Remington 700 lh 270 win

robbo'srifle

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts, i was in my local gun shop on saturday to buy some bullet heads for my 243. Anyways i bought my bits and bobs and went for a wander round as you do, and i came across this remmi 700 lh in 270 in the second hand rack . It was in excellent condition almost like new it had a leopould scope and a T8 fitted all for £600.
I have been on the look out for another rifle for a while, this one fits the bill being left handed, synthetic stocked and moderated. It would be used for stags in scotland and an odd trip over seas for a go at some boar.
I've put a deposit on the rifle to hold it while i get my varation sorted, i just wanted your oppinions and advice and experiances with this rifle and caliber.

Thanks Guys

I stalk with .308,.243 and .270. I have to say the 270 is my favourite. I have a Heym SR21 with 3-9x50 scope. I use 130grain softpoints from PRVI Partizan. Very flat shooting, low recoil yet devastating at the other end. The greatest fan of the 270 was Jack O'Connor, probably the most famous hunter/writers of North America. Will take everything from small deer to Elk.
If I was to go to Africa, I would have to take the 270 for plains game.

I'm a fellow left-hooker, and I shoot a Sako 691 in .270, wearing an ASE Jet-Z mod. It is quite mild with 140g reloads, although I have been using it for foxing duty over recent weeks with 90gr HPs (absolutely blinding). I think the .270 is a cracking calibre, and I am very glad that I ignored the uniformed bleating about filling-loosening recoil etc.

robbo'srifle said:
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts,

It would be used for stags in scotland and an odd trip over seas for a go at some boar.

Thanks Guys

I brought a 270 for the very same reasons that you have, ignore the people that say it will brake your shoulder ect they are just wimps :eek: :lol: :lol: ……………………………………..Joking aside with a moddy they are a pussy cat to shoot and even without they are fine. Ballisticily you will need a wildcat or a magnum cartridge to find anything that shoots any flatter.

I have no complaints, Stag 1933 uses one, so say no more that would be enough for me. :D

Best rgds

Tahr

robbo'srifle said:
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts,

It would be used for stags in scotland and an odd trip over seas for a go at some boar.

Thanks Guys

I brought a 270 for the very same reasons that you have, ignore the people that say it will brake your shoulder ect they are just wimps :eek: :lol: :lol: ……………………………………..Joking aside with a moddy they are a pussy cat to shoot and even without they are fine. Ballisticily you will need a wildcat or a magnum cartridge to find anything that shoots any flatter.

I have no complaints, Stag 1933 uses one, so say no more that would be enough for me. :D

Best rgds

Tahr

I can't see how anyone can say it has harsh recoil. At the end of the day it's a necked down 30-06 with generally much lighter bullets. It has much less recoil than either of my .308s.
Perhaps any bad press on the .270 came from the forestry years ago when the standard issue was the old BSA Monarchs and Majestics. If this was your first experience of fullbore shooting, a 270 calibred BSA might have been a rude awakening.
.270 win ? It's a pussycat to shoot !

I shoot a Sako 85 in 270 with a T8 mod and I love it great callibre does anything you want it to. Great stopping power!!
Karl

I had to chip in here too.

The .270 is a brilliant cartridge and it also baffles me when people talk about the harsh recoil etc. Think they need to man up a bit.

I did have a BSA Monarch in .270 for a short while as a restoration project which never happened and yes if you had this as your go to rifle it would rattle you a bit to say the least. My brother and I both remarked as Anson does in his post that the reputation for harshness may have come from using this particular rifle as they were FC issue. I can just envisage an old weather battered Jock hill stalker handing his BSA to a Sasonack from south of the border and chuckling to himself for the impending ****ing ell comment to come back.

Other than that I suspect comments come from people who talk rubbish from listening to others and not actually from direct experience.

As has been said aswell, if used with a mod on (I nowadays don't use a rifle without one unless abroad) it's like shooting your rimfire (figuratively).

For a one gun rifle in the UK it is difficult to improve on - good choice.

Hi
A mate of mine has an old Sako .270 with a T8 on that is a really sweet rifle to use.
Jon2 hows that .25-06 going?
cheers
Dickie

Hi Dickie

Nice to hear from you.

