batch problems?

User00003

my last batch of 30-06 fed SP's in 150g were easily shooting 1moa, had 3 rounds left and a new similar box but a new batch number. interestingly the new box had a protruding soft lead point, whereas the previous boxes I had were sitting inside the copper jacket, like a protected point.

in any case, shot a neat 2 shot group with two of the last three rounds to re-fould the bore after cleaning, then another of the new box to check zero with that batch (thinking it'd be about the same POI), 6" low:confused:...then adjusted up 6", right on, then next shot, 6" left, then one more, 4" high and left. I thought, bugger that, adjusted it back 'down' 6" and put the last of the previous batch through, bullseye.

ok back to the new batch, same problem, struggled to get 4-6 moa with the rest of the box,,,what a pile!!

same manufacturer, same bullet, same weight, but the bullet design was different...still, from sub 1" with one batch to +4-6" with the next...a bit weird no? and btw, as I was checking with a few of the 'old' ammo, the rifle was/is shooting as it should.

have you ever seen anything like this before? I feel a bit miffed as it was nearly £30 down the pan and now I'm of course no further in being able to take the rifle out on the hill until I find you ammo and re-zero if for that:mad:

my last batch of 30-06 fed SP's in 150g were easily shooting 1moa, had 3 rounds left and a new similar box but a new batch number. interestingly the new box had a protruding soft lead point, whereas the previous boxes I had were sitting inside the copper jacket, like a protected point.

in any case, shot a neat 2 shot group with two of the last three rounds to re-fould the bore after cleaning, then another of the new box to check zero with that batch (thinking it'd be about the same POI), 6" low:confused:...then adjusted up 6", right on, then next shot, 6" left, then one more, 4" high and left. I thought, bugger that, adjusted it back 'down' 6" and put the last of the previous batch through, bullseye.

ok back to the new batch, same problem, struggled to get 4-6 moa with the rest of the box,,,what a pile!!

same manufacturer, same bullet, same weight, but the bullet design was different...still, from sub 1" with one batch to +4-6" with the next...a bit weird no? and btw, as I was checking with a few of the 'old' ammo, the rifle was/is shooting as it should.

have you ever seen anything like this before? I feel a bit miffed as it was nearly £30 down the pan and now I'm of course no further in being able to take the rifle out on the hill until I find you ammo and re-zero if for that:mad:

Good job you’ve not got a “moderator” to muddy the waters!
:stir:
Cheers

K

Good job you’ve not got a “moderator” to muddy the waters!
:stir:
Cheers

K

he he he, very good.

nah, that's the thing, this was standard Federal ammo, but it's not the rifle, scope or anything, because I could bullseye with residual ammo from the previous batch, on the same day,,it was simply somthing about the identical ammo, but in the new batch with the new Soft Point design that made it spray like shrapnel..very bizare.

I had similar problems with some factory ammo together with loosely crimped bullets and difficult to extract fired rounds. I exchanged the remaining ammunition with the vendor for some of a different make and took up reloading instead, far better when you get the hang of it.atb Tim

I had similar problems with some factory ammo together with loosely crimped bullets and difficult to extract fired rounds. I exchanged the remaining ammunition with the vendor for some of a different make and took up reloading instead, far better when you get the hang of it.atb Tim

I know, but I need to get through a few boxes of factory ammo to free up once used fireformed cases for reloading..that's how I normally do it. I've now got about 150 once fired fed cases that are fireformed, so may just take it as a sign and start reloading for the aught six (which I happily do for my other calibres, just not the aught six yet).

I was reading on one of the reloading forums across the pond , and the opinion was the Federal cases are crap for reloading .
Will try and find the link .
Perhaps Muir could shed some light on this .

ATB

I was reading on one of the reloading forums across the pond , and the opinion was the Federal cases are crap for reloading .
Will try and find the link .
Perhaps Muir could shed some light on this .

ATB

I have not heard of Federal being crap, but Hornady had that rep. The OP probably got a bad LOT (biscuits are made in batches, cartridges are made in LOTs!!) which happens. It sucks but it's the No1 reason for handloading. No surprises.~Muir

I learned many many years ago when you found a specific ammo or reloading component that worked great in your rifle , you buy a long term supply long before you ever run out !

Many many times manufacturers in the USA change something in the middle of the game so to speak and it will throw you a monkey wrench PDQ !

LOL, very true Muir, in Denmark we call them the equivalent of 'batches', it's a translation thing:D

I have not heard of Federal being crap, but Hornady had that rep. The OP probably got a bad LOT (biscuits are made in batches, cartridges are made in LOTs!!) which happens. It sucks but it's the No1 reason for handloading. No surprises.~Muir

on the fed brass front. I've reloaded fed for a while now for other calibres, with absolutely no disappointments tbh, so whilst I'd prefer norma or lapua (who wouldn't) it will suffice for up to 5 reloads for normal stalking purposes;)

Back