Dam theres a lot of rifles to choose from !!

shrek1

Hi
After visiting 3 gun shops and some phone calls and a lot of miles on the road have finally bought my first .243 rifle. After looking at new and second hand guns and totally getting some thing different to what I had in mind when I set out this morning which was a second hand or may be a new Howa 1500 package. I finally ended up with a Tika T3 with a Burris four X 3x12x56mm scope.
so after seeing all sorts of rifles and prices too I sit here now with my head spinning with rifle/scope over load thinking I hope I have bought a set up to last me a good few years !!:eek:

Don't panic I think for a factory rifle you won't go wrong with a t3 you hear so many reports of them shooting great groups! The 243 is a great calibre if anything a bit out if fashion at the moment to the 6.5 calibres! Some may say it's to small for big reds. But that's another argument I personally have no trouble with mine if you are shooting deer near your boundries you might wish for more bullet weight sometimes but if your rifle is dual purpose, and you are gonna use it for foxing aswell then 243 is perfect, I take it you took advantage of the offer from gmk with the scope package?! I'm sure you will be very pleased with your purchase and if you decide to go down the semi custom route in a few years time you have a great basis there already. I'm sure someone will disagree but this is just my opinion happy shooting:D

rob

Hi
After visiting 3 gun shops and some phone calls and a lot of miles on the road have finally bought my first .243 rifle. After looking at new and second hand guns and totally getting some thing different to what I had in mind when I set out this morning which was a second hand or may be a new Howa 1500 package. I finally ended up with a Tika T3 with a Burris four X 3x12x56mm scope.
so after seeing all sorts of rifles and prices too I sit here now with my head spinning with rifle/scope over load thinking I hope I have bought a set up to last me a good few years !!:eek:
i know what you mean im thinking of getting the howa package in .308.i have a mate whos keeping a eye out for me as to whats available elsewhere.as hes more knowlegeable than me.
did anything in particular put you off the howa.
atb
stottycake

Hi stottycake
I was really set on having a Howa and it was only at the last shop that I picked up the Tika. I had seen it at the other shops but keep thinking stick to your budget. But after handling the rifle it just seemed to fit me very well.
I liked the finish better and the bolt action, not that the Howa was terrible. This is only my opinion and I am by no means an expert. All I say is go with an open mind lol

Hi stottycake
I was really set on having a Howa and it was only at the last shop that I picked up the Tika. I had seen it at the other shops but keep thinking stick to your budget. But after handling the rifle it just seemed to fit me very well.
I liked the finish better and the bolt action, not that the Howa was terrible. This is only my opinion and I am by no means an expert. All I say is go with an open mind lol
hi shrek1.
thats what im thinking keep to my budget but the more i keep looking the more frustrated :banghead:im getting.its when youve got the money burning a hole in your pocket.if i dont spend it on a 308 soon itl get wasted on something else:cry:
atb
stotty

I thought Howa, bought Tikka T3 and have no regrets, great rifle, excellent accuracy suits me perfectly! (also in .243 and it's not had a problem delivering humane kills yet!)

I thought Howa, bought Tikka T3 and have no regrets, great rifle, excellent accuracy suits me perfectly! (also in .243 and it's not had a problem delivering humane kills yet!)
Do you have a moderator fitted ? And if so which one did you go for.

hi shrek1.
thats what im thinking keep to my budget but the more i keep looking the more frustrated :banghead:im getting.its when youve got the money burning a hole in your pocket.if i dont spend it on a 308 soon itl get wasted on something else:cry:
atb
stotty
All I can say is get on the road and visit some shops most of the staff and owners of the shops will not only have a lot of knowlage of the guns they sell but most will have shot a lot of different makes and models as well. I have to say that the third shop I went to and actually bought my gun from was the one I felt most at ease with although the first shop had the Tika that I bought.

Don't panic I think for a factory rifle you won't go wrong with a t3 you hear so many reports of them shooting great groups! The 243 is a great calibre if anything a bit out if fashion at the moment to the 6.5 calibres! Some may say it's to small for big reds. But that's another argument I personally have no trouble with mine if you are shooting deer near your boundries you might wish for more bullet weight sometimes but if your rifle is dual purpose, and you are gonna use it for foxing aswell then 243 is perfect, I take it you took advantage of the offer from gmk with the scope package?! I'm sure you will be very pleased with your purchase and if you decide to go down the semi custom route in a few years time you have a great basis there already. I'm sure someone will disagree but this is just my opinion happy shooting:D

rob
Thanks for the reassuring post Rob, my gun I think was a package deal.

