1.5 kg Good stewing venison... I used "Red" yesterday.... trimmed & cut into 15-20mm(ish) thick bits

250g Shallots (peeled and halved)

250g Mushrooms (Chestnut, rustic chopped.. large)

2 carrots (large) (peeled and chopped)

1 large tin tomatoes

2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)

1/2 pint Chicken stock (just a knorr stock cube)

2 teaspoons of Colman's English mustard. I also season with a couple of generous pinches (about 1/4 teaspoon) of dark gravy salt.

Dash (es) of Olive oil.

1/2 Bottle of good beefy, tannic, red wine

Fried off (sealed) the diced meat in a very hot wok and some olive oil. Started casserole pot off with a sploosh of olive oil and fried off shallots and carrots for a few minutes while the venison was in the wok, sealing.

Then added everything else to the casserole pot and made sure the all the jus went in from the wok...

Cooked at about 180 degrees C for about 1 3/4 to 2 hours. Checked and stirred occasionally and a little more Red vin added to keep everything covered in moist lovliness.

Served with veg of choice (brussels sprouts & chestnuts... with bacon... and sweet corn... in our case) Plus mashed tatties (creamed with philly)

If you wanted to go more Provencale, less Bourguignon... add 200g of black olives... and leave out the vino but... up the stock to compensate.

Fed eight adults... just... :-) Very tasty, super tender.

10 mins work and then a 1 3/4 hr wait.... easy peasy. My commis chef did the veg...