"Overkill"?

Shooting the deer then stabbing it a lot? Can you really get more dead than dead when it comes to shooting something?

I might be wrong but I think it originated in military speak evolved during the cold war era.

And... I believe it was meant to refer to multiple nuclear strikes on the same target, much in excess of the destructive force calculated as actually necessary to obliterate that target.

Since, I've never obliterated anything while shooting I suspect the term does not and really cannot apply to stalking. Does that help?

Has anyone figured out what "Overkill" is yet?............ If we could get it sorted, we might direct some of it out where it's needed!:rolleyes:

When the projectiles weight exceeds 10% of that of the intended quarries over all body weight? I'm pretty sure that would fit the bill of "overkill" but I'm open to the notion that I'm wrong. Perhaps my intinial comment would be better suited to "use enough gun"?

have a look on youtube seach over kill and a whole host of us films will come up with big calibres and small quarry may give you a idea

have a look on youtube seach over kill and a whole host of us films will come up with big calibres and small quarry may give you a idea

Shooting pigeons with a 180gn bullet from a .308 could be classed as a bit of 'Overkill' maybe but then again :confused:

When the projectiles weight exceeds 10% of that of the intended quarries over all body weight? I'm pretty sure that would fit the bill of "overkill" but I'm open to the notion that I'm wrong. Perhaps my intinial comment would be better suited to "use enough gun"?

So If I chuck a half brick at a rabbit and hit it, that is overkill? ;)

Using a method which results in greater damage than is deemed optimal given the intended purpose of the shot, or achieves an optimal level of damage at excessive cost, or exposes bystanders and the general public to more risk than is justified by the benefit retuerned from the shot.

Hence muntjac with a .458 is effective, but probably with too much meat loss; rook with a .222 is effective but probably too expensive; and roe with a .30-06 is effective, but in many places, there is too much risk that a bad shot or a through-and-through will hit someone.

Song by Lemmy of the Jack Daniels fame oh and lead singer in Motorhead

God bless Lemmy and Motorhead. I miss them. Haven't been able to get to their yearly November gig at the Hammersmith Appollo for a couple of years now. It's a shame, as it would have been interesting to find out how they sound if you're wearing electronic ear defenders. I think that Motorhead is just as damaging to one's hearing as shooting.

So If I chuck a half brick at a rabbit and hit it, that is overkill? ;)

Hmmm?? Well that throws a spanner in the works... Half a brick seems reasonable force, you wouldn't chuck a pebble at a rabbit that would just tickle it, it would indeed be half a brick. I will have to retract my version of overkill, it's blatently incorrect.

And I thought it was an easy question

I was doing some long range rabbiting, and caught sight of a rat in the dung pile about halfway to the rabbits, so took the rat at 212yds with a 175grain .308. I think maybe that was 'overkill' as it just seemed to vaporise into a red mist, and all I could find later on was a leg !

Overkill is doing a land check for shotgun. It is also asking for experience to be shown for a new .243 when you have owned and used a .223 for ten years. It is also the refusal to condition with AOLQ and asking for good reason for additional conditions e.g. Boar or fox etc when it is not required for a rifle already held for a primary purpose e.g. Deer. The only overkill that exists is within police circles which wastes everyones time and have little to do with public safety.

Last edited:
Overkill is doing a land check for shotgun. It is also asking for experience to be shown for a new .243 when you have owned and used a .223 for ten years. It is also the refusal to condition with AOLQ and asking for good reason for additional conditions e.g. Boar or fox etc when it is not required for a rifle already held for a primary purpose e.g. Deer. The only overkill that exists is within police circles which wastes everyones time and have little to do with public safety.
A very thoughtful & considered reply!

Back