Yes, but I'm not 100% sure I'd go for the same one again. I got a Wildcat Predator 8.

+ quiet, much quieter than a friend's CMM4
+ really reduces any muzzle flip
+ stripable/cleanable
+ it's short/over-barrel and so doesn't make my rifle look/feel about 3m long

- it's heavy
- it's really heavy
- did I mention it's heavy?

(being heavy doesn't bother me too much now I'm used to it, I also carry my rifle muzzle down (i find easier/quicker to get on sticks) which makes a world of difference)

BUT I've not compared with others. The T8 looks as big/heavy, others make your rifle a million feet long so I think it's a case of 'each to their own'... Have a look, see what you get on with, don't rush it!

Last edited:
I've just bought another .308 after much hunting around. I wanted a varminter which cuts the options down somewhat. Rather than being overwhelmed by the choice I didn't really like any of the new models I could afford. I looked at CZ550, a Howa 1500 and a Remmington VLS. None of them really did it. I wanted a s/h Sako 75 but couldn't find one. In the end I stumbled across a Tikka m595, on here, purchased from SD member Flytie to whom I'm much obliged. Its not a varminter but but they're such good quality rifles it doesn't matter. I'm delighted with it.
So I would say always look carefully at the second hand market. There are some fine rifles out there so keep your eyes and your options open.

With the T3 light I'd got for a light mod like a Atec CMM4 Alu. Had one on my .260 for about 600rounds and it's done fine.
There are quieter out there but not at 250grams.

ASE are great but they are mostly cans of beans and will spoil balance.

Roedale is an option but not used one.

I've just bought another .308 after much hunting around. I wanted a varminter which cuts the options down somewhat. Rather than being overwhelmed by the choice I didn't really like any of the new models I could afford. I looked at CZ550, a Howa 1500 and a Remmington VLS. None of them really did it. I wanted a s/h Sako 75 but couldn't find one. In the end I stumbled across a Tikka m595, on here, purchased from SD member Flytie to whom I'm much obliged. Its not a varminter but but they're such good quality rifles it doesn't matter. I'm delighted with it.
So I would say always look carefully at the second hand market. There are some fine rifles out there so keep your eyes and your options open.
Yes I have to agree with the second hand rifles that I had a look most looked as if they had seen a lot of action.

shrek 1
If i may make a suggestion.only a few days ago I read an article about people not sticking to one rifle for long
You have got a good rifle stick with it there is no reason it should not last you years if basic care is taken of it.
dont be swayed by fashion or others opinions better to get used to one rifle and feel comfortable with it if you keep swapping and changing your shooting may suffer the only one to gain from swapping and changing will be the dealer.
thke it from this:old: the rifle I soot best with I have owned for many years

shrek 1
If i may make a suggestion.only a few days ago I read an article about people not sticking to one rifle for long
You have got a good rifle stick with it there is no reason it should not last you years if basic care is taken of it.
dont be swayed by fashion or others opinions better to get used to one rifle and feel comfortable with it if you keep swapping and changing your shooting may suffer the only one to gain from swapping and changing will be the dealer.
thke it from this:old: the rifle I soot best with I have owned for many years
Thanks for the advice,when I first started looking for a rifle I was going to buy a s/h rifle and then upgrade in a few months. But thought that if I bought a new rifle then it would last me for years And I would know the history of the gun.

My 243 sako is now at least 25 Years old.kriko 22hornet for foxes is so old I carnt remember exactly how old not many people remember ther being a gun shop in Wetherby whare it came from!!

Mate have the same rifle and can only say good things about it ,mines sports an Ase Utra mod which again I cant fault.The one thing I did do tho is reduce the trigger wait but thats just me

Atb with it Billy

Mate have the same rifle and can only say good things about it ,mines sports an Ase Utra mod which again I cant fault.The one thing I did do tho is reduce the trigger wait but thats just me

Atb with it Billy
Thanks for the advice

Back