Eley Subsonic Xtra Plus vs Eley Subsonic Hollow Point (help)

mrgsm

Just asking the question of is there any diff in the new packaged Eley bullets with out the Xtra Plus on the box!!

i have just purchased some more Eley hollow points and found out on the box they no longer say Xtra plus on the box ??
so a quick call to Eley to ask if there was any diff, they said no, it's only the packaging that's changed ??

so the question to members that have used the Xtra Plus and the new packaged boxes is there any diff in the bullets!

thanks...

Intresting when they first came out they were not called called Xtra Plus and I think the bullet weight was 38grn. They then went to 40grn and were called Xtra Plus. I use them in my annie, however Winchester subs are almost as good. Suprisingly Magtechs were brilliant in my annie and so cheap, but now not so and v difficult to get hold of.

D

No difference whatsoever, I'm still head shooting bunnies at 150yds with it and no re-zeroing from xtra plus to hollow point.

I've tested out to 100yds with my Cz 452 and they will do an inch at 100 believe it or not,am yet to try that range though :eek:

i shot win subs at 50 100 150
groups at 100 were as you say around 1-2" drift was around 3" with a light breeze

at 150 they were grouping 5-6" and -20-24" with a drift of 6"!

Ive always found Eley ammo to be shite they just plop out the end of the barrel i only use Winchester ammo in my .22 as for previous posts it is surprising how far the .22 bullet will go and how accurate and effective it is on foxes

I recon it is not far fetched at all to shoot bunnies in the head at 150yds, indeed i have when out for a bit of a wanda with the .22 shot at and killed rabbits at this sort of distance, but and it is a big but, not with any great consistancy, out to 80yds yes but from there on a little luck is needed no matter how good you think you are.
There is a difference between grouping at an inch at 100yds from a bench rest and rabbiting of sticks or the back of a pickup?

Keep the replies coming about the eley bullets and how the new boxes perform.. Thanks

The reason I now use eley is my savage loves them, tried Winchesters but too much wax on them and after about 60 shots does not eject them properly, gun has no problems with ejecting eley..

The Winchesters are a good bullet but not in all guns...

Last edited:
I shoot a finnfire range with an MTC viper with the SCB reticle which in IMO is excellent and only use Eley Subs. Zeroed at 50yds I have calculated and tested (from a bipod on a bench so absolutely rock steady) this out on paper targets to 120yds plus using the different aim points of this reticle. This rifle has a very light trigger and is capable of sub 1" accuracy at 100yds in good conditions and I have shot quite a few maggies and the odd rabbit with a head shot at between 100-120yds (6 magpies in one day) from this bench with a very high success rate.

However, I only attempt this in perfect conditions with no wind and the quarry is ranged with a Zeiss Rangefinder so I know the range exactly and can calculate the drop exactly too. So I guess it should be possible at 150yds, but with the greatly increased risk of wounding, is it really ethical?

Incidentally, I recently bought a new brick of Eley Subs and noticed a big improvement in accuracy compared to the old batch -why? Also, I have tried winnie subs on several occasions and never found them in any of my .22's (and I've had a few) to be as accurate as the Eleys.

Last edited:
Don't judge everyone else by your low standards.

Finnfire with a S&B PM2 on it.

get that video camera out then.
I am not debating that you (or anyone else for that matter) can hit a 150yd target.
I am debating that Eley subs will group inside 2-3" at 150yds

you show me a video (not a photo) of you putting 5 (Eley subsonic) rounds inside a 3" circle (I should say 2" to be fair to the rabbit) at 150yds and I will publicly apologise and eat humble pie.

its not a slur on your shooting ability or your equipment, it doesnt make any difference if you have a full custom rifle with all the bells and whistles....the rounds won't give you accurate enough groups at that range to headshoot rabbits with better than 50:50 odds.

50:50 is not good enough to claim accurate head shots (for me at least)

I am inclined to agree with bewsher500 on this at 150yds,I will try it at some point,I have a target I shot at 50,60,70,80,90 and 100yds,will try to get it put on this thread,will have to get one of my kids to do it as I don't know how too :doh:

Back