Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ash Tree Woes!!

Unhappy Ash Tree Woes!!

Just been to a meeting tonight and heard about a new tree disease which is about to be announced. It doesn't sound good!
    'Ash Tree Dieback Disease' has been on the continent but looks to have reached our shores. Proper name is 'Chalara fraxinea' and is caused by a fungus.
    It looks set to kill off about 95% of all Ash trees and occurs very rapidly.
    This is a real blow for our woodlands after the problems with Elms and Oaks of recent years. Doesn't look like there is much that can be done about it either.
    Spores are carried by the wind which is why it has appeared in the South East no doubt.
    I think it will hit the news very soon.

Ash Dieback got a mention in Farm Woodland News, sounds dire. Hopefully it will be contained. It has been an awful couple of years for ash in the north east of Scotland. Early warmth followed by late frost have killed apical buds on two years running. Young tree form has taken a real battering and now this year a cracking frost out the blue has led to a heavy green leaf drop so the trees will be entering winter without the usual reserves of nutrients. Maybe next year will be a kinder one.

I park my car under an ash tree............

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I park my car under an ash tree............
    I'd move it (the car)!!

I better make room in my yard for some excellent fire wood! Here's the link to the Fera- Information pertaining to ash-dieback (Chalara fraxinea) work at Fera

a couple on interesting videos on there.
    Last edited by Paul 600; 25-10-2012 at 06:24.

A good time to start up my logging business then I think

It's not that long since they thought wifi was killing ash trees, I wonder if this is linked? Trees in this country seem to be under constant threat, bleeding canker of horse chestnut, phytophthora ramorum, Dothistroma needle blight, they all look to doom their particular species of tree. It's only a matter of time until one of them jumps onto Sitka and the entire forestry industry will be ruined! Still, plenty of work to come!!

I think I might just keep my chainsaw omly joking I'll slice them when they have fallen. Such a shame as this is the eqivulent as gold bars in the timber industry.

We have had it over here in Norway for 2-3 years at least. Just this morning I was writing a tree report for the local council involving trees affected by ash dieback. The change in climate has opened the door for a lot of new diseases/ pests that we didn't have before. Luckily the winter slows the spread of dutch elm disease.

Its a bit late stopping the importation of these trees though bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted