire ahead of the target.
I swing to catch the animal up and the speed of the animal will dictate how fast I swing but I keep going and as I pass the snout pull the trigger.
Obviously the speed I need to catch the animal up and pass it maintaining the same speed, will give me more lead ahead of the animal even tho I pull the trigger as I pass the snout.
Writing all this down is difficult as when I shoot at running boar I don't think about it, I just swing and fire, when and if I hit it is nearly always well forward and the pig goes down.
I did underestimate the distance and speed on one occasion and hit the poor pig in the back leg, fortunately for me my colleague further along the line shot and killed it. We didn't realise that I had hit it until we got it in the trailor.

Thanks for the reply.

Would love to have a go at some point in time.

Cheers

Jonathon

Back