First kill for £60 270

tusker

View attachment 20256
Just back from Scotland stalking stags on the rut.Bought this P.H. 270 for £60 put a Timny trigger in it (£30) Barska huntmaster 3-9x50 scope £65. Took this stag at 150 yards after a very long wet and filthy stalk. Not the best head but the effert I put in to getting him gave me great pleasure and the fact that all my cheap kit actually performed in very bad weather pleases me greatly.
Tusker:)

well done, there are some cracking older rifles about that end up getting scrapped shame really but they still do the job as said many a time its the person behind the rifle not the rifle

there was a chap with a un moderated .243 on my recent shooting test and i have to say we all had a smile on our faces when he fired away you forget how load they can be even whorse when your in a valley ,happy hunting

Nice one mate,its not the rifle,its the bloke behind it ,as pboro shot said!! plenty of keepers and stalkers out there with old cz's etc,who would hammer the brand new 3 grand combo guys handsdown.I started with a parker hale 1100 lightweight in 308w in the eighties,bought for about £250 at the time and a pecar 6x42 for around the same price,loved it and shot loads of deer with it,used israeli samson 308w softpoints,quick handling and accurate rifle ,samson rounds running around £7 for 20 rounds at the time.Things have changed and not for the better pricewise.

not hard to kit yourself out with servicable kit on the cheap. lots of good PH CZ BSA on the market sub 250 and often with mounts.

I love it! A good rifle put to use! Pat yourself on the back, Amigo. Nice job.~Muir

(My $120 Parker Hale 308 Norma Magnum will be taking Elk this fall)

View attachment 20256
Just back from Scotland stalking stags on the rut.Bought this P.H. 270 for £60 put a Timny trigger in it (£30) Barska huntmaster 3-9x50 scope £65. Took this stag at 150 yards after a very long wet and filthy stalk. Not the best head but the effert I put in to getting him gave me great pleasure and the fact that all my cheap kit actually performed in very bad weather pleases me greatly.
Tusker:)

You are a champ,I am a great fan of being able to use what is in your hand at the time and not having to have a Sako or Blaser equipped with some topline scope.
I am a fan of PH`s too,a great rifle brand that seems to be scorned by far too many. I own two,both shoot and hit hard and i`m again looking for an PH action to build another rifle.
A good hunter is not limited by what he has in his hands at the time,well done Sir!

Tusker I share the feeling , I've got a batty old ruger that I bought for 160 quid with an Edgar bros scope on it and I've gradually got it looking presentable . I love my tikka but the ruger brings a smile every time . Nice one

Many thanks for all your kind replies. It was a filthy day and the last 200 yrds I did on my belly very slowly (took 40 minutes) as lots of hinds were with him. At one point I was up to my knees in a river. I was worried that the cheap scope may have misted up but it was very clear after a quike wipe. Took the shot at approx 150 yrds. One interesting thing happened. The shot was a little high but there was a good exit however pthe bullet split and part of it went up his neck and smashed his jaw . I was very worried that the stalker was thinking that i was taking risky shots but he said he saw the shot hit.Very confusing for a moment.
Tusker.

Nice one - I'm a big fan of the cheap rigs. While they might show some nicks and scratches, very often they have been handled a lot more than they have been shot, so have clean bores. My last two sub-£150 Parker Hales have both shot into an inch with factory ammo.

Congratulations indeed.

That old Safari had probably done it all before too :).

Your scope choice would not be mine but hey it's your rifle :D but then I have a small selection of older scopes to choose from. Would probably have been a no brand name 6x42 for me, the one that Actionoptics just serviced and replaced a small pin in. Bought it back in about 87 to go on the Zkk 601.

Back