Mauser pricing outrage (and prob. Blaser/Sauer too)

MauserM03

So I am thinking of getting another barrel for my M03, only to be told that there has been another recent price rise and the manufacturer's RRP is now £ 997 !!!

A thousand pounds for a standard barrel ? Seriously ? The retailer did offer me a discount as a repeat customer but that is still incredible.

By way of contrast, I found this ST review from 2007: http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/rifles/106955/Mauser_M03_stalking_rifle.html

Note the prices; spare barrel is £376. That is a 265% increase over 5 years, or over 50% a year. Not even Rolex watches (about 15-20% a year for the sports models) or school fees can match that (11% average, if you're interested) for price inflation.

Interestingly, it is the barrels in particular that have shot up; a magazine has gone from £89 to £125. A big increase, sure, but almost acceptable.

Pricing at this level to my mind rather defeats the object of the switch-barrel system.

Its always amazed me the costs of component parts for rifles, especially the ones like you say that are modular! New bold for a sauer, £700, new barrel, about the same now, synthetic stock 500-600+, god only knows what a new wooden stock for a 202 would be........ I reckon a good way to make money would be to buy the rifles and break them and sell off parts, I bet if you added all the individual costs up it would be well over the cost of a whole rifle set up. Rediculous!

So I am thinking of getting another barrel for my M03, only to be told that there has been another recent price rise and the manufacturer's RRP is now £ 997 !!!

A thousand pounds for a standard barrel ? Seriously ? The retailer did offer me a discount as a repeat customer but that is still incredible.

By way of contrast, I found this ST review from 2007: http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/rifles/106955/Mauser_M03_stalking_rifle.html

Note the prices; spare barrel is £376. That is a 265% increase over 5 years, or over 50% a year. Not even Rolex watches (about 15-20% a year for the sports models) or school fees can match that (11% average, if you're interested) for price inflation.

Interestingly, it is the barrels in particular that have shot up; a magazine has gone from £89 to £125. A big increase, sure, but almost acceptable.

Pricing at this level to my mind rather defeats the object of the switch-barrel system.

Yep... I have to agree.. don't know if there have been any price hikes but I put in for a variation for a 300WM barrel for my Blaser R8 thinking it would be more sensible than having 2 rifles but the cost of the barrel and bolt head is approaching £1,500 (plus any recent price hikes!) That's not that far from the price I paid for the R8 in the first place!

Sounds like the same business model as Gillette razors and inkjet printers. They may be subsidising the cost of the initial purchase (in this case the stock, action and one barrel), after which you're forced to purchase the modular part at a premium price, which in this case is the barrel, taking the place of the razor blade or ink cartridge. In the end, you may end up paying more for barrels than you did on the initial rifle.

I was recently enquiring about a blaser to chop in my 202 for with the intention of having .308 and .375 barrels for it, prices I was quoted were :
Basic R8 rifle costs £2800,
375 barrel £860,
bolt head for .375 £190,
Mag for .375 £60
grand total £3910

I guess its still 2 rifles for less than twice the price, but still made me whince just a tad!

I don't 'get' why you'd want a switch barrel system. If I had a single action and 3 barrels if the action needed servicing etc then you are without a gun. With three guns you just take another one out. Equally if you go out with a friend they can use another gun.

Doesn't even look like you save any money!

As a main dealer I can assure you that a standard profile M03 barrel is nowhere near £1000, either they've quoted you for a semi weight or special barrel or their having you over. Please feel free to give me a call.

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range

If folks are daft enough to pay it ................................................................... they will charge it.

Back