Last Roe of the season.

I made my way down to my permission in the New Forest this week for my last opportunity to bag a Roe buck.

My first afternoon/evening stalk drew a blank, I saw one buck in the distance but the wind was completely against me and by the time I had worked my way around the fields and woods he was long gone. I couldn't even tell what sort of head he was sporting. I saw a couple of does with this years twins still in tow but otherwise not a buck in sight.

The next morning I was up and out just after 0700. Luckily my parents house backs right onto my ground. I entered the first field and on the far side I made out a buck going back to cover in a thick hedge. No chance to get close to him.

I made my way down the field and to a suitable vantage point between two woods with a stream in front of me, bending round to my left where it disappeared just behind me into a narrow strip of wood. There was a wide open field in front of which would offer a safe shot should anything be moving about. I stayed there about an hour. A doe and twins came out from my left and browsed on the bushes on the edge of the stream. Eventually they couched down in the grass and seemed quite happy to stay there.

I moved off quietly and headed off up the edge of one wood to over look a field which looks the type Roe would love to be in, sheltered, not far to reach cover, plenty of food in the hedges and in the field but in all the years I've been shooting over this piece of ground, have never seen a buck in there. Today was no different but for another doe and twins who were heading towards me at an alarming rate. Something had spooked them at the far end of the field. They stopped ten yards short of me and made off into the wood behind me without realising I was there.

I hung about for a while longer but the ground was now seemingly devoid of deer. Slightly disappointed my Roe season was now over I decided to head back to the folks for breakfast.

On a whim I thought I might as well see if I could catch up with the buck I had seen a couple of hours earlier. It was over on the far side of my ground and I don't venture there much as it is on the boundary and there are a couple of houses quite close.

It meant me walking up the narrow strip of wood I mentioned earlier to get the right side of the wind. I soon discovered it was a mistake. The ground under the trees was saturated being slightly lower than the fields. I made a hell of a noise so I gave up and came out, wandered up the field edge and got through the strip about three hundred metres further up. Unsurprisingly there was no sign of a deer.

I walked into one field had a look round, and went back into another. This one dipped down in the middle with a wet area lined with some sparse bramble patches. I flicked the binoculars around and walked on. As I did, buck almost magically appeared from behind one of the brambles. I looked through the bins and it was a buck I'd seen earlier in the season, a malform five pointer. I hadn't been able to get a safe shot on him previously and this was only the second time I'd seen him.

He looked a good beast but with a poor head and my mind was made up. He couldn't go to my left because of the houses at the top of the field, he could only go right and back to cover. This meant he would have to cross in front of me so I readied the rifle on the sticks and tracked him as he made his way across the field. He wasn't alarmed and I'm not sure he really knew anything was amiss. He stopped to take a look around and that was enough. I settled the cross hairs on his chest and from just under 100 metres away, touched off the trigger.

I heard the satisfying thwack of bullet meeting flesh and the buck took off like a scalded cat, ran down a hedge and disappeared into the strip of woods. He showed no outward sign of being hit, no reaction to the shot, just a straight bolt for cover at the sound of the rifle.

I reloaded and waited. I'm sure I didn't miss, I know I heard the hit so was a little puzzled and also slightly concerned at the lack of reaction.

I made my way across the field to the place he was standing when I took the shot. My concerns were immediately laid to rest. There was a massive blood trail, bright red blood was sprayed everywhere, all over the grass, on the surrounding vegetation with pieces of tissue mixed in.

DSC_0466.jpgDSC_0467.jpgDSC_0468.jpg

The track the buck had taken was marked out clearly and I knew he would be dead not too far away. I followed the blood trail to where I has seen him enter the cover. He had gone under a barbed wire fence, the blood was clear to see. It was obviously a good heart shot.

DSC_0469.jpgDSC_0470.jpg

Inside the cover, the blood trail was stronger. The buck had lost alot of blood and had struggled to make it as far as it did. I found him about fifteen metres inside stone dead.
His head although not great but to me a nice one as I like those which are a little different.
I dropped the guts out of him and removed the heart and lungs. As you can see from the photo, the bottom of the heart was completely shot away. The bullet had struck slightly lower than I wanted but the end result was a heart shot and a clean kill which is what we all strive for so I didn't beat myself up for shooting an inch too low!

DSC_0463.jpgDSC_0465.jpg

Here are a few more pics. Apologies if there are a few but I've just got a new camera....... ;)

Attachments

• Picture 50168.jpg
    Picture 50168.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 158
  • Picture 50174.jpg
    Picture 50174.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 50176.jpg
    Picture 50176.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 50178.jpg
    Picture 50178.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture 50179.jpg
    Picture 50179.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 131
A C a dam good write up for a saturday morning read also some good pictures .thats what make the S D site
Keep them coming so every body can enjoy all the best in the furture .

DJC:

Nice mate but here in scotland we have been nocking does over for a while now enjoy the does some times as good as buck stalking.

Fantastic write up and great photos too! Always interesting to see the kind of blood trails left, nicely documented! Lovely looking rifle too, the wood stock really has more finesse than a carbon fibre job

Nice mate but here in scotland we have been nocking does over for a while now enjoy the does some times as good as buck stalking.

Thank you for your comments Gents much appreciated.

There are several older does on the ground which need culling and a few youngsters too so am looking forward to getting out again next month.

**Edit**

Title should've read 'Last Roe buck of the season'.

Last edited:
Thanks, I enjoyed reading that! It reminded me of my Sunday morning near Durham, only my story doesn't have any deer in it unfortunately.

Good looking rifle :)
Steyr-Mannlicher and Zeiss Duralyt combo from the Sportsman's Gun Centre? I have one of those on my shopping list in 7mm-08, but with a full stock.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the rifle is a Steyr-Mannlicher/Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 combo from the Sportsman. They seem to be Marmite rifles, love 'em or hate 'em but I love mine and wouldn't swap it.

The only thing I don't like are the Warne vertical mounts.

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, the rifle is a Steyr-Mannlicher/Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 combo from the Sportsman. They seem to be Marmite rifles, love 'em or hate 'em but I love mine and wouldn't swap it.

The only thing I don't like are the Warne vertical mounts.

They're lovely rifles. I can't wait to have mine, although I'll probably upgrade the mounts at some point. Could you please tell me how wide the swivels are? I'm going to need a sling, but I'd rather not be restricted to whatever choice they happen to have in the shop when I pick it up, especially as I have a penchant for custom-made leather accessories.

AdrianC

Brilliant write up glad you had new camra as the pictures are also good. I like the head, your rifle looks the part and it's good to see someone else uses a Spaniel (mine is a Springer). Thanks for sharing your adventure/stalk.

Kind regards Jimbo :thumb:

They're lovely rifles. I can't wait to have mine, although I'll probably upgrade the mounts at some point. Could you please tell me how wide the swivels are? I'm going to need a sling, but I'd rather not be restricted to whatever choice they happen to have in the shop when I pick it up, especially as I have a penchant for custom-made leather accessories.

The internal measurement of the swivels is 25mm. :thumb:

AdrianC

Brilliant write up glad you had new camra as the pictures are also good. I like the head, your rifle looks the part and it's good to see someone else uses a Spaniel (mine is a Springer). Thanks for sharing your adventure/stalk.

Kind regards Jimbo :thumb:

Cheers Jim, although the Spaniel didn't come stalking with me on this occasion - she's only thirteen weeks. I hope she will be coming with me in the not too distant future...... ;)

Back