A good day

Hi All

Only a quick write up :D

Had a good days stalking on our own ground on Saturday. First light I was up at a new bit of ground in the Cotswolds after a Fallow buck but by first light the rutting activity had moved into the woods. I could hear four differnet bucks grunting around me but off my ground.

I stalked the woodland edge seeing about a six does in one little group and then a pricket on his own which wasn't a safe shot. I wanted to move to the next couple of fields so had to stalk around the deer in the mist. I then spotted a roe doe with a buck fawn which I left alone.
I headed down a hedge towards a little corner I spotted a Fallow buck the week before when I got closer there were about 8 does out feeding but no buck I got to within about 20 yards in the mist trying to see what was in the rough ground behind them. I then spotted a 6 point Roebuck with a doe in the taller cover. Not what I was after so I backed away and headed back.

I retraced my footsteps just in case a buck had popped out but no luck.

I got back to the scrubby field where I had parked the truck and was walking at normal pace having finished my stalk when Max started winding deer so I slowed down again and scanned spotting a Roebuck I had seen the week before in the long grass he was a mature animal with a very poor head but wasnt safe last week so I left him alone. He was in a better position but still wasn't safe so I had to get the other side of him stalking slowly only moving when he was feeding eventually I got to within 30 yards and dropped him in the grass a nice cull animal.

DSC01565.jpg

In the afternoon I met Andy on our estate in Hereford we were going to have a bash at a Fallow buck ourselves for a change.
After a coffee we headed off in different directions. Max and I headed towards a known rutting stand and as we approached with the wind in our faces and more to the point in Max's nose he indicated deer as soon as we headed through the gate towards the stand. We were a good 300 yards from the woods and you cant see the woodland edge until you are about 100 yards away where you peer over the edge of a steep bank.As I approached a buck starting grunting in the wood but I knew he was too far in for us to be able to see so after a quick check to make sure nothing else was out I headed back up the field towards my seat for the evening.

This is one of my favorite seats a nice and comfy woodend seat but Max has to jump a high barbed wire fence to get under the seat I chucked my coat on the fence but there was no need he didnt even touch it :rolleyes: I was slightly more awkward getting over :eek:

I chilled out in the seat with a coffee and a smoke and waited for dark Max was sat under the seat fixed on the woodland edge waiting for a deer to move.

I could hear two different bucks grunting in the wood but a long way off.

Right on last light a very light pricket walked out "perfect" he stood broadside at 160 yards so I dropped him with a chest shot with the 30.06 he wobbled for a few seconds as I covered him but then dropped, Nice one.
I looked down at Max he was still sat peering through the ladder of the highseat but a bit more excited.
I climbed down the seat and took my coat off and dropped it over the fence for Max again he never touched it (flash git) I looked to my right behind the seat and spotted a buck silhouetted against the dying light he about 100 yards away and walking towards us.
I dropped Max who was now the bucks side of the fence and closed the bolt "Quietly" on my Blaser :stir: the buck was walking straight towards us and I was tracking him now he had dropped below the skyline waiting for him to turn which he didnt, he just kept walking until he was level with us and about 10 yards away from Max, he then sussed something was up and bounced off but turning at about 80 yards to see what it was so I ruined his evening with a 150 grn Partition:eek:

DSC01575.jpg

Andy had a good stalk on a big buck he has seen a couple of years running but run out of light.

Cheers

Wayne

Nice couple of animals there Wayne. By the way I got your return call and message, it was nothing urgent so I'll give you a ring next evening or so. Thanks for getting back to me, and glad you enjoyed a succesfull evening.

A good day then mate.

Glad to see they are 'at it' over your way.

BC and I had a good eventfull morning Sunday. A few to go at in the near future.

Catch you soon mate

Jon

Ohh yeahh... Max... what would you do without the professional Max?

I know it, as you wrote: Coffee, Smoke, Relax...
:rofl:

Good one, keep going, nice write up and some memoriable hours on your great and very productive grounds!
Hope to see you soon again?

Michael:tiphat:

Nice one wayne. Very productive evening. I too am finding that they seem to be building the barbed wire fences higher than they used to:lol: It constantly amazes me when I see large sika stags 'cat jump' them without any run up, and clear the top strand by a foot or so. Some power!

All the best

Andy

Nice one wayne. Very productive evening. I too am finding that they seem to be building the barbed wire fences higher than they used to:lol: It constantly amazes me when I see large sika stags 'cat jump' them without any run up, and clear the top strand by a foot or so. Some power!

All the best

Andy

Hi Andy

Yes mate or my legs are shorter than they used to be.

I suppose if mine were hanging free like Max's when I was getting over barbed wire it might encourage me to jump higher:eek:

​Well done that man, nice to see you getting out and about and enjoying some success yourself considering the amount you put into the sport helping others.
Sounds like a perfect time, coffee, smoke and relax, thats my style.

And yes, I got the hint... Quietly,,but you got to remember, we are getting older, and I expect your hearing maybe going now...
:lol:

Well done Wayne nice animals,as John said its good to see you having a bit of time to yourself
andy

Last edited:
Well done Wayne and Andy, made me smile that write up and brought back some good memories of stalking with you guys , you are both welcome here anytime. I have some even steeper ground now !

Well done Wayne and Andy, made me smile that write up and brought back some good memories of stalking with you guys , you are both welcome here anytime. I have some even steeper ground now !

Good to hear form you mate, maybe come and see you for a hind steep ground no problem after the Alps mate:rolleyes::D

If not hopefully you will be up for a Munty.

Wayne

Back