Where are all the acorns??

Monkey Spanker

Last year we had more acorns than i've ever seen in my life! I'm not sure if it is linked, but there seem to be more squirrels this year than ever before. This year I've not seen a single acorn??? I'm sure the birds will be more reliant on the feeders this year too!
The sweet chestnuts seem fairly underweight too. I normally find a good few inside muntjac but haven't yet this year.
Is everyone seeing the same throughout the land?
MS

Yes, a very poor crop of acorns this year in my woods.
Bad news for deer, squirrels, jays, pheasants and all the other creatures
that eat them.

Sweet chestnut and berry crops seem good to me, possibly not sloes but there seems to be plenty of hawthorn and alike for the winter thrushes. Acorns if memory serves me come on a cycle, as do quite a few others, I know sloes had a bumper year last year as I still have about 3kg in the freezer to transform into something lovely this winter......Strange though, MS and Spud both being in the same neck of the woods as me.....

Plenty of blackberries, damsons and elderberries but sloes thin on the ground. Usually see the deer going round and round the Oak trees eating the acorns but most trees have very few and those that did have better numbers were very heavily laden. They did fall very early this year so maybe all this wet weather had something to do with it.

Like you MS last year unindated with acorns this year none i have counted three under tree outside my house (last year it had an acorn carpet) after reading your post. Everywhere i have been in Cheshire there are very few the wildlife that rely on them will struggle this winter Pigeons especially. This year in Cheshire no one seems to be shooting many Pigeons is it the same in other area's.

Jimbo

Like you MS last year unindated with acorns this year none i have counted three under tree outside my house (last year it had an acorn carpet) after reading your post. Everywhere i have been in Cheshire there are very few the wildlife that rely on them will struggle this winter Pigeons especially. This year in Cheshire no one seems to be shooting many Pigeons is it the same in other area's.

Jimbo
Well we have no acorn's in cornwall but we do have loads of pigeons.we have shot 2000 since august.The best year ever and look out we have 300 acres of oilseed rape.This could send the deer out of the woods sooner this year. woodfordfallow

Very few acorns that's true but several conker trees seem to have a good crop ?
woodfordfallow we too had one of our best seasons on pigeons we started July 10th finished 9th October and shot 27,000 !!!!!
regards andy

Very few acorns that's true but several conker trees seem to have a good crop ?
woodfordfallow we too had one of our best seasons on pigeons we started July 10th finished 9th October and shot 27,000 !!!!!
regards andy

You must have had all of ours!;)

Had a very poor year for woodies up here this year.

Blackberries, hawthorn and holly all showing well. Sloes.....hardly any. Loads of hazelnuts but the squirrels had them before I had a chance to pick some. The orchard I used to go to to get my damsons has had every damson tree removed...why I dont know.
Going to be a tough winter for the birds this year I suspect.

Not seen any acorns.
Hardly saw any pigeons out feeding this year but shot more than i have ever done before so that is strange.

bumper crop of acorns last year, it will be another 3yrs before we get another

We have no damsons, plums, sloes, chestnuts, acorns, and very few brambles, the hawthorns berries are there but just average.
You would have thought with all the rain the fruit would have been good, but they're was also no sun, very noticeable the lack of fruit this year.

Moose

Nothing's done very well down here this year including the maize,got to be down to all the wet weather i think,even the rabbits seem to have suffered.

Same here plenty of hawthorn, the earlier blackberry mostly rotted before ripening in the wet autumn as did the apple and pear. No sloe, damson or acorn to be seen. Expecting a tough winter for wildlife in general this year
Wingy

Back