lamping with .270

Tomm

as above, my conditions allow it, i.e. open cert and aolq, iv got slots for .243 and .270 free at the mo after selling my other .243, i was thinking about getting just one rifle in .270 and spending all of my budget on one good quality rifle/scope combo. would the .270 be ok for foxes at night? i used my .243 for a while and thought it was ideal. would you get 2 rifles or just the one?

thanks
Tom

If you are lamping fox on some large tracts of open ground, well away from habitation, I would be happy to use .270, or indeed any other calibre on upwards.

No reason why not!!
If you reload you should be well away as in that Hornady make a 110 V-max that will work in the 270..
So when used for Foxing you will have good expansion and velocity..
If you planning to have just one rifle and decent scope , why not budget for a sound moderator to keep the noise levels down whilst out lamping and stalking!!
All the best.

PS......... Just realized your from Cornwall too!!!

tom my smallest cal is 270 i use mine for foxing a large free range chicken farm just like any other cal make sure you have a safe backstop or get up high and use the ground for your stop,just stick with it if thats what you need atb,wayne

It is my only centre fire rifle. I haven't had any complaints from any of the foxes I've shot in lamp light.

i have recently aquired a .270 and was going to use it lamping for a while instead of my 22/250 just to get a feel for it so to speak before stalking with it, will be using balistic tips for charlie though.

I have some 90 and 100gr hollow points loaded for my .270.
not used them on ginger targets but suspect its a dustpan and brush result

90gr....what velocity are they getting pumped out at? That's a very light bullet for a .270, what's the stabalisation like?Cheers

I know others will have different experiences but after owning several different calibres over the years and trying out different bullets in most of them, the only one I could not get to shoot well was a .270 Sako with 100grn bullets. 3'' groups at best. May have just been my rifle though...

90gr....what velocity are they getting pumped out at? That's a very light bullet for a .270, what's the stabalisation like?Cheers

I got the 90gn Sierra HPs up to just under 3,600fps using H380 out of my .270 - stabilisation was fine up to about 300 yards but not much beyond this. Terminal ballistics on foxes and smaller ground game was 'impressive' to say the least - rabbits turn into pink mist and fur confetti... Absolutely not recommended for deer (if you intend to eat them)! Not sure what they do for barrel life though - nothing good I suspect. The old Hornady 100gn spire point is another good bullet for a spot of fast and messy .270 varminting.

Adam.

I'd have thought the big problem would be losing sight of the target as a result of recoil at the critical moment. I already find it hard enough to find them in the dark when I can see exactly what happens. Add in the half second or so when you've lost it after the kick, and you may have no idea what happens at the other end.

Obviously not a problem if you're lamping with a partner.

I know others will have different experiences but after owning several different calibres over the years and trying out different bullets in most of them, the only one I could not get to shoot well was a .270 Sako with 100grn bullets. 3'' groups at best. May have just been my rifle though...

Norma 130gr would likely shoot a lot better bud.

Back