Pregnant Women Warned Not To Eat Venison (Lead Posioning Risk.) B******!

Buckbones

This was in the Guardian paper today. Can not believe my eyes.

Time to get out the old rubber bullets.
Cheers Andrew

Pregnant women and children have been warned against eating gamesuch as pheasant, deer and grouse killed with lead shot because it could pose a serious risk to their health.

In an official statement released on Monday, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) said that everyone who ate lead-shot game regularly should cut down on it because it was potentially toxic.
Dr Alison Gleadle, the agency's director of food safety, said that advice was "especially important" for pregnant women, toddlers, children and women trying for a baby as exposure "can harm the developing brain and nervous system".
The FSA said people who regularly ate small wild game birds shot with lead, such as grouse, pheasant, duck and partridge, faced significant exposure risks if they ate more than 100g (3.5oz) a week. Cooking those game birds in acidic liquids such as wine, vinegar or tomato juice made lead dissolve, and easier for humans to absorb.
Much larger animals, such as deer, would have lower concentrations of lead. The agency said eating one 120g portion a week was "less of a concern for adults". Most game sold in supermarkets was safe to eat, it stressed, as it was more likely to have been farmed and safely killed.
The release of the FSA's advice follows a row last week after its expectedpublication last Wednesday was delayed following disputes in its expert advising panel, the lead ammunition group, over the terms and extent of the warning.
The Wildfowl and Wetland Trust (WWT) has been at the forefront of campaigns against lead shot. Its analysis showed lead shot was to blame for poisoning thousands of waterbirds.
It alleges that up to 70% of duck in the UK has been shot using lead, in breach of a ban in 1999, and has published reports on the growing amount of scientific and medical evidence about the risk of eating lead-shot game.
The British Association of Conservation and Shooting (BASC), whose director, John Swift, chaired the lead ammunition panel, had insisted that the agency publish a risk assessment with its formal warning.
Christopher Graffius, head of communications for the BASC, said the risks of eating lead-shot game "should not be exaggerated" and insisted it posed a minimal risk to consumers. He said that "pound for pound", chocolate had more lead in it than game.
"There is lead in all foodstuffs and we should see the purported risk of lead in game meat in a sensible perspective," Graffius said. "There is no evidence of harm to those of us who eat game less than once every week. Compared with other meats wild game is low in fats and entirely natural, representing a healthy option to intensively reared products."
Dr Deborah Pain, director of conservation at the WWT and a member of the lead ammunition panel, said she hoped the FSA's advice would accelerate action against the use of all lead shot.
"Lead is toxic and concerns for human health add to the already strong argument for replacing lead with non-toxic shot, which has long been available, for all shooting. We were pleased to see that the FSA had published their human health advice," she said.

There was a topic a few years ago from accurate reloading forum, where I think a German study looked into it. If you think about it, a polymer BT comes out a shed load lighter than it goes in, and the study x-ray'd the carcass and it was dotted with fragments!

On another note, time to stop visiting the WWT centre near me!

Last edited:
So,
are they going to force the water companies to replace all the lead piping for drinking water still in use, I think not.

Never mind, the average Guardian reader is probably some bean munching veggie anyway. As for small children eating game, some hopes, this sort of twaddle was obviously written by someone who delegated their child raising to a nanny and are clueless about what toddlers will really choose to eat .atb Tim

This was in the Guardian paper today. Can not believe my eyes.

Time to get out the old rubber bullets.
Cheers Andrew

Pregnant women and children have been warned against eating gamesuch as pheasant, deer and grouse killed with lead shot because it could pose a serious risk to their health.

