DEER SKIN/HIDE

CHRIS WORLEY

Does anyone out there cure the deer skins if so I would be very pleased to know how. I cure fox brush,s by soaking in meths for about 6 weeks then wash in soapy water. No I dont drink the meths after Happy stalking every body,GREAT WEBSITE

deer skins to leather.

Hi Chris,
I've done a skin at home, but it was no where near as good as the ones I've had done by the pros. I got the hair off as I wanted leather not a deer skin. soaked in parafin for about a month, then finaly made a paste of bicarbonate of soda and parafin, smeared it on and left to dry.
Best bet is to send it to a small scale tanners (I use one in Bridgwater Sommerset) and pay them the twenty or so quid to get it done right. I can get their details if it would help you. The main problem with home cures is they will still rot if allowed to get wet. When they are done right i.e. by professional tanners, that does not occur, provided you dry them out.
Best of luck,
Mark

Hi Chris

I can email you a PDf if you like but it basically goes like this
1. Flesh off the hide
2.Soak in fresh water a couple of time to remove any blood etc
3. Soak for 3-4 days in a alum, soda and salt solution
4. Rinse off in borax solution
5 Remove excess water and dry the hair side as well as you can then sytetch on a board flesh side out.
6.Allow to dry and remove any fleshy/fibrous bits you missed.
7. Oil the hide skin side ands allow to dry further.
8. If you want the skin soft and flexy you will need to manipulate it a lot.

I use the good skins for rugs in the cabin but it is quite a bit of work.

Mark

Not sure what went wrong but I have changed it now and it works fine.

Hi Buckup.
I have tried various methods over the years, some work some don't.
I'd be interested in the contact No of the Tanner in Bridgwater for future reference if you would oblige.
Thanks,
Eddy McC

Back