What type of metal should a flash hider be made from?

Tackleberry270

Question for the Gunsmiths on the forum. As above. What metal should a flash hider/muzzle brake be made from? Does this apply to thread protectors also? I have a friend who has the expertise to try making a few variations. Anything else he needs to know? Thanks.

Off hand I'd say it should be made of a metal that has the same expansion qualities and resistance to heat as the barrel~Muir

Question for the Gunsmiths on the forum. As above. What metal should a flash hider/muzzle brake be made from? Does this apply to thread protectors also? I have a friend who has the expertise to try making a few variations. Anything else he needs to know? Thanks.

If you make it out of the same type of material the barrel is made of then there will be no issues.
Quality of the machining will be the key.

Tim.243

Is there a online reference somewhere that you can use to find them? The barrel to be experimented with will be an SSG PII.

Realistically you should use 4140, 4340, 4350 type steel (unless stainless) to take the shock (gas blast) and general wear resistance.

This is the standard for most barrels, actions and other pressure parts (CM steel)

A thread protector is not subject to the shock or wear, so any steel (EN1, EN1A.....) would be fine - although we tend to make them out of barrel offcuts - just because it tends to blue the same as barrels!

Julie & Tony

Off hand I'd say it should be made of a metal that has the same expansion qualities and resistance to heat as the barrel~Muir

Same metal as the barrel to prevent disimilar metal corrosion? But on second thoughts if it is like a moderator I'd guess for the short periods of time whilst fitted that previous statement might be completely irrelevant...

just buy one,there cheap enough

Are we talking thread protectors here or muzzle brakes? If it is the latter then can you share any links that you can find. They need to be threaded in 5/8ths and suit the profile of a heavy barrell Steyr SSG. There are quite a few reasons why I am looking at getting on made. One of them being I am quite fussy.

There seems to be hundreds for the airsoft market. If someone can explain why an air gun needs a muzzle brake or indeed a flash hider !!??

Do you need variation for a flash-hider?
If the definition of a firearm includes

"any accessory to any such weapon designed or adapted to diminish the noise or flash caused by firing the weapon"

then the answer may well be "Yes" !

Here's one I had made for my Blaser 30-06, it's made from stainless steel with a 15x1 spigot thread.
Cost me all of £40.00

Here's one I had made for my Blaser 30-06, it's made from stainless steel with a 15x1 spigot thread.
Cost me all of £40.00

Yes, this is about the starting price I had seen all the way up to £100+. So what is your take on the variation question? Could someone manufacturing these fall foul of any legislation?

It does not diminish the flash and it certainly doesn't diminish the noise so as far as I, and many others, are concerned it is no more than a 'Posh' thread protector.

who or what exactly are we hiding the flash from?
armed and dangerous Sika that may return fire?

other than some slightly ripe loads I mixed up with N165 in a short barrelled .270 I have yet to notice huge jets of flames coming out of any of my muzzles

Back