300 or 308

The 300 wm is an extremely popular round in western Canada , with heavier premium bullets it works well on the larger species of big game up close or at extended range.I've used this caliber off and on over the years and have alot of respect for its capability.That being said I have used the 30-06 and 308 on moose ( also with premium bullets) and both rounds work well within their range limitations which,according to most is about 2000 fpe on target. The longest shot I've ever taken on a moose or an elk for that matter was at most 175 yrds ( 900 lbs plus bull moose ) with a 30-06 loaded with a 180 gr nosler partition at just over 2600 fps at the muzzle.One shot behind the shoulder , he went about 30 to 40 yrds , which they seem to do no matter what you shoot them with and that was it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is , if you're coming here to hunt and you own an 06 or a 308 that you shoot well with good bullets, bring it, as most game here is taken at ranges where the 300wm's long range advantage isn't really needed. good hunting ab

The 300 wm is an extremely popular round in western Canada , with heavier premium bullets it works well on the larger species of big game up close or at extended range.I've used this caliber off and on over the years and have alot of respect for its capability.That being said I have used the 30-06 and 308 on moose ( also with premium bullets) and both rounds work well within their range limitations which,according to most is about 2000 fpe on target. The longest shot I've ever taken on a moose or an elk for that matter was at most 175 yrds ( 900 lbs plus bull moose ) with a 30-06 loaded with a 180 gr nosler partition at just over 2600 fps at the muzzle.One shot behind the shoulder , he went about 30 to 40 yrds , which they seem to do no matter what you shoot them with and that was it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is , if you're coming here to hunt and you own an 06 or a 308 that you shoot well with good bullets, bring it, as most game here is taken at ranges where the 300wm's long range advantage isn't really needed. good hunting ab
What bullets would you recommend thanx.

Hi PAULT , For a mixed hunt ie; moose, elk, caribou, inland grizzly and black bear, I've used mostly 180 nosler partitions in the 300 wm. I've shot 2 moose and 1 large black bear with 200 gr partitions , they worked well , but might be a little heavy for all around use , all 3 shots were through and through ,with one moose the bullet broke the off-side shoulder.The 180's all worked great on moose & elk with the added bonus of not being overly destructive on Mule & White-Tailed deer as they don't blow up at higher velocities like some of the less robust bullets do.I haven't used any of the Barnes bullets in the 300, but I have a few friends who have(180 tsx) and they all say they work really well.So, outside of coastal brown bears I'd go with 180 partition,tsx,swift A-frame or similiarly tough bullet in the 300.

In the 06 a 180 gr bullet like a partition or a tsx works well on everything I've shot. The 165 gr bullets are popular here too, I've never shot anything bigger than deer with them myself, but have seen a few moose and elk taken cleanly by others using them.Again I'd use the 180's in the 06, mostly because I've used them alot and they've never failed.

In the 308 I've used the nosler accu-bond 180's on elk and they seem to work just as well as anything I've ever used and group better in my rifle than the partitions.To be honest with you , any tough 180 gr bullet in all 3 will cleanly take any game we have( with the usual exception of coastal brown bear)as long as you do your part

Hope this helps, good hunting ab

Last edited:
By the way PAULT, where in Canada are you planning to hunt and what species? If you're interested, I do know some very reputable outfitters in B.C. and Alberta.

Alberta Boy

Back