Rutting Bison V Rutting Red Stag - care to bet on the outcome?

I believe in the Polish forests bison and deer do live in the same environment. I'v seen Bison in the Polish forests and they are mighty looking beasts

I believe in the Polish forests bison and deer do live in the same environment. I'v seen Bison in the Polish forests and they are mighty looking beasts

That is exactly right, we have the Kamponiski forrest about 40 minutes drive from the house in Warsaw and I have seen them on numerous occassions. They are awsome beasts.

I'v also spotted boar in the forests many years ago while i was driving about and some of them are big buggers too

Note to self #1: never get in the way of a rutting bison :eek:

Note to self #2: never try and nick a rhino's lunch :eek:

Just goes to show a rutting red stag is potentially very dangerous indeed !! if they are perpared to take on this size of adversary the man from bushy park recently should consider himself very very lucky !!!!!!!!!!!

Yep those bison are pretty big
I took this pic of the Cows from about 30yards away at the Biawasie Forest in Poland
the size of the Bulls made the cows look tiny , that was truly one stupid stag
0077262D-6ECE-4244-A0C4-1D64B0FAEC12-1801-000001B1A617AF09.jpg

Just goes to show a rutting red stag is potentially very dangerous indeed !! if they are perpared to take on this size of adversary the man from bushy park recently should consider himself very very lucky !!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed! The local papers here have been running articles on "problem" deer in Bushy and Richmond parks.
Apparently some feckwits are upset cos the normally pretty, friendly, photogenic bambis have taken to chasing dogs and putting shitfers up trees.
It's not the deer which are a problem, it's the disneyfied *rseholes who think that a rutting red has nothing better to do than put up with getting his photo taken at very close range who are the real problem.
Darwin awards are too good for most of them.

Having found myself facing three wild bison bulls, head on with only a muzzle loading rifle in my hands, at 25 feet, I can tell you that they are indeed big and formidable.~Muir

Hmm some interesting comments.

I have a mixed display of European Bison and Red deer. 3 mature bulls with 8 hinds (1-21yrs old) and a big 16 point stag. Why.. because it makes a very interesting display for members of the public. If a visitor is interested in a display they will then read information board and hopefully learn something about the animals. The more educated people are about a species the brighter the future is for that species.

My stag has in the past got a little pushy with the bison, they have always backed off. The enclosure is about 6 acres with 3 (soon to be 5) distinct areas of the enclosure that can be partitioned off if need be.

375 mag... What do you base your conclusion on ? A one off that has been sensationalised by the press ?

Bison and stags are both extremely dangerous animals in their own right, I know this first hand. It is entirely feasible to keep these animals in mixed displays without any problems.. if they are managed in the same way as any other DWA. That entails experienced, qualified, people overseeing their well being and adjusting husbandry accordingly.

There are several parks in the U.K that have mixed displays including bison and red deer, living together all year round.

Regards

N.F.W.M

I would agree we also have bison ,red deer fallow mouflon eu elk and wild horses in a park they all use the ground differently and largely ignore each other . Their interaction, ( or lack of it) is one of the main interest in keeping a mxd species enclosure . The exception is in the rut when stags flooded with testosterone can injure or kill one another or commit suicide on a bison.
The other pinch point is if we put in any supplementary winter feed we have to feed herd by herd and try to keep some distance separation so as to not have everything mob up and risk deer or horses getting gored

My reply was nothing to do with resent press releases

Merely common sense to those that know Red deer and their behavior at this time of year that red stag would have potentially attacked anything coming close to the hinds be that a Bison or yourself many a deer farmer has been killed during the rut !
I also wouldn't class 6 acres as a big field i guess your visitors learnt one thing and that's not to mix red stags with other animals !

Back