Yes the Accumark is superb. Just sent off for a replacement B&C stock for it with 14.5" LOP.

I haven't had time to work up a load for it yet but that is a project for this summer to get it set up for the winter period for all those pesky fallow.

When I do get to dial it in I will update you with full report.

Thread un hijacked :D

Thanks for the replys guys, being a well put together yorkshire man i don't think recoil will be a issue, :lol:

But what i was going to ask is, with it being a second hand rifle are they a hard caliber to shoot the barrel out?

Also has anyone got a good load for me to make up for it?

:D Im a big fan of the 270 mines a tikka 695 and im happy to shoot out to 350+yards very flat and it loves the privi rounds you can't go wrong
amberdog

robbo'srifle said:
Hi guys,

What are your thoughts, i was in my local gun shop on saturday to buy some bullet heads for my 243. Anyways i bought my bits and bobs and went for a wander round as you do, and i came across this remmi 700 lh in 270 in the second hand rack . It was in excellent condition almost like new it had a leopould scope and a T8 fitted all for £600.
I have been on the look out for another rifle for a while, this one fits the bill being left handed, synthetic stocked and moderated. It would be used for stags in scotland and an odd trip over seas for a go at some boar.
I've put a deposit on the rifle to hold it while i get my varation sorted, i just wanted your oppinions and advice and experiances with this rifle and caliber.

Thanks Guys

Don't listen to a word this lot has to say Robbo. The .270 is a pig to shoot. I suggest you get your deposit back and forget all about it. In fact, seeing as we left hookers have to stick together, you might want to give me the details of the shop and a description of where the rifle is on the rack, just so I can give them an earful about trying to offload such rubbish on you ;)

Novice

My first ever rifle was a BSA Monarch in 270.
That old rifle went everywhere including the US and Canada and never let me or others down. Being a light gun, it was a little snappy to shoot, but that's what taught me to mount and shoot a rifle properly. The addition of a moderator softened its

The stock got bettered by bouncing around in the back of the old ladie, the chequering got worn away and the barrel lost it's blacking. However it never lost it's accuracy and my hand still instinctively reached for it before all my newer and more expensive guns.

That gun is still going strong and is currently being used by a new novice. I'll always have a fondness for the 270 calibre and BSA Monarchs.

scotsgun said:
The stock got bettered by bouncing around in the back of the old ladie

The mind boggles - how did you persuade the old lady to do that! :eek: :lol: :lol:

I have recently bought a lovely Parker Hale Safari in .270, despite many people telling me how terrible they were to shoot, with near terminal recoil. I'm not having any problems with it - moderated, it's neither loud nor fierce. It is also very accurate and, zeroed 1.5" high at 100 yds, it's never more than 1.5" high or low out to 250+ yds.

If you're at tight arse it's an excellent calibre choice, as there are tons of really nice under worked .270 mouldering away at the back of English RFD's gunracks, as it seems to be a calibre that is only really appreciated north of the border

Adam.

Hi guys,

I picked up the rifle on thursday, i made some handloads up thurs night and test fired them last night.
Recoil!! what recoil? :D its a pussy cat to shoot with or without the moderator on.
The trigger is excellent, breaks like glass, nice and crisp.
I bought a box of remmy 130 grain core locks to try, my hand loads where 130 grain nosler bt driven by N160.
She didn't like the remmy core locks very much, threw a 2.5 to 3'' group at 100 yards?
The hand loads were a different kettle of fish, i started at 50 grains of n160 and worked up to 55 grains in 0.5 increments.

51 grains shot the best group at around 1''. I'm going to make up another batch of 51 grains to try just to check there was no operator error on my part and do a bit of tweaking bullet seating depth ect.

The other components are RWS brass and cci lr primers.

On the whole i'm very happy with the new toy :), but i may change the scope, its got quite a thick recticle, i prefair a finer one just my prefrence though.

regards

Pete

Adamant
I used to have a parker-hale light weight that i use for shooting foxes the only reason i got rid of it was that we used to get pulled by the police about once a month because of some one complaing about the noise of shooting at night.
this was before we all were able to get moddies . so i bought a .243 and hated it and now use .308 but still like the . 270 and would have another if i had space for one.

Back