Pulley blocks

Uncle Norm

A few years ago my pal had a set of pulleys that were ideal. They were triple wheels, made of brass and of about an inch in diameter. They fitted easily into a pocket or small backpack and would lift a Fallow buck with ease. Try as I may I have not been able to find similar ones anywhere. Ideally I would get the type that lock themselves if one lets go of the rope. I have looked on all sorts of sites but am unfamiliar with some of the terms used in describing pulley blocks. Any ideas anyone please ?

I went to a local supplier of lifting gear/tackle the ones I got were for boats perfect stainless bearings and frame and real high lift capacity for such a tiny thing or I guess try a boat spares website???

Wayne

Go to your local chandlers (sailing boat shop) and tell them what you want to do.
A 3 to 1 block set with a jamming device is easy to make from standard dinghy fittings, the sort used on a standard kicking strap will do very well.

View attachment 20889

Neil. :)

Go to your local chandlers (sailing boat shop) and tell them what you want to do.
A 3 to 1 block set with a jamming device is easy to make from standard dinghy fittings, the sort used on a standard kicking strap will do very well.

View attachment 20889

Neil. Thats helpful thanks but could you be a little more specific (Janet and John) please ? What exactly do I look /ask for please ?

Neil. Thats helpful thanks but could you be a little more specific (Janet and John) please ? What exactly do I look /ask for please ?

Just tell them what you want to do with it, and tell them it has been suggested that a simple light dinghy size kicking strap would work.
You should end up with the bits in the picture, the top pulley is a single wheel, with a shackle to support it, and a place to secure the standing end of the rope.
The lower one has 2 pulleys and a jamming device, plus a place to secure a shackle. You add whatever you like or prefer to each end, so one end to the headboard of the truck or trailer, the other end a sliding noose to loop around the head, pull on rope and up she goes.
The pulleys can be as small as you like for your purpose, just so long as they take 6mm rope, thinner is uncomfortable to pull on.
If you want it really easy click here. Then just contact them to say how long you want it.

Last edited:
Been using something like that for years.
Pull up the old bucks with it too.
edi
Image088.jpg

What do you use as a gambrel in the field with your lifting gear? I have a David Stretton stainless folding gambrel, it's strong enough for a red stag but rather heavy to carry.

Either ALDI or LIDL sell them occasionally at around the £6 mark, I have a couple and they have held numerous roe and a few red stags.

A few years ago my pal had a set of pulleys that were ideal. They were triple wheels, made of brass and of about an inch in diameter. They fitted easily into a pocket or small backpack and would lift a Fallow buck with ease. Try as I may I have not been able to find similar ones anywhere. Ideally I would get the type that lock themselves if one lets go of the rope. I have looked on all sorts of sites but am unfamiliar with some of the terms used in describing pulley blocks. Any ideas anyone please ?

Put 'Am Tech Cargo Lifting Pulley Set' into your search engine.
Comes out at about £7 and lifts up to 180kg although you still need a gambrel.
I've also changed the rope on mine from the thin nylon one fitted to a 6mm rope.

Atb

Eddie

Put 'Am Tech Cargo Lifting Pulley Set' into your search engine.
Comes out at about £7 and lifts up to 180kg although you still need a gambrel.
I've also changed the rope on mine from the thin nylon one fitted to a 6mm rope.

Atb

Eddie

That's the one I got from ALDI or LIDL

That's the one I got from ALDI or LIDL

Thanks Eddie and David. I am familiar with this product and in fact bought one a couple of years ago. Whilst useful it is not what I am looking for but thanks for the advice. I am in contact with Kevin Butler (chandler) as advised by Neil (Hornet 6) and he has responded promptly, so looking promising. The boating equipment is more expensive but comes with a 'jammer' or 'cleat' that will prevent the carcass falling onto the ground if I let go of the rope. I now know what a jammer is too ! Old dogs and new tricks eh ?

Beware some blocks are very expensive because they have ball bearings . I use cheapish satinless double block on bottom and double with a jamb on the top. Its is also worthwhile using kevlar cord ot doesnt stretch and is stiif so less prone to gettinmg wrapped up around its self. With a bit of grunt you canlift any beast with ease. On point of caution - do not rely on the jammer I always tie the end of above the block so it cant slip when you have your knife in the beast

just another thing to carry around i find ,i just gralloch on the ground dont even bleed em as i have already put two holes in them ,then get them back to the larder and fanny about with them there .
i find these days i am travelling lighter and lighter .
norma

Back