Hornet Talk

Klenchblaize

While I'm certain my love of the 22 Hornet reveals more about my age and wiring than I need be reminded, the reality is that for all it's foibles and ballisticly superior competition I cannot foresee a day when I won't have one in my gun cabinet.

The intention of this thread is therefore simple:

Tell us about your love or hate for the 22HNT and anything between.

Cheers!

K

Love mine. Comes out more time than anything else. If you're out foxing and there's no foxes, go on the rabbits and vice versa. The only thing that come close to my admiration is my 17 Mach 2.
the hornet is cheap and easy to load, with all sorts of combinations to get performance without any compromise.
I have mine on a BSA, but alas ,the barrel has got more pits in it than a Welsh valley, but shoots really well. So, do I re barrell or change to a newer rifle. Decisions, decisions.

1st rifle out of the safe 9 out of 10 times, and never fails to put a smile on my face.

Neil. :)

Watched South African cull teams using them to take out springbok herds.

Astonishingly efficient (obviously all head shots).

Really appealing little rifle. Currently fighting the urge to get one - can't *really* justify it since I already have a .222.

Keep it coming please with pics and your best groups etc. Minimum 5 shot of course!

I won't suggest dwelling too much on favorite loads as we all know that assuming you can approach the following charge safely, a 35g V-Max atop 13 grains of Lil-Gun is difficult to beat. Interesting though that my Hornet will not shoot the Berger 35g turning V-Max 5p coin groups into ones a saucer won’t cover. :eek:

Cheers

K

Last edited:
I don't shoot 5 shot groups with hunting rifles anymore.~Muir
SmallestgroupVArminterRED.jpg

But this is three @100 yards. My reloading room is wallpapered with groups at the 1/2 MOA range.

Last edited:
Love mine, as said it never fails to put a smile on my face, I am really liking Sierra 45 gn sp under 10.3 gns of h110, lots better at long range than 35 gn vmax in my opinion, good old hornets.

Love mine, as said it never fails to put a smile on my face, I am really liking Sierra 45 gn sp under 10.3 gns of h110, lots better at long range than 35 gn vmax in my opinion, good old hornets.

My best loads come from putting the bullet on top of the powder. You Brits. I swear...:rolleyes:~Muir

(Sorry. Couldn't resist!:D)

I had one, a little Ruger No. 3.It was perfect for called coyotes(and 1 wolf) I stupidly traded it for something I had to have at the time,which for the life of me, I can't remember.Accurate, light and cheap to load , I still miss that rifle.

I've done that before.
I traded a beautiful custom Winchester Hi Wall single shot for some kind of pistol once. I don't even remember what it was. (I was a kid)

I have run the gamut of Hornets, from custom to factory and the best shooting one I have encountered is the CZ 527 American. My buddy has one, I have one, my son has one. We all shoot the same load, loaded identically, and get the same phenomenal accuracy.The first time I saw my buddy, Marine PMI of this Board, yank a salt-shaker sized ground squirrel out of an alfalfa patch at 200 yards with his CZ I was sold. I bought one for my son and it shot the same as PMI's. I sold off my Anschutz Hornet and bought a 527 which shoots as well as theirs. When my son is home he travels everywhere with that CZ and he shoots it with cold precision. We shoot a lot of prairiedogs. This was just shy of 190 yards, leaning on my Jeep.
AndysfirstprairiedogwithCZHornet-1.jpg

This is another day with his Mentor In all Things Important; a world class rifle shot himself. Note the presence of the CZ....~Muir

JohnandAndyIIRED.jpg

Wow , a High Wall , that would kill me. They've never been common up here and I've always had a thing for american single shots.
The 527 Americans are beautiful little rifles, my hunting partner has one in 22 Hornet that is really accurate.I like that they're a nice hunting wieght rig that carries so easily,you can pack one all day with no bother

good hunting ab

I have yet to see a CZ Hornet that won't shoot. A work mate bought one a while back and guess what? Shoots the same load that the three of us use, although he has since switched to a H-110 load he likes better. (He has 12 pound of the stuff to burn up)

The High Wall was a nice rifle but not overly accurate. A good load was an inch using the now, IIRC, obsolete 630 Winchester powder. I loved using it on New Mexico jack rabbits.~Muir

Last edited:
I've done that before.
I traded a beautiful custom Winchester Hi Wall single shot for some kind of pistol once. I don't even remember what it was. (I was a kid)

I have run the gamut of Hornets, from custom to factory and the best shooting one I have encountered is the CZ 527 American. My buddy has one, I have one, my son has one. We all shoot the same load, loaded identically, and get the same phenomenal accuracy.The first time I saw my buddy, Marine PMI of this Board, yank a salt-shaker sized ground squirrel out of an alfalfa patch at 200 yards with his CZ I was sold. I bought one for my son and it shot the same as PMI's. I sold off my Anschutz Hornet and bought a 527 which shoots as well as theirs. When my son is home he travels everywhere with that CZ and he shoots it with cold precision. We shoot a lot of prairiedogs. This was just shy of 190 yards, leaning on my Jeep.
AndysfirstprairiedogwithCZHornet-1.jpg

This is another day with his Mentor In all Things Important; a world class rifle shot himself. Note the presence of the CZ....~Muir

JohnandAndyIIRED.jpg

I still maintain that boy learned his hornet skills using his mentors BRNO ZKK on highland rabbits :D

John

Love mine. Comes out more time than anything else. If you're out foxing and there's no foxes, go on the rabbits and vice versa. The only thing that come close to my admiration is my 17 Mach 2.
the hornet is cheap and easy to load, with all sorts of combinations to get performance without any compromise.
I have mine on a BSA, but alas ,the barrel has got more pits in it than a Welsh valley, but shoots really well. So, do I re barrell or change to a newer rifle. Decisions, decisions.

Neil... If it ain't broke etc.

Remember the sniper from the "Band of Brothers" book. He got great results from his rifle but got fed up being picked up on rifle inspection as his barrel had a flaw or pit. I think he changed the rifle and couldn't get as good hits with the replacement.

+1 for the Hornet being a good calibre. Sensible bullet weight, accurate and quiet.

fraser

Ive got a space for a Hornet on my ticket. Funds are limated, but i have been offerd a Walther KKJ. What do you guys recon to therse rifles? Al

Back