Boot Dryer

reddeer256

Hi,
my girls have asked me what I want for xmas and was thinking about a boot dryer.

Has anyone used one and could comment - all pro's and con's welcome.

R

Hi,
my girls have asked me what I want for xmas and was thinking about a boot dryer.

Has anyone used one and could comment - all pro's and con's welcome.

R

Hi Reddeer256.

I got one of these last year, and it is very good :-

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/beha-skotorker-and-welly-warmer.html

Has 4 tubes, so you can either have 2 tubes per boot, or 2 pairs of boots on the go..... FAB !!! Good for drying, or for taking the sting out of cold boots before you put them on... Has a timer dial so you can flick on for up to 30 / 60 / 90 / 180 mins. Does not get too hot, and my boots have shown no ill effects from usage.

All the best.

Neil.

What's wrong with putting them on top of a radiator I've been doing this with a pair of Le Chameau Vierzonords for 4 years without them falling to bits.

Rick

Seeland do boot dryers £12.99 looks very good buy,check them out on seelands web site hope this halos bazil

Seeland do boot dryers £12.99 looks very good buy,check them out on seelands web site hope this halos bazil

I have a pair of these but they are no good for long boots e.g. wellies because the cable joining the two heaters is too short. And they are not very effective, very low powered, would need to run overnight to achieve much drying. I keep them with my walking boots for use when travelling. Mine are branded "Balfour shoe warmer" and cost £8.50.

See http://www.swillingtonshootingsupplies.co.uk/store/product/2458/Boot-Dryer-Boot-Warmer/

At home I have a Clas Olson drier, the four-tube wall mounted version.

Everything for the DIYer. Shop online. Always low prices – clasohlson.com

An excellent device. Mostly just use on cool air setting to air sweaty wellies, but two heat settings are available for drying or warming. Superb for drying sailing wet-boots etc. Also comes with an adapter to dry gloves/mittens/socks etc. Mine's fitted in a cupboard for hanging coats etc. and the waste heat dries them out nicely too. Clockwork timer cuts off after up to 60 minutes so you can't leave it running by accident.

The standalone two-tube version looks good if you don't want to screw the bigger unit to the wall.

I have a pair of these but they are no good for long boots e.g. wellies because the cable joining the two heaters is too short. And they are not very effective, very low powered, would need to run overnight to achieve much drying. I keep them with my walking boots for use when travelling. Mine are branded "Balfour shoe warmer" and cost £8.50.

Sharpie, I'm thinking about buying some of these for my wife to warm her shoes in the morning. I appreciate they're not great for drying but, in your opinion, do they work well as warmers? Or would she need to have them plugged in for a few hours to feel the benefit? Thanks!

Sharpie, I'm thinking about buying some of these for my wife to warm her shoes in the morning. I appreciate they're not great for drying but, in your opinion, do they work well as warmers? Or would she need to have them plugged in for a few hours to feel the benefit? Thanks!

Dear mrjimsmith, since we have not been properly introduced (see New Members Please Post an Introduction) I couldn't possibly comment on your wife's need for drying out, warming nor plugging in to feel the benefit. Perhaps you should address your concern to Mrs Mills at The Times.

Failing that, I can assure you that the boot warmers are not much use for comfort, but quite useful for gentle drying overnight, using very little electricity. They are rated at 8 watts (total i.e. 4 watts per boot) and maximum 55 Celcius. I think they use PTC thermistors so are self regulating.

FYI I have made the following measurements warming my heavy Scarpa 4 season mountaineering boots using an infrared thermometer:

Start temp. ambient 15 c (I don't heat my hall)

15 minutes, exterior boot toe, 20c, interior 25.

1 hour exterior 23 interior 30.

Several hours, exterior 25 interior 33.

So the "warmers" manage to raise the internal temperature by 18 degrees above ambient. This is good for very slowly drying leather boots, ideal for modern ones with a goretex membrane that needs a temperature differential to drive moisture vapour out.

To warm your wife's shoes a little bit they would have to be left on for several hours/overnight. Would use negligible electricity at only 8 watts max.

As I said, they are fine for overnight airing of gently used boots, but if you want efficient rapid airing/drying of damp or soaked boots then one of the blown-air devices works so much better.

Back