shooting in a new rifle

jodi

Today I tried to zero in my new rifle. I eventually bought a sako 85 S/S, it's a cracking gun and I am sure there is nothing wrong with it. As it was new I went though the procedure of firing 1 then cleaning, I put 2 wet patch's thru using wipeout and then dry patchs until clean, I done this for the first 10 shots, and then shot 3 shot groups and cleaned again, giving plenty of time for the barrel to cool down. The first shot always seems to be out after cleaning, this happened with 3 different typyes of bullets winchester, federal and remington. All shots within 1 1/2" at 100 yards , some just under 1" I'm sure that I am not setting up right as the 2nd and 3rd shots were touching or at least very close. I don't know if my set up was solid enough but it is strange that the majority of bingers were the first shot after cleaning. I have only started shooting so I guess my technique is not so good

Any advice on how to improve on my grouping would be appreciated.

Maybe it just needs a fouling shot. My hmr always puts the first shot high and right after a clean, it shoots well after that.

Ignore the first round after cleaning simples :lol:. After cleaning my own I always fire a round off before zeroing or using for any other purpose.

Ignore the first round after cleaning simples :lol:. After cleaning my own I always fire a round off before zeroing or using for any other purpose.

+1

Ive found that just about all of these brushless cleaning systems cause your first 1 or 2 shots after cleaning to be slightly out, its unlikely to be you.

Or get a rifle that shoots the second shot in the same place as the first one. Some time ago, I fired a fouling shot with the 260 Rem and then a second shot just opened up the hole a fraction. More seriously, it's often not easy or practical for town dwellers like me to fire a fouling shot. Regards JCS

Should it not fire to POA on the first shot.I thought that all that breaking in the barrel mean't you didn't need to fire a fouling shot. As I said I am a beginner but I thought I could just go stalking after zeroing without having to fire a round or 2 before I started, is that normal? I'm sure it's my technique but I just need to sort it out.

Make sure you are not leaving any cleaning fluid in the chamber after cleaning - a small bottle brush wrapped in a patch carefully inserted into the chamber should get any wet cleaning fluid out
also try running a patch dampened with meths followed by dry patches through the bore prior to firing to make sure the bore has no oily residue from the cleaner left in it.
Any cleaning fluid left in the bore or chamber can cause a higher point of impact on the first round and can also create dangerous pressures.

i RAN ABOUT 4 OR 5 DRY PATCHSTHROUGH UNTIL THEY WERE CLEAN, BUT i MAY HAVE OVERDONE IT WITH THE WIPEOUT. MAYBE METHS WOULD BE THE ANSWER OR TRY USING A LITTLE BIT LESS WIPEOUT

Make sure you are not leaving any cleaning fluid in the chamber after cleaning - a small bottle brush wrapped in a patch carefully inserted into the chamber should get any wet cleaning fluid out
also try running a patch dampened with meths followed by dry patches through the bore prior to firing to make sure the bore has no oily residue from the cleaner left in it.
Any cleaning fluid left in the bore or chamber can cause a higher point of impact on the first round and can also create dangerous pressures.

Today I tried to zero in my new rifle. I eventually bought a sako 85 S/S, it's a cracking gun and I am sure there is nothing wrong with it. As it was new I went though the procedure of firing 1 then cleaning, I put 2 wet patch's thru using wipeout and then dry patchs until clean, I done this for the first 10 shots, and then shot 3 shot groups and cleaned again, giving plenty of time for the barrel to cool down. The first shot always seems to be out after cleaning, this happened with 3 different typyes of bullets winchester, federal and remington. All shots within 1 1/2" at 100 yards , some just under 1" I'm sure that I am not setting up right as the 2nd and 3rd shots were touching or at least very close. I don't know if my set up was solid enough but it is strange that the majority of bingers were the first shot after cleaning. I have only started shooting so I guess my technique is not so good

Any advice on how to improve on my grouping would be appreciated.

Quit cleaning it so much. Running in a barrel is pretty much nonsense.~Muir

+1
I would think you would be hard pressed to better this advice and just enjoy shooting it, sure give it an occasional clean now and then just don"t overdo it :thumb:

Muir - you generally seem to know what you're talking about.

Where has the current recieved wisdom about running in, shoot-one-and-clean etc etc come from?

I will clean the barrel when it losses accuracy and so far I have put a couple of hundred through and its still sub 1" at 100m with home loads. Only thing that is cleaned after each outing is the stock and the barrel.

never a truer word said.

i have only ever owned one new CF rifle ( IE: Gone to the shop and got it off the shelf) and i just got on with it, the lad that has it now says it still shoots less than 3/4" at 100 yards. what more do you want.

bob.

Jodi

Each rifle has its own character - and it is the barrel that particularly shapes that 'character'.

There are lots of ways to approach things and as you will have gathered from the replies to this thread and the earlier one on barrel break-in, there are a number of different views. As a stand for all that's wishy-washy and sitting firmly on the fence :D - if something works well for others and a view is based on real world experience then each view is equally valid.

I've outlined elsewhere what we do with rifles prior to delivery ( if the customer wishes ) (and what I do to Gary's rifle whether he agrees or not ;) ). Thus far, every Sako/Tikka so treated has got the message and behaved. The feel/feedback you get from the patched rod will indicate what the barrel is 'doing' - its very hard to specify X number of rounds will achieve Y result. Difficult to do remotely, but if you are feeling resistance to the first patch after firing - about 6-9" ahead of the chamber and for about 4-8", still settling down. You can also try putting a clean patch in and stop it short of the crown. In good light and with better eyes than mine are these days, you can get a feel for the bore surface and what/ where stuff is accumulating on it.

If it continues to be a bug- bear for you, book a range session next time you are up with JRoe. If I can sort it - pay the range time, if not it's free.

I used to be pretty anal about cleaning after every outing, now with 2 Stainless barrels, I'm lazy. I will allways clean the exterior to remove, rain, blood, dirt of any sort, but very rarely pull the barrel through.

When I give it a thourough clean, I will put a round down the barrel, just habbit, but I have never had any issues with any of the rifles I have bought new.

TJ

Back