In an official statement released on Monday, the Food Standards Agency (FSA) said that everyone who ate lead-shot game regularly should cut down on it because it was potentially toxic.
Dr Alison Gleadle, the agency's director of food safety, said that advice was "especially important" for pregnant women, toddlers, children and women trying for a baby as exposure "can harm the developing brain and nervous system".
The FSA said people who regularly ate small wild game birds shot with lead, such as grouse, pheasant, duck and partridge, faced significant exposure risks if they ate more than 100g (3.5oz) a week. Cooking those game birds in acidic liquids such as wine, vinegar or tomato juice made lead dissolve, and easier for humans to absorb.
Much larger animals, such as deer, would have lower concentrations of lead. The agency said eating one 120g portion a week was "less of a concern for adults". Most game sold in supermarkets was safe to eat, it stressed, as it was more likely to have been farmed and safely killed.
The release of the FSA's advice follows a row last week after its expectedpublication last Wednesday was delayed following disputes in its expert advising panel, the lead ammunition group, over the terms and extent of the warning.
The Wildfowl and Wetland Trust (WWT) has been at the forefront of campaigns against lead shot. Its analysis showed lead shot was to blame for poisoning thousands of waterbirds.
It alleges that up to 70% of duck in the UK has been shot using lead, in breach of a ban in 1999, and has published reports on the growing amount of scientific and medical evidence about the risk of eating lead-shot game.
The British Association of Conservation and Shooting (BASC), whose director, John Swift, chaired the lead ammunition panel, had insisted that the agency publish a risk assessment with its formal warning.
Christopher Graffius, head of communications for the BASC, said the risks of eating lead-shot game "should not be exaggerated" and insisted it posed a minimal risk to consumers. He said that "pound for pound", chocolate had more lead in it than game.
"There is lead in all foodstuffs and we should see the purported risk of lead in game meat in a sensible perspective," Graffius said. "There is no evidence of harm to those of us who eat game less than once every week. Compared with other meats wild game is low in fats and entirely natural, representing a healthy option to intensively reared products."
Dr Deborah Pain, director of conservation at the WWT and a member of the lead ammunition panel, said she hoped the FSA's advice would accelerate action against the use of all lead shot.
"Lead is toxic and concerns for human health add to the already strong argument for replacing lead with non-toxic shot, which has long been available, for all shooting. We were pleased to see that the FSA had published their human health advice," she said.

What a load of crap a huge percentage of houses in the uk all have lead water pipes ,or have we forgot conveniently about that, because the game shooting season has started in the uk .

This country is so far up its own arse it cannot breath right, for over educated fools doing research into things that are not required ,I'm really surprised the British people have survived so long .

Reports suggest that fluoride in our drinking water suppresses the brain, they don't seem to be publishing Warnings or articles on that!!

Guardian-readers are stupid people who go around telling us all how intelligent they are.

I doubt if all that many of them even eat shot game or have the wit to determine the safety of it.

If you don't want too much lead in your diet, don't eat the lead. It's not rude to leave it at the side of your plate.

I have been eating lead shot game since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Nothing wrong with me (althought the wife would probably disagree :D ). Just seems to be another anti-slur campaign in time for the new shooting season! :cuckoo:

Please can somebody point me at one shread of evidence that proves that eating shot game is harmful.
That X ray thing is bull... sure there is going to be particles of lead and copper within a carcass. Believed it or not I don't tend to eat any bruised tissue near the shot sight. As for shotgun shot stuff, if by chance a piece of shot is eaten I'm 99% certain comes out the other end pretty much undigested.

Sadly this anti lead campaign seems to be gaining impetus. I sincerely hope that as much effort is going into the fight against it as there is for it. If, and I fear it's a small if, the anti lead brigade get their way, the results for shooters of all persuasions will be dire.

They have been targeting lead for some time now I'm afraid as it seems like a fairly easy way to restrict, ban, severely limit shooting or just plain make themselves a pain to those who shoot. I think this is one reason why we need to fight against any attempt to ban lead bullets for stalking - our position should be that they need to prove a risk and not just play the "oh but new EU regulations say..." or "some research, funded by the antis, says..." Until then we don't move an inch.

I believe that some research, probably funded by the NRA, in the USA indicated that those who shot and ate their own meat actually had a lower level of lead in their blood than the average population. It is also the case that it is soluble lead which poses the risk and not the large lumps of metallic lead which we favour for shot and bullets.

my grandma has eaten game all of her life, all of it shot with lead shot. She is now 87 and it has done her no harm and didn't affect her 3 children either.
Load of crap to me

one for the conspiracy theorists

with the public sale of game, venison and other wild (shot) meat on sale increasing, if you wanted to ban the sport that provides the meat you could start by discrediting the meat and destroying the outlet market

Back