7-08 120 gn loads

DCG

Thinking of trying out some 120 gn nossler balistics tip (hunting) bullets for the 7 -08, if any of you guys have any experience of this round for Roe, Fallow, Red hinds and or if you have any pet loads you are prepared to divulge I would be greatful
DCG

I have just found a couple of hundred of these in the back of my safe I forgot I had bought. I use the 140gr NBT's to great effect on everything from munty to big reds. And the little Ginger beggers :D

I am yet to use the 120gr but I recall buying them with the knowledge that varget and n140 will work well. I am using 43.5gr varget under the 140gr so will try the same load under the 120gr and see what I get.

Thinking of trying out some 120 gn nossler balistics tip (hunting) bullets for the 7 -08, if any of you guys have any experience of this round for Roe, Fallow, Red hinds and or if you have any pet loads you are prepared to divulge I would be greatful
DCG

Hi DCG

Yes, I have. I normally use 140grn BTs but wanted a lighter bullet so experimented with 120grn. I pretty much started from scratch in working up a load and actually ended up with exactly the same one as I use for the 140grn. What is also interesting is that they carry the same 100m zero and are interchangeable out to 150m. I moved away from VHT powders a little while ago and now use Hodgdon H4350. The load is 47.7grn, Federal Large Rifle Primers CoL 71.7mm. It's a slightly compressed load but there is not signs of pressure.

Normal caveats and cautions apply on using others homeloading data.

Hope that helps

FN

Hi DCG

Yes, I have. I normally use 140grn BTs but wanted a lighter bullet so experimented with 120grn. I pretty much started from scratch in working up a load and actually ended up with exactly the same one as I use for the 140grn. What is also interesting is that they carry the same 100m zero and are interchangeable out to 150m. I moved away from VHT powders a little while ago and now use Hodgdon H4350. The load is 47.7grn, Federal Large Rifle Primers CoL 71.7mm. It's a slightly compressed load but there is not signs of pressure.

Hope that helps

FN

FN, why did you move away from Vhit??

7-08 120gn balistic tips

Hi DCG

Hope that helps

FN

Fabnosh,
Thanks for the reply, that's extremely interesting, I was hoping to get a slightly flatter trajectory, is there much difference in the results at the impact end of the job. I tend to use 139 gn spire points with n140, although I am currently working up a load with Varget for the winter, do you find any particular benefit with H4350.

Hi BK

There were two reasons - not sure they are related but they both had an impact. Firstly, I was finding the cost of VHT powders continually going up and as they only came in 1 kilo tubs (well that's all I could get hold of) this was a big hit everytime I went shopping. Secondly, I was chrono'ing a lot of different loads and finding that, despite what everyone seemed to be saying shouldn't happen with VHT powders, I was getting some temp variations giving about a 40fps variance which was noticeably changing the PoI and that worried me a bit. In looking for another powder I'd heard about H4350 and gave it a try and been really happy with the results.

FN

FN, why did you move away from Vhit??

Hi DCG

After 150m they are pretty much identicle (as I mentioned) by thereafter the 140's drop off more than the 120's so you'll be getting that flatter trajectory you're looking for. In terms of terminal ballistics I'd be pushed to tell the difference between the two other than things don't move that far after meeting one of either weight. Actually, thinking about it, the last fox I hit with a 120 seemed to sustain more damage at 60m than a similar ranged fox with a 140.

Hope that helps

FN

Fabnosh,
Thanks for the reply, that's extremely interesting, I was hoping to get a slightly flatter trajectory, is there much difference in the results at the impact end of the job. I tend to use 139 gn spire points with n140, although I am currently working up a load with Varget for the winter, do you find any particular benefit with H4350.

7-08

Hi DCG

After 150m they are pretty much identicle (as I mentioned) by thereafter the 140's drop off more than the 120's so you'll be getting that flatter trajectory you're looking for. In terms of terminal ballistics I'd be pushed to tell the difference between the two other than things don't move that far after meeting one of either weight. Actually, thinking about it, the last fox I hit with a 120 seemed to sustain more damage at 60m than a similar ranged fox with a 140.

Hope that helps

FN

Hi Fabnosh
Thats really what I was looking for. As to velocity, I must admit that I don't own a chronograph (must get one as I did have limited access to one) but did feel that the velocity/feel of the round had dropped off a little when out hind stalking in sub zero temps, hence trying Varget which is renowned for its temperature tolerance.

Try 50 gns of WW760 behind a 120. The nosler 120 bts have a stiff jacket similiar to there 140 so are good on medium game - pigs, fallow and reds. Popular here and in NZ in the 7/08.

Hey there DCG , I've been using Varget for a few years now and for the same reasons as you. Our tempuratures can vary 60 degrees C over the course of the year. The loads I've used show very little velocity variation( I do own a chrony and check my loads regularly) Great powder , I hope it shoots well in your rifle.

Good hunting, Alberta Boy

Back