Boar FAC Condition

Hi bk, for what it's worth, west Mercia will give boar on ticket on condition of proven need, either a permission with boar on it or proof of shooting opportunity booked and agreed although I only have personal experience of the former as am lucky to have boar on my ground.

Home office guidelines say minimum .270 but, as we all know, each force has its own way of doing things!! Probably not necessary to point out but .243 is not man enough for the job. 7mm-08 (with right bullet) or .444 will be just fine.

Have fun and happy boar hunting.

They told me I need to show them a booking and/or permission to shoot boar and they will add it for my .308. I am getting mine done this month, having already booked my first boar shoot with Collin!

243 will easily do the job as will my 257 but as always shot placement is the key.

Ian.
Trust me Ian, it isn't! Home office guidance states minimum .270 which is about right although I would advocate 7mm minimum personally. I have seen a decent sized boar take a well placed 100gr .243 bullet 200 yards from cover and never found it. It is only when you handle/gralloch/skin/butcher a few of these animals that you realise just what you are asking of your bullet I.e. punch through mud, thick matted hair, tough hide, layers of fat, bone that is tougher and denser than any deer and then, only then does your bullet get access to the vitals! Yes, if you are at close range and absolutely certain of your shot you will probably be ok. However, as ethical sportsmen I think we should select the right tool to do the job properly and would wish to place on record that I still firmly believe that .243 is not man enough for the job.

No doubt youve all heard the tales of the bloke that's shot a few with his .222 and got away with it. However i can also report an injured boar found last season with a .22 cf bullet in its back along with a load of maggots. Now clearly bullet placement is important and I accept that a very well placed head or cavity shot from a .243 at modest range will probably be ok on smaller boar most of the time but I maintain that this is irresponsible. Not as irresponsible as that idiot shooting one with a .30 cal air rifle in Hungary on You Tube who will have further encouraged the inexperienced to try to shoot large animals with the wrong kit.

I appreciate that there are loads of .243 owners out there convinced that the calibre is the best thing since sliced bread and capable of doing everything the larger calibres can and I am not not wanting to start a fight with all the .243 fans out there, just saying horses for courses and .243 is great for many applications but this ain't one of them.

Only my opinion but based upon some considerable experience. Out of nearly 100 boar shot by me or my mates/guests, we have lost 4, 2 of which were shot with a .243, against my better judgement. And never again!

I can sense a flood of posts professing to have killed boar with a pea shooter or an air pistol coming any minute!

Also, bk has 2 great calibres for the job - 7mm-08 and .444 marlin. Why take a penknife to a sword fight?

Last edited:
Well apparently they've issued my cert so just need to wait for my FEO to come round with it.I've got .243 and 7-08 okayed for boar and .444 for target and boar but not deer or fox.

Penyard, i am not advocating the use of a 243 for boar the same as i dont think its enough for large deer but i think we can agree it can be done.
For me .270" should be the minimum for large deer as well as boar, personally i would prefer a 180grn bullet from a 30-06.

Ian.

Penyard, i am not advocating the use of a 243 for boar the same as i dont think its enough for large deer but i think we can agree it can be done.
For me .270" should be the minimum for large deer as well as boar, personally i would prefer a 180grn bullet from a 30-06.

Ian.

Ian, could not agree more. Can be done but probably shouldn't! 180gr from 30-06 is bad medicine and leaves no question unanswered. Phew, thought I was about to get the .243 owners club out to lynch me!

All the best

Penyard

Well apparently they've issued my cert so just need to wait for my FEO to come round with it.I've got .243 and 7-08 okayed for boar and .444 for target and boar but not deer or fox.

Nice work bk. 7mm-08 and .444 cover all bases and I'm sure will serve you well. I've no experience of .444 but common sense says a big slow heavy bullet will do the biz. Got mates who swear by them for boar, have fun and look forward to hearing about the results.

Kind regards

Penyard

Ian, could not agree more. Can be done but probably shouldn't! 180gr from 30-06 is bad medicine and leaves no question unanswered. Phew, thought I was about to get the .243 owners club out to lynch me!

All the best

Penyard

The 243 is a superb cartridge for the purpose it was intended for........long range varminting!

Ian.

License is back with a slot for .444 for boar and target.

Like a pleb I forgot to list it for deer too but Ill amend that if I ever put a 1 for 1 in.

Back