Small game hygiene course?

otisthedog

With the large game hygiene certification included in my DSC1, just wondered if it is possible to do a small game one as an add-on. Can't seem to find a straightforward answer on the net.
Looks like you can do a one day course that covers both, but I've already done one part. Any ideas if it's possible and if so who to contact?
Thanks

I'm fairly certain the only option is the one day Lantra Lev2 Wild Game Meat Hygiene, which covers both large and small game, I did it about 4 years ago

I may be wrong here but does the large game hygine not cover the small game, so if u have got large game u don't need ur small game.
That was my understanding but may well be wrong? I'm sure some off folk who provide dsc training could tell u.

Small game is a seperate course albeit shorter as is only additional module to that covered by large game.........

Keep us posted on your findings please gents, I've done DSC1 but mainly go out rabbiting with my hawks and never found out if a dispatch by a Hawk is considered to be ok and on those grounds only kept the bunnies for myself as often the tallons can create puncture's etc after dispatch trying to remove the Hawk.

Cheers
Joe

Will do Joe. Have heard nothing back from my first email to BASC so just sent another to a different contact I found for them.

look on the ngo website, allan barrell is running a course at abbots bromely on thursday for small hygiene course £100 + vat for the day:thumb:

I may be wrong here but does the large game hygine not cover the small game, so if u have got large game u don't need ur small game.
That was my understanding but may well be wrong? I'm sure some off folk who provide dsc training could tell u.
My EHO said that as i was a trained hunter he said in addition to the venison i could sell rabbits if i decided to go down that road, i just needed to provide another HACCAP plan.
Cheers
Richard

I would like to do the wild game meat hygene course... scotland or northern england, Ive tried NGO and BASC but their not doing any at present.

I would like to do the wild game meat hygene course... scotland or northern england, Ive tried NGO and BASC but their not doing any at present.

Try SGA they did one a bit back but think it was only for members try some of the colleges pretty sure Elmwood did one in you case might be worth trying the borders college at Galashiels

Dear All

why not use the course finder on the lantra website

Lantra Awards | Level 2 Award in Wild Game Meat Hygiene

Just right of the "where can I do the course" tab, there is Map View which shows who provides the course.

Regards RoeHunter

Yes that would do but thats for level two which covers large and small game it also takes 26 hours of study time no idea what the cost is imagine it will be considerable.

Op has already got his large game handling so only needs his small game handling which is a short one day course costing around £100 or less.

The small game course is quite simple, unlike the large game you are not opening up birds no lymph nodes to identify etc, its just being able to look at a shot bird and tell if its healthy or not by appearance, likely diseases to watch out for and how to handle birds after they have been shot so that they enter the food chain in the best possible condition.

Any shoot that sells their birds must by law have one person with a small game certificate on hand, who can examine the birds if they are to be sold.

Back