Who wears one of these?

12borejimbo

Im thinking about buying a deer stalking (Sherlock Holmes) hat. I think they look alright, however I am not sure if anyone who knows me will laugh and think, what a prat. Honestly, who wears one, is a normal cap any better?
Share your views.
HAT 3lg.jpg

go for it mate son bought me one back along really comfortable hat
wore it twice in the field allready this season dont worry about what people think just let your
shooting do the talking thats my motto regards pete .

I used to wear a sheepskin flying helmet style hat on the really cold winter days, my mates said i looked a right prat in it but when they found out how warm and comfortable it was to wear they bought them too.

Ian.

PS, i now where a waterproof/faux fur version mabe by Le chameau

Last edited:
I own a fur Davy Crockett-style hat with a racoon's tail on it, but I only wear that when it's very cold, and more to the point when I'm alone and not going to meet anyone... But it makes it all feel like more of an adventure!

Of course come the crowning of King Alex... oops I mean the voice of the down trodden masses of Scotland - I've got boot prints all over me I have - being realised through Independence you will be forced to refer to such head gear by it's proper title - a bonnet.

Beside which English won't be allowed to wear them anyway! Us Scots dont need anyone but William Wallace - you know, the English mercenary from Nesscliff near Oswestry...:D

On a more relevant note - they are referred to as bonnets. Like many things - form follows function - they are great on the hill and I wear them there by choice. Enjoy and stuff what anyone else thinks!;)

i have a russian made hat and its made from bear fur and i must say it is very warm indeed. Be nice to get some pants made out of it too

Worn one half my life, although I prefer a cap now. I don't like the shop bought type you get for £20.
I've always preferred the ones via Haggarts in Aberfeldy, I've had them as part of a suit but you can buy them direct from them

bbbbbb.png
Off the back of my Uncle raking through old photos and finding this one of me in my younger days I was given a nice tweed deerstalker for my 30th last year from him. When I'm out the hill or on the farm it's rarely off my head it certainly seems to be good in a lot of situations I would have worn half a dozen different hats in before.

I always have one in our estate tweed, I think that its important to keep traditions alive. I used to wear the type without ear flaps which seem to keep the shape a little better. We have our suits cleaned at least once a year and I always send my hats in to, they come back good as new. Glyn.

Oh yes!

313671_143404359090480_904498842_n.jpg

Of course come the crowning of King Alex... oops I mean the voice of the down trodden masses of Scotland - I've got boot prints all over me I have - being realised through Independence you will be forced to refer to such head gear by it's proper title - a bonnet.

Beside which English won't be allowed to wear them anyway! Us Scots dont need anyone but William Wallace - you know, the English mercenary from Nesscliff near Oswestry...:D

On a more relevant note - they are referred to as bonnets. Like many things - form follows function - they are great on the hill and I wear them there by choice. Enjoy and stuff what anyone else thinks!;)

Careful what you say, when King Eck takes his rightful place on the throne [well he said it was his rightful place]
talk like that could have you sent to the tower, oh Bu**er we won't have a tower, maybe the English will let us lease it for a few groats per annum.

William Wallace English? it has been said he was 7 foot tall , which true enough is a bit small for a real Scot is it not.

Mind you others have said he was a 5 foot four inch Australian.

On balance I think you maybe right and he probably was English.

But I would keep it under my bunnet if I was you.

Worn one for a long time and would agree wih Bambislayer on Haggart's just so much better a fit than shop bought ones, I might look stupid on a cold windy day with the lugs tied down, but who cares what the deer think ! :rofl:

They are totally impractical! When you lie down the peak at the back hits your back and forces the front peak over your eyes!

3555Z102.JPG
I wear a drop brim deer stalker over the winter months. I've been looking for a new one but there doesn't seem to be much choice. If anyone know of places you can get a good quality one and choice of tweed let me know!

I have a fore-and-aft cap without flaps and a deerstalker cap with flaps.
Both made by Olney, who indeed make both in a range of tweed.

I'm with BT - flaps essential - the bow on top isnt just so 'we' look pretty.

Hand on heart truth - John had one client say ' I've got to get me one of them hats... then next time I come stalking the deer won't be able to tell whether I'm coming or going'. No smirk, smile or chuckle followed, John remains convinced the guy was serious - proven by him turning up the net year with a natty number. He further confuses the deer - its a size too big, so there's a half second lag between the head turn and hat catching up!

Back