A nice six pointer

243varmint

Shot this buck last sunday morning on a permission 5 mins down the road.
Here are some pics after i boiled him out.

sixpointer015-1.jpg

sixpointer016.jpg

sixpointer007.jpg

sixpointer006.jpg

sixpointer003.jpg

sixpointer003.jpg

sixpointer012.jpg

sixpointer014.jpg

Quite pleased with the result.
I think he might be 3 or 4 years old, what do you guys think
Is it worth getting measured?

Jonathon

John
i hear you can pick up a gold from your local spar shop, for about 60p a pint :lol: :lol:
not that i'm an expert but it does look a little unevenly balanced and not quite symetrical with the coronets a little on the slim side
so i'm guessing it wont carry enough weight either
but who knows it might go bronze if you are lucky but feel it is unlikely from the pic
but still a very nice first buck ;)

450g will be in bronze CIC status dependant on the other variations.
However they should be allowed (i think it is) 3 months to dry out, so that will reduce it a bit.

Dependant on where you are? there are a few chaps to measure it in the south of england.

Looks like it might be a little light in weight. The bleaching of the antlers wont help as this affects overall natural colouring. Nice head though.

Looking at the teeth, he is 2 or 3 years old. Looking at the photos there is no wear on the molars. It is not a scientific process and there wil be many guesses to the age.

By a Swedish Quik-Fix formula it is about 102.8 points but will lose points as it dries out .
Bronze starts at 105 so I do not think it will make the grade .
Do NOT cut the scull though as there is a standard deduction for an uncut scull in the C.I.C. formula .

HWH.

Jonathon

If you're going to be at Cirencester tomorrow I can stick my gold medal head in the car and we can compare - mine only just made gold but you can gauge your head alongside it if that would help?

willie_gunn

I think he might be 3 or 4 years old, what do you guys think

Jonathon,

Nice buck!
I think you are right. More likely 3 (2nd head) I would say. Although it would be good to see the teeth from the top not from the side..

Greg

Years ago I learned not to judge a roe's age on its antler formation. I have picked up 1yo six pointers that had their 3 crown still attached.

Nice high head but probably too lightly built to get a gong.

Try measuring it yourself green and when dry, it's a quite interesting exercise and helps you gauge bucks in the field a bit better.

Anyway it's not about winning, it's about the taking part! :)